New Audeze LCD3
Feb 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #8,611 of 11,521

I haven't heard any of the Polk although did get a chance to go through few KEF models and PSB. Unfortunately not the PSB Synchrony One. The dealer had the PSB Imagine T2 towers as well as Image and Alpha. I listened to the T2 towers for about 3 hours going back and forth with it and my LCD-3 driven off the same amp. There was a whole NAD stack. So the NAD M51, NAD M50, and some type of NAD power conditioner thing (I think? - it was at the bottom of the rack so didn't read the name). The amp used was the Luxman L-505ux ($4500 retail price here). Sweet amp. Best treble I've heard so far on the LCD-3 by a huge margin.

Although with the PSB towers, it was lacking in extension to me and didn't have the impact in the right place for most of my music. There certainly was bass, but it didn't have the rhythm that I quite wanted. Most of all, it's presentation of vocals and overall soundstage didn't quite do it for. Especially not for that price. The Q900 on the other hand immediately impressed me with the soundstage they threw. Even the Q500 couldn't do it. The PSB Imagine also don't have the 8" drivers that the Q900 has. Usually you hear about 8" drivers messing with the midrange, but I didn't hear that with the Q900. Now granted, the audition was a few minutes long, it was really fun to listen to. Also, the Q900 were run off of some Pioneer/Yamaha amp yet still sounded excellent.

I didn't bother with other PSB lower series towers that were there, but really wanted to audition the PSB bookshelfs which were present in the showroom but not attached to anything. Unfortunately, the dealer caught on that I wasn't going to buy something on that very day so he just kind of played me off saying he had some work to do (typical douchey salesman)

Disclaimer: I may not have fully enjoyed the PSB Imagine T2 because the sales guy kept going on and on about how virtually none of my 2 TB+ lossless music was mastered well and instead wanted to play his own recorded song and constantly talk about cables making a difference, comparing high end amplifiers to driving like a ferrari and about reviews online. This man was on Stereophile's **** nonstop. I really wanted to say something back but wanted to get in some more auditioning. Needless to say, not going back there ever again. He lost my business.

I'd seriously audition all of these myself before pulling the trigger. One thing I will say about the Q900 is that they will sound good with pretty much any music and also movies. The Q900 doesn't play favourites. The T2 is good for instrumental acoustic stuff and jazz. Although, vocals just didn't do it for me. They tried to sound revealing and musical but the keyword being "tried" - to my ears  and my preference it sounded like it was winging it.

Also, where can you get discounted prices for those brands you mentioned here in Canada? I might be interested in perhaps some PSB bookshelves if I can get them cheap for my desktop rig.

Oh this is great !, awesome information.

I usually buy stuff from Direct Buy, they carry PSB and Polk Audio, Kilpsch etc, Not sure if they carry KEF.
If you didn't hear about Direct Buy, be aware that the membership is $3600 CAD over 10 years, and starting on your 5th year you need to pay about $160 for yearly membership.

It works out great if you are buying appliances, furniture, or expensive flatware, etc, usually it's 40% to 50% from the retail price.

Unfortunately I cannot find any store in Toronto where I can audition headphones, speakers, amps etc.
I really wanted to buy LCD3 and LCD-X/XC but no where to audition so I had to give up on those. :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #8,612 of 11,521
Zoom25

I would denfiently advise you to look on some active speakers to, they are cheaper, easy to use 
and will kill any passive speaker on the market. 
I have listen to lots of different speakers and think you should look at these.

AVI ADM 9RS (built in dac) 
AVI DM5 (No dac)

YAMAHA HS8 (No dac)

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #8,613 of 11,521

Oh this is great !, awesome information.

I usually buy stuff from Direct Buy, they carry PSB and Polk Audio, Kilpsch etc, Not sure if they carry KEF.
If you didn't hear about Direct Buy, be aware that the membership is $3600 CAD over 10 years, and starting on your 5th year you need to pay about $160 for yearly membership.

It works out great if you are buying appliances, furniture, or expensive flatware, etc, usually it's 40% to 50% from the retail price.

Unfortunately I cannot find any store in Toronto where I can audition headphones, speakers, amps etc.
I really wanted to buy LCD3 and LCD-X/XC but no where to audition so I had to give up on those. :)

Damn that sounds awesome. I actually have never heard of that place before. I do know Costco though :D

So 40-50% on all those categories sounds quite appealing for the future. Although not going to down the road at this point, but thanks for letting me know. Hmmm just researched it very briefly, a lot of people seem pissed off at them.

Sadly Audeze isn't available anywhere in GTA. I asked Headfoneshop and they don't carry it because they quite haven't worked out a deal that' suitable to both parties. Same thing with Schiit. Although they managed to bring in Hifiman and Stax.

I have auditioned a few stuff at Trutone (Mississauga) and Locke Street Audio (Hamilton) (the ****** guy mentioned above in my post). There's also some stores like Bay Bloor Radio in downtown, but none that carry high end headphones, especially not Audeze.

Also when looking at brands site and looking at dealers nearby, most of the time, they will advertise carrying a brand or a series in that brand and end actually having one product out of the several. It's actually much less than what it looks like. Best to call in advance about what they are stocking.

Just a heads up to you or anyone here interested in picking up a huge LCD-3 package. I'll be posting the ad either tonight or tomorrow, but thought of giving you guys the first go at it.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #8,614 of 11,521
  Zoom25

I would denfiently advise you to look on some active speakers to, they are cheaper, easy to use 

AVI DM5 (No dac)

YAMAHA HS8 (No dac)

Yeah, definitely. Thanks for the suggestions. Just have to find a place for these here locally in Canada. If I can find something that sounds awesome, then I'll all up for it. Might throw in Genelec's as well in the mix as mentioned previously. Although not going to buy anything on faith this time for sure. If I can't hear them myself, I guess they get missed out on. If it doesn't work out, I'll still have the Q900 to fall back on.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #8,615 of 11,521
Wasn't saying they are bright. They're pretty balanced. They just have excess body on the r series. The resonance on the q900s rang through the mids like crazy. It was the first thing my buddy and I noticed. If you like more forward, detailed and intimate presentation of the lcd3 but want an even more refined sound then I suggest going to hear the monitor audio gold speakers. They're simply fantastic

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #8,616 of 11,521
  Damn that sounds awesome. I actually have never heard of that place before. I do know Costco though :D

So 40-50% on all those categories sounds quite appealing for the future. Although not going to down the road at this point, but thanks for letting me know. Hmmm just researched it very briefly, a lot of people seem pissed off at them.

Sadly Audeze isn't available anywhere in GTA. I asked Headfoneshop and they don't carry it because they quite haven't worked out a deal that' suitable to both parties. Same thing with Schiit. Although they managed to bring in Hifiman and Stax.

I have auditioned a few stuff at Trutone (Mississauga) and Locke Street Audio (Hamilton) (the ****** guy mentioned above in my post). There's also some stores like Bay Bloor Radio in downtown, but none that carry high end headphones, especially not Audeze.

Also when looking at brands site and looking at dealers nearby, most of the time, they will advertise carrying a brand or a series in that brand and end actually having one product out of the several. It's actually much less than what it looks like. Best to call in advance about what they are stocking.

Just a heads up to you or anyone here interested in picking up a huge LCD-3 package. I'll be posting the ad either tonight or tomorrow, but thought of giving you guys the first go at it.

Ya I heard good and bad about Direct Buy, I am not going to renew another 10 year membership because I have pretty much everything.
As for your LCD3, I hope you will find the buyer, I had Audeze and they are heavy, not comfortable and too dark in my taste.

I prefer neutral headphones or a good tower speakers :wink:.  LCDX, ... eh.. ? I will pass for now, still too heavy and hated angle pads.

Only planar that I will buy is HE6 or HE560, I think it's superior with speaker amps.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #8,617 of 11,521
  Zoom25

AVI DM5 (No dac)

YAMAHA HS8 (No dac)

I will definitely check it out, thanks for the suggestion :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #8,618 of 11,521

Ya I heard good and bad about Direct Buy, I am not going to renew another 10 year membership because I have pretty much everything.
As for your LCD3, I hope you will find the buyer, I had Audeze and they are heavy, not comfortable and too dark in my taste.

I prefer neutral headphones or a good tower speakers :wink:.  LCDX, ... eh.. ? I will pass for now, still too heavy and hated angle pads.

Only planar that I will buy is HE6 or HE560, I think it's superior with speaker amps.

Yeah the HE560 looks promising. I am actually quite interested in the TH-900 now. Contemplating on that. I love my D2000 so the Fostex should be excellent. As much as I'm interested in the HE-560, I don't think I'll go for it right away despite how well it sounds. The weight and comfort would have to be over the top for me to consider it. HE-6 only when I have a really high end speaker amp and have random cash floating for a second headphone. 1 closed and 1 open sounds about right.

Offers already coming in, haven't even posted the ad yet :D 

Last time I posted huge package deals for HE-500 and LCD-2 at nighttime and by next evening they were both gone. Hopefully can get it done through people browsing here. Trying my best to avoid mass emails.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #8,619 of 11,521

I will definitely check it out, thanks for the suggestion :)

No place in Canada to audition unfortunately :frowning2: With sub, it will run you over $3000. The bookshelves by themselves won't be able to deliver the bass based on the short amount of reading done so far on them

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #8,620 of 11,521
Wasn't saying they are bright. They're pretty balanced. They just have excess body on the r series. The resonance on the q900s rang through the mids like crazy. It was the first thing my buddy and I noticed. If you like more forward, detailed and intimate presentation of the lcd3 but want an even more refined sound then I suggest going to hear the monitor audio gold speakers. They're simply fantastic

Okay, gotcha. Someone else told me that too. For some reason it never showed up during my audition. Hmmm. Not pulling the trigger yet on anything, so more time to hunt.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #8,621 of 11,521

Yeah the HE560 looks promising. I am actually quite interested in the TH-900 now. Contemplating on that. I love my D2000 so the Fostex should be excellent. As much as I'm interested in the HE-560, I don't think I'll go for it right away despite how well it sounds. The weight and comfort would have to be over the top for me to consider it. HE-6 only when I have a really high end speaker amp and have random cash floating for a second headphone. 1 closed and 1 open sounds about right.

Offers already coming in, haven't even posted the ad yet :D 

Last time I posted huge package deals for HE-500 and LCD-2 at nighttime and by next evening they were both gone. Hopefully can get it done through people browsing here. Trying my best to avoid mass emails.

Ya, I don't think you will have problem selling LCD3, I would get it if I am not going to buy the new HE series. :)
My LCD2 was also gone, just D7000 on sell but I refused few offers.  There isn't much difference between D7000 vs TH900, haven't tried the balanced but my D7000 is still really good, I might keep it :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #8,622 of 11,521

Ya, I don't think you will have problem selling LCD3, I would get it if I am not going to buy the new HE series. :)
My LCD2 was also gone, just D7000 on sell but I refused few offers.  There isn't much difference between D7000 vs TH900, haven't tried the balanced but my D7000 is still really good, I might keep it :)

The ad's up officially :)

I love the Denon series a lot. Plays so well with electronic. Also, best headphone for movies IMO with the sub bass.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #8,623 of 11,521
agreed with most you said.
Do try listening to some active speakers from Genelec if you like EDM.  For one thing, these speakers are easy to placed anywhere and everywhere with amps inside.
I have a pair of the 8050 at my studio and 2 pairs at home.  When I want fullness that the LCD-3, TH900, HD800 or even the Stax can't deliver, I either listen to Harbeth or these Genelecs.

I've actually been really strongly considering Genelecs. I am at least 80% certain that I am going to get a Genelec. After much thinking, I'm going to go with a powered studio monitor. Still not sure which model I'm going with and if I'm getting a sub or not at the moment. It's going to be one from the 8000 series. There's also the M series that's out now. I don't want to go more pricey than something like 8040. I was thinking of getting powered speakers and maybe getting KEF to match my Marantz, but I'd rather have powered that will work everywhere.

I was also considering the Focals Twin as I could get a good deal, but dropped the idea on it as quite a few people found it bright or really up in your face. I'd rather go for something neutral in their FR and presentation, which the Genelec seem to be (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do you have any other experience with Genelec beside 8050? Thanks.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #8,624 of 11,521
I listened to the 8020 as well and it is as good as my PSB Imagine minis together with my Cary tube amp.
You will not feel the low end like the 8050, but it is so much smaller.  The imaging is nearly identical.  Properly placed, they disappear.

Quote:

I've actually been really strongly considering Genelecs. I am at least 80% certain that I am going to get a Genelec. After much thinking, I'm going to go with a powered studio monitor. Still not sure which model I'm going with and if I'm getting a sub or not at the moment. It's going to be one from the 8000 series. There's also the M series that's out now. I don't want to go more pricey than something like 8040. I was thinking of getting powered speakers and maybe getting KEF to match my Marantz, but I'd rather have powered that will work everywhere.

I was also considering the Focals Twin as I could get a good deal, but dropped the idea on it as quite a few people found it bright or really up in your face. I'd rather go for something neutral in their FR and presentation, which the Genelec seem to be (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do you have any other experience with Genelec beside 8050? Thanks.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #8,625 of 11,521
I listened to the 8020 as well and it is as good as my PSB Imagine minis together with my Cary tube amp.
You will not feel the low end like the 8050, but it is so much smaller.  The imaging is nearly identical.  Properly placed, they disappear.

I'm really leaning towards getting 8020b (BTW any difference between 8020b and 8020c, since I see a lot of updated models) and also a subwoofer (deciding between 5050a and 7050 and it's differences). Have you heard any of their subs. I'm hoping that the sub and speakers in a medium to small size room will be okay. Also, at night when I can't play the sub, the 8020 should work well).

I am thinking of feeding them through something like Emotiva Stealth DC-1 since it has XLRs. There were some people debating on getting an analog vs digital pre out depending on the model. For example, the newer ones with DSP accept both analog and/or digital based on the particular model. I'm looking at 8020 in particular, so hoping that the Emotiva would be a good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back