New Audeze LCD3
Jul 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #6,301 of 11,521
I am fully aware - I don't think it is as bad as the iPod, but proper amps do improve them a lot. I am just doing this for the sake of a simple off-the-hand comparison since it came up on this thread, therefore I have not utilized my Leben CS300XS or the Cavalli Liquid Fire in this comparison session.
Quote:

I have personal (fairly lengthy) listening experience with both the Zodiac+ and Gold headouts (with LCD-2/LCD-3), imo you absolutely need to have an external amp to make the LCD-2 and LCD-3 realize potential.  They just aren't the same straight out of the Z headouts.  I sort of equate it to listening to the LCD-2/LCD-3 out of an ipod without amplification. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #6,302 of 11,521
Quote:
I have personal (fairly lengthy) listening experience with both the Zodiac+ and Gold headouts (with LCD-2/LCD-3), imo you absolutely need to have an external amp to make the LCD-2 and LCD-3 realize potential.  They just aren't the same straight out of the Z headouts.  I sort of equate it to listening to the LCD-2/LCD-3 out of an ipod without amplification. 

+1, same w/ my Silver.

Quote:
I am fully aware - I don't think it is as bad as the iPod, but proper amps do improve them a lot. I am just doing this for the sake of a simple off-the-hand comparison since it came up on this thread, therefore I have not utilized my Leben CS300XS or the Cavalli Liquid Fire in this comparison session.

This reminds me, I need to get around to doing a comparison between my LCD-3 padded Rev.2 and an LCD-3.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #6,303 of 11,521
Jul 29, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #6,305 of 11,521
While both of these comparisons between the 2.1 and 3 are fine and appreciated, they're a bit moot. I'm guessing his choice is between the 2.2 and 3.

In my experience the 2.2 is much more detailed than the 2.1. I'm not at all surprised that the 2.1 sounds 'muddled' in comparison to the 3.

On the other hand, the 2.2 is much closer to the 3 in terms of detail levels. On some amplifiers it seems the more detailed of the two because of its comparatively elevated upper mids.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #6,308 of 11,521
Quote:
Law of diminishing returns applies, a 100% increase in cost leading to a 20% increase in SQ, especially for summit-fi, is not shabby at all.

I thought the 10-rule applied in high end hi-fi and camera lenses.

10x the money 10% increase in quality

rolleyes.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #6,311 of 11,521
I'm copying my post from the LCD-2-thread since the LCD-3 is the next big upcoming investment (after maybe an ALO Audio Continental v2)...

Has anyone tried the LCD-3 w/ ALO Audio The Continental v2?

Just wondering what to expect. Since I have a destop rig that drives them (read: LCD-2) very well, don't wanna get too "disappointed". Already did it once with a Burson Audio HA-160D, which I sold of a few days later due to hype vs. sound quality/price.

Tx,

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #6,312 of 11,521
Quote:
I'm copying my post from the LCD-2-thread since the LCD-3 is the next big upcoming investment (after maybe an ALO Audio Continental v2)...

Has anyone tried the LCD-3 w/ ALO Audio The Continental v2?

Just wondering what to expect. Since I have a destop rig that drives them (read: LCD-2) very well, don't wanna get too "disappointed". Already did it once with a Burson Audio HA-160D, which I sold of a few days later due to hype vs. sound quality/price.

Tx,

I just used my LCD3 last night with the Continental. (V1, but it should be no different if V2 is set on high gain).

it sounds great. a little less bass slam than the burson soloist (and ALO Amphora) but that's not obvious on every song. it sounds really, really good. I listened to around 4 or 5 hours on it yesterday and just forgot what amp I was using. comparing against another portable, It certainly has more power than the pico amp - and that little amp has decent power for is size.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6,313 of 11,521
Quote:

I just used my LCD3 last night with the Continental. (V1, but it should be no different if V2 is set on high gain).

it sounds great. a little less bass slam than the burson soloist (and ALO Amphora) but that's not obvious on every song. it sounds really, really good. I listened to around 4 or 5 hours on it yesterday and just forgot what amp I was using. comparing against another portable, It certainly has more power than the pico amp - and that little amp has decent power for is size.

Aside from the "frequency" of sound. (It's great to know that it has a good frequency response with the LCD's.)

How would you compare soundstage, "accuracy/speed" etc?

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #6,314 of 11,521
I could not notice any difference in soundstage or speed between the amps with the LCD3. maybe someone else could but I could not.

Whenever i put on some of my "big soundstage" tracks, they both placed instruments at the same virtual distances from my head. Tiny, subtle details in tracks or rapid fire, complex passages both sounded the same to me and I never noticed "missing" or blurred information.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #6,315 of 11,521

Quote:

I was wondering why Tyll left them off list originally--I was thinking that the LCD-3 had missed its only chance to get on his Wall of Fame due to the QC/driver issues.  It's good that he was eventually able to hear the LCD-3 the way it was meant to sound, and his measurements showing the bump in the 1kHz-3kHz range seem to confirm what we've been hearing with the revised units.

But on a buzzkill note, I came back from vacation a few weeks ago and discovered that one of my LCD-3's drivers had cut out entirely.  The next day, the other driver also seemed to have died.  These were a pair that I had RMA'd back in March to get the dampening/earpad revision.  Audeze immediately offered to check them out, so I'm not too concerned...but because I'm currently living overseas, the whole process will take over a month.  

Also had to RMA my ALO Rx MK3, Pico Slim, and Cardas USB cable.  All my stuff is failing.  Thank god my Edition 8, RS220 and CLAS are still going strong...for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back