New Audeze LCD3
Jan 22, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #9,961 of 11,521
  Here is my FR Graph, in case anyone wants to see one with the fazor...

Quote:
  Here's my LCD-3F response chart. 

Compared to these scott and mlxx's pair, mine seem to have a relatively larger 5 kHz dip (about 3db difference) and slightly less sub-bass rolloff. EQ'ing it to "compensate" gives a noticeably different presentation.

Would be interesting if someone can post another recent 3F graph. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #9,962 of 11,521
Okay, I did about 20 hours of burn in (white noise, pink noise, brown noise, silence, sweep, etc. at listening volumes)
For some reason now the imbalance is pretty much gone. I am thoroughly confused. Mono is dead center throughout the audio spectrum and with my spl phone app, both sides are matched to within .5 db (the app goes to 0.1 dbs but I don't believe the app is really more accurate than 0.5db). I am not a firm believer of burn in but I always do it as part of my new headphones ritual. The change has been drastic. Maybe the drivers just needed to settle in or something. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #9,963 of 11,521
  Okay, I did about 20 hours of burn in (white noise, pink noise, brown noise, silence, sweep, etc. at listening volumes)
For some reason now the imbalance is pretty much gone. I am thoroughly confused. Mono is dead center throughout the audio spectrum and with my spl phone app, both sides are matched to within .5 db (the app goes to 0.1 dbs but I don't believe the app is really more accurate than 0.5db). I am not a firm believer of burn in but I always do it as part of my new headphones ritual. The change has been drastic. Maybe the drivers just needed to settle in or something. 

I'm a total believer in burn-in, especially in any audio product with moving parts. You should have heard my Merlin TSM's the first day or two. I was about to throw Bobby P. in the river, but I settled down as the speakers settled in. Should be even more burn-in time for dynamic drivers, but I guess could be true with orthos as well. If they were ES then there's much less of a reason for burn-in. Enjoy your LCD-3F's!!!

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #9,964 of 11,521

Any chance you could be getting over a cold or something else that could have stopped up your ears? 

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #9,965 of 11,521
  Any chance you could be getting over a cold or something else that could have stopped up your ears? 

Great point! I thought my K10's had a driver problem on one side but it turned out just to be a case of rattling ear wax at certain frequencies and volumes. Gross but true!

Although I also seem to remember that he measured the output on both channels using a meter, so unless the meter had a cold as well? 

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #9,966 of 11,521
Great point! I thought my K10's had a driver problem on one side but it turned out just to be a case of rattling ear wax at certain frequencies and volumes. Gross but true!

Although I also seem to remember that he measured the output on both channels using a meter, so unless the meter had a cold as well? 

Ah. I should have read the full series of posts before typing my own. I only thought of it because i have a cold now that is making one side seem muffled

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #9,967 of 11,521
Careful with all this burn-in talk. The no burn-in crowd are always quick to jump in and derail well meaning threads such as this one. I suggest you use language along the lines of "my brain seems to have gotten used to the sound", or "it took me a few weeks to wrap my mind around the different characteristics of the new sound", etc. Woe betides you otherwise.
blink.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #9,968 of 11,521
  Careful with all this burn-in talk. The no burn-in crowd are always quick to jump in and derail well meaning threads such as this one. I suggest you use language along the lines of "my brain seems to have gotten used to the sound", or "it took me a few weeks to wrap my mind around the different characteristics of the new sound", etc. Woe betides you otherwise.
blink.gif

Lol....yes, this burn-in, to me, doesn't make any sense 
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #9,969 of 11,521

I’m a firm believer of burn in, but have never got this kind of result and I don’t think it will affect channel imbalance per se. Much more probably that it is something else IMHO.

The good thing nevertheless what cause it is that the channel imbalance issue seems solved.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #9,970 of 11,521
blink.gif

Well said. 

How's this for the ultimate bait for the different groups of trolls? "I could clearly hear the differences in the hi-res files much better once my high-end cables were fully burned in"

wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #9,971 of 11,521
What the hell... So now people don't believe in burn in ? Well tell that to my lyr tube rolling.

Mee is tired of all these sound science trolls...

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #9,972 of 11,521
What the hell... So now people don't believe in burn in ? Well tell that to my lyr tube rolling.

Mee is tired of all these sound science trolls

I say we round them all up & put them in a locked giant room & then give them the wrong key. Then we can tell them to use "Science" to figure out how to get out.

Unfortunately, we could never find a large enough room. Wait a minute... they're not using the "Space Shuttles" that much...
we'll tell them it's a "Science Weekend Trip" for exceptional minds !!!

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #9,973 of 11,521
Guys, guys, my words were meant to be cautionary to prevent thread derailment. Now it seems I have inspired burn-in believers to do what I was warning against. The irony......
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #9,974 of 11,521
  Guys, guys, my words were meant to be cautionary to prevent thread derailment. Now it seems I have inspired burn-in believers to do what I was warning against. The irony......
evil_smiley.gif

Wait a minute... I really don't see any "non burn-in" cultists chiming in (Did you just smoke some good stuff ?better ease off on those tokes buddy !  or for sure you may attract their attention) (Mums the word!)

(Had I known this fact, my first posting in this thread...probably doesn't occur) (They may be at at "Non-Burn in" convention)

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #9,975 of 11,521
  Wait a minute... I really don't see any "non burn-in" cultists chiming in (Did you just smoke some good stuff ?better ease off on those tokes buddy !  or for sure you may attract their attention) (Mums the word!)

(Had I known this fact, my first posting in this thread...probably doesn't occur) (They may be at at "Non-Burn in" convention)

beerchug.gif

19 hours and 8 posts a new Head-Fi (Burn in doesn't exist) record

Users who are viewing this thread

Back