New Audeze LCD3
Feb 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #8,626 of 11,521
If you are near a Sam Ash store, they usually stock the 8020s in their pro studio rooms.  I did my auditioning at the Times Square main store.  I like the subs that matched with the 8050 back when, but decide against them as most of my music did not require a sub.

I use XLR inputs into my 8050.  Either from my Roland keyboards or Grace M903.

Quote:

I'm really leaning towards getting 8020b (BTW any difference between 8020b and 8020c, since I see a lot of updated models) and also a subwoofer (deciding between 5050a and 7050 and it's differences). Have you heard any of their subs. I'm hoping that the sub and speakers in a medium to small size room will be okay. Also, at night when I can't play the sub, the 8020 should work well).

I am thinking of feeding them through something like Emotiva Stealth DC-1 since it has XLRs. There were some people debating on getting an analog vs digital pre out depending on the model. For example, the newer ones with DSP accept both analog and/or digital based on the particular model. I'm looking at 8020 in particular, so hoping that the Emotiva would be a good fit.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #8,627 of 11,521
If you are near a Sam Ash store, they usually stock the 8020s in their pro studio rooms.  I did my auditioning at the Times Square main store.  I like the subs that matched with the 8050 back when, but decide against them as most of my music did not require a sub.

I use XLR inputs into my 8050.  Either from my Roland keyboards or Grace M903.

I think Sam Ash is American. It's not here in Canada. I checked up on local places to audition Genelecs, but nothing. I had a chat with a dealer here in Canada and got a fairly decent price for a pair of Genelec 8020 (I have the option of selecting between 8020b and 8020c - still haven't fully figured out the difference) as well as for the 7050b subwoofer.

I could have gone for the bigger 8030 or 8040b but then I wouldn't be able to get the sub right away. Also, the midrange and treble would have more body and need more space. With the smaller 8020, I'm hoping it will work well in a small room and not be heavy sounding at close distance while still getting good bass.

Some people did complain about the 8020 lacking in bass and overall sound, but found no complaints for the 8020 and 7050b sub combo. I'm only willing to give this brand a shot based on faith. Only brand so far that has the least polarizing reviews. Almost no complaints on brightness or under powered or over powered bass. Most discussions seem to be about room size and letting that dictate the model. So should be a consistent house sound throughout the models hopefully.

The only thing I'm going to be missing is a DAC with XLR outputs. I currently have a Marantz CD5004 player and a Fiio E10 DAC - which both have a single ended line out. Is there anything that could be done with these or even the 3.5 mm output of macbook pro or something similar? Like rca or 3.5mm to 3 pin XLR into the sub and then XLR to XLR from the sub to speakers?

This will just be for the time being until I pick up a balanced DAC.

Any other aspect I missed?

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #8,628 of 11,521
the 8020c is the latest.  it adds power management but all drivers are the same as the 8020b.
So, buy yourself a switch like this and power manage yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Belkin-Conserve-F7c016q-Packaging/dp/B009LD6XH6/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=billyccom-20

The 7050b was designed for the 8020 series.  At the shop, while auditioning with Dark Side of the Moon and Jazz at the Pawnshop, I noticed that there were no different between the combo of 8020+7050 vs the 8050 alone.  But, once I listened to Toccata n fugue, I actually found the 8050 alone to be better.

If you can find the 8020b cheaper elsewhere, that's probably the better way to go.

Quote:
  I think Sam Ash is American. It's not here in Canada. I checked up on local places to audition Genelecs, but nothing. I had a chat with a dealer here in Canada and got a fairly decent price for a pair of Genelec 8020 (I have the option of selecting between 8020b and 8020c - still haven't fully figured out the difference) as well as for the 7050b subwoofer.

I could have gone for the bigger 8030 or 8040b but then I wouldn't be able to get the sub right away. Also, the midrange and treble would have more body and need more space. With the smaller 8020, I'm hoping it will work well in a small room and not be heavy sounding at close distance while still getting good bass.

Some people did complain about the 8020 lacking in bass and overall sound, but found no complaints for the 8020 and 7050b sub combo. I'm only willing to give this brand a shot based on faith. Only brand so far that has the least polarizing reviews. Almost no complaints on brightness or under powered or over powered bass. Most discussions seem to be about room size and letting that dictate the model. So should be a consistent house sound throughout the models hopefully.

The only thing I'm going to be missing is a DAC with XLR outputs. I currently have a Marantz CD5004 player and a Fiio E10 DAC - which both have a single ended line out. Is there anything that could be done with these or even the 3.5 mm output of macbook pro or something similar? Like rca or 3.5mm to 3 pin XLR into the sub and then XLR to XLR from the sub to speakers?

This will just be for the time being until I pick up a balanced DAC.

Any other aspect I missed?

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #8,629 of 11,521
the 8020c is the latest.  it adds power management but all drivers are the same as the 8020b.
So, buy yourself a switch like this and power manage yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Belkin-Conserve-F7c016q-Packaging/dp/B009LD6XH6/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=billyccom-20

The 7050b was designed for the 8020 series.  At the shop, while auditioning with Dark Side of the Moon and Jazz at the Pawnshop, I noticed that there were no different between the combo of 8020+7050 vs the 8050 alone.  But, once I listened to Toccata n fugue, I actually found the 8050 alone to be better.

If you can find the 8020b cheaper elsewhere, that's probably the better way to go.

That Belkin thing is pretty cool. I can't find a 8020b but I do see a 8020a locally.

I would love to go for the 8050 however there are two things that are stopping that. First being the price and availability of finding a second hand. Also, what kind of environment/room size do you listen to with the 8050s? I doubt these would work on a desk in a small room. They would most probably be better suited for medium sized room with breathing space. Also, what prices do you see the 8050s typically going for?

Also, anything I can do with my unbalanced setup at the moment? I'm not sure if I'm correct but I do remember reading that they are not fully balanced.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #8,630 of 11,521
One room where i have the 8050 is 20x12 with 10 feet ceilings.  the 8050 reaches over 100db at 45% power.

Quote:

That Belkin thing is pretty cool. I can't find a 8020b but I do see a 8020a locally.

I would love to go for the 8050 however there are two things that are stopping that. First being the price and availability of finding a second hand. Also, what kind of environment/room size do you listen to with the 8050s? I doubt these would work on a desk in a small room. They would most probably be better suited for medium sized room with breathing space. Also, what prices do you see the 8050s typically going for?

Also, anything I can do with my unbalanced setup at the moment? I'm not sure if I'm correct but I do remember reading that they are not fully balanced.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #8,631 of 11,521
Maybe you should be back to LCD-3....Remember the name of the topic?
For off topic there are PMs

On topic: Man, listened to LCD-3s this weekend after a big 4 month pause I think (I'm a fresh father), and I thought that angels were singing to me, I LOVE LCD-3 that is for sure.
Never heard my favorite old rock tunes sound better than this....hoping for another listen this night if my son lets me
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #8,632 of 11,521
  Maybe you should be back to LCD-3....Remember the name of the topic?
For off topic there are PMs

On topic: Man, listened to LCD-3s this weekend after a big 4 month pause I think (I'm a fresh father), and I thought that angels were singing to me, I LOVE LCD-3 that is for sure.
Never heard my favorite old rock tunes sound better than this....hoping for another listen this night if my son lets me
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you are right. As a reward for boring you guys, I will later share how the LCD-3s compared to whatever I got.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #8,633 of 11,521
see next post

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #8,634 of 11,521
  Anyone running these LCD-2.2 or LCD-X off of a EXIMUS DP1 ? Please share your thoughts with me as I am very seriously considering selling my Mjolinr/Gungnir stack in its favor.

I have the LCD-X, the Eximus DP-1 and the Audio-GD Master 9. Whereas the Master 9 is a huge improvement over the Eximus when using my HD800, the Eximus comes quiet close to the Master when I hear with the LCD-X. The Master (which I like very much) has more control for sure. But I am quiet astonished how close the Eximus-headamp comes.

I sold my Violectric V200 because I found the headamp of the Eximus to be better once a while! So try with the DP1! This will be a really good match.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #8,635 of 11,521
I'm mystified by the reports of reticence in the higher frequencies of the LCD3 (at least my pair). They seem quite vibrant and basically totally balanced top to bottom (and have a wonderful deep bass).
I just listened last night for a few hours and thought they were totally musically engaging, with no part of the frequency spectrum standing out, great palbability, sweet and exciting and dynamic and fast all at once.

I guess I've been reading about this reticence in comparison to the the new LCD-XC (which I've never heard), but for me the 3 does it all.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #8,636 of 11,521
  I'm mystified by the reports of reticence in the higher frequencies of the LCD3 (at least my pair). They seem quite vibrant and basically totally balanced top to bottom (and have a wonderful deep bass).
I just listened last night for a few hours and thought they were totally musically engaging, with no part of the frequency spectrum standing out, great palbability, sweet and exciting and dynamic and fast all at once.

I guess I've been reading about this reticence in comparison to the the new LCD-XC (which I've never heard), but for me the 3 does it all.

There were also reports that earlier batches of LCD3 might be a bit darker and other owners reporting their LCD3 came back a tad less dark after repairs/maintenance by good folks at Audeze. FWIW I had a chance to compare a Mar 2012 vs a Jul 2013 LCD3s and do find the Jul 2013 one to have more vibrant treble.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #8,638 of 11,521
There were also reports that earlier batches of LCD3 might be a bit darker and other owners reporting their LCD3 came back a tad less dark after repairs/maintenance by good folks at Audeze. FWIW I had a chance to compare a Mar 2012 vs a Jul 2013 LCD3s and do find the Jul 2013 one to have more vibrant treble.

Not sure what they have changed, but i agree on this, the newest patch does sound less dark/less muffle than the old patch.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #8,639 of 11,521

Users who are viewing this thread

Back