New Audeze LCD3
Apr 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #4,951 of 11,521
Listening to my LCD-3s, back from RMA-land. They sound more clear and revealing than before. Detail is more immediate. That's essentially the biggest discernible difference to my ears, and I don't detect any particular shift in the overall sound signature. Tonally these are the same LCD-3s that I sent off, and that's fine by me, as I liked their overall balance. I was worried the treble would be more emphasized, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Haaa... I had planned to type up something long-winded, but honestly my auditory memory is failing me a bit. I honestly can't go into much more detail about any changes that have taken place. Then again, I was one of those on the fence, and I'm not even sure mine were veiled from the start. At least I have piece of mind now (and an extra set of earpads!).

MuppetFace, I'd be interested to hear how the lcd3 you got back sounds compares to your 009 rig after things settle down a bit. In particular if you're reaching for one more than another and why.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #4,952 of 11,521
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #4,954 of 11,521
Quote:
Which shop lah

Oo Singaporean also? Stereo @ ION Orchard. 

No Singorean wife..

Wow have been to Ion a few times and never noticed that shop. Am going to Singapore next week so will catch MRT down town and audition LCD3s and DS. Need to bring $ too

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4,955 of 11,521
Ordered my LCD-3s on April 3, they were at my door April 5, and according to the response plot were tested on the morning of April 2. There's nothing like fresh product. And so far they sound superb.

BTW, I called Audeze on the phone, since I have found their response to emails sporadic at best.

Now, whether or not to sell my LCD-2s...

Or, after following this thread, do I wait a week and send my 3s back to Audeze for "RMA" in the hopes of getting something even better?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #4,957 of 11,521
Just to follow up on some previous impressions I had of the "new" LCD3, and to answer some questions a while ago in regards to directly comparing the LCD3 to STAX: The 007 and 009 still destroy the LCD3. This is assuming one has taken the time to set up their rigs (with careful selection of amp, transport/source, digital interfaces, DAC, recording, etc.) And this is of course, just my opinion (it feels dumb to have to make such disclaimers repeatedly, but I will continue to do so.) It's worth nothing that the LCD3's amplification requirements can be somewhat met with a modestly priced head-amp, while this cannot be said for the 007 or 009. But I don't think price is an issue at this point in the game.

I can see that some people will still prefer the more tactile bass response of the LCD3. If quality strong bass is an overarching priority, then there is really no need to look elsewhere. But for me, it's the entirety of the spectrum that matters, especially the overtones which give individual instruments and voices their unique qualities. The 009 and to a lesser extent the 007 still rule over the LCD3 in terms of smoothness and cohesiveness of presentation, particularly from the harmonic (upper midrange) to treble regions.

In terms of speed, transient response, clarity, and blackness of background, again the 007 and 009 stomp all over the LCD3; although it should be noted that the LCD3 remains one of the best among dynamic (orthos are still dynamics) drivers in these qualities. The superior technical capabilities (other than the bass) of the STAX translate into more a more immediate and real listening experience. Spooky is a good word. Involving is another. The superiority of the 007 and 009 does diminish somewhat with rock or popular material, but it's still very evident. Where the STAX do truly shine is with human voices and naturally recorded acoustic instruments.

These conclusions were arrived at via direct comparison using the following equipment: Marantz Transport/PWDmk2, Amarra4, Accuphase CDP model?, BHSE, Aristaeus, KGSSHV, DIY T2, 007mk1, 009, LCD3x2. YMMV. I may have not have necessarily arrived at the same conclusions if different equipment were used. And source (and recording) does matter. Did I say source does matter? I'll say it again: source matters, especially at this level. And no, the 009 is not bass-lite nor thin sounding. In fact, it can sound rather lush and similar to the HE90.

I hope this answers (to those who pm'd me) why I sold off my LCD3.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #4,958 of 11,521
Just got my RMA'ed LCD3 back from Audeze.  They sent it back to me one day after they received it.  It no longer sounds "numb" or "veiled."  Don't know what they did but it's a whole lot better than before.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #4,959 of 11,521

Quote:
That looks pretty good, I especially like the little slats but I think the Rosewood looked more elegant overall.  Is it any lighter?  Anyone know?

I find the Rosewood and Black band, brace & grill to be the most elegant and striking as well!

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #4,960 of 11,521
Put the black angled connectors on the Zebra wood of the LCD3, and you have an aesthetics winner in my book.
Chrome is just kinda, meh, tacky looking in my opinion.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #4,961 of 11,521
Well i took the plunge and got rid of my LCD2 R1, which i liked quite a bit. I knew i was taking a gamble with the LCD3s, but i felt lucky.

So received them this morning, the graph says 22/2/12 so they're more than a month old. Should be good i thought to myself.

First time on the head and i get this awful feeling: its as if i took 5 steps back from the music, I'm no longer in it, I'm far away and looking at it. Sounded thin and dead. "This is what veiled must describe" i thought.

But sometimes the mind plays tricks on you, and i was so afraid of getting a veil unit, that i suspected my brain was deceiving me. So i put them down and came back 30mins later, leaving the equipment on.

Much better, i can feel the music alive again. Its still a step back from what I've been used to, the LCD2 i had were in your face, this is more front to second row.

They are very very comfortable, and the dreading ringing is gone, which is a relief. Also, much less dark: theres a crystal like quality to the music i had forgotten with the LCD2s :)

Im going to give it a few more days to see if this is the natural process of getting used to a new pair of phones, or if there is a slight veil there. But i don't think so, because even though I'm further back from the music, i still feel i have a crisp definition of instruments and voices, even better than the LCD2.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #4,962 of 11,521

Quote:
Just to follow up on some previous impressions I had of the "new" LCD3, and to answer some questions a while ago in regards to directly comparing the LCD3 to STAX: The 007 and 009 still destroy the LCD3. This is assuming one has taken the time to set up their rigs (with careful selection of amp, transport/source, digital interfaces, DAC, recording, etc.) And this is of course, just my opinion (it feels dumb to have to make such disclaimers repeatedly, but I will continue to do so.) It's worth nothing that the LCD3's amplification requirements can be somewhat met with a modestly priced head-amp, while this cannot be said for the 007 or 009. But I don't think price is an issue at this point in the game.

I can see that some people will still prefer the more tactile bass response of the LCD3. quality strong bass is an overarching priority, then there is really no need to look elsewhere. But for me, it's the entirety of the spectrum that matters, especially the overtones which give individual instruments and voices their unique qualities. The 009 and to a lesser extent the 007 still rule over the LCD3 in terms of smoothness and cohesiveness of presentation, particularly from the harmonic (upper midrange) to treble regions.

In terms of speed, transient response, clarity, and blackness of background, again the 007 and 009 stomp all over the LCD3, although it should be noted that the LCD3 is one of the best among dynamic (orthos are still dynamics) drivers in these qualities. The superior technical capabilities (other than the bass) of the STAX translate into more a more immediate and real listening experience. Spooky is a good word. Involving is another. The superiority of the 007 and 009 does diminish somewhat with rock or popular material, but it's still evident. The STAX do truly shine with human voices and naturally recorded acoustic instruments.

These conclusions were arrived at via direct comparison using the following equipment: Marantz Transport/PWDmk2, Amarra4, Accuphase CDP model?, BHSE, Aristaeus, KGSSHV, DIY T2, 007mk1, 009, LCD3x2. YMMV. I may have not have necessarily arrived at the same conclusions if different equipment were used. And source (and recording) does matter. Did I say source does matter? I'll say it again: source matters, especially at this level. And no, the 009 is not bass-lite nor thin sounding. In fact, it can sound rather lush and similar to the HE90.

I hope this answers (to those who pm'd me) why I sold off my LCD3.

Exactly the same reasons why I didn't care at all for the LCD-3. Yes, it is the best headphone there is apart from the 007 and 009. 

I can't really justify the 009 price as the 007 are nearly up there with it..just a little warmer compared to the 009. And agreed...the 009 is no where near bass lite. 

Further, the note on 007 with rock or "popular material"..i feel the superiority only shines through more evidently for me when compared to the LCD3 due to the fully open, transparent and dynamic nature of the stax drivers.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4,963 of 11,521
When it comes down to it, the SR-007 and SR-009 are still my preferred choice when it comes to offering a clear window through which to experience music. I also prefer the TakeT H2+ to the LCD-3, and in terms of overall performance I'd rank it as more or less comparable to the SR-007. In terms of the way it presents bass however the TakeT H2+ comes out ahead of just about any other headphone for me personally. I also prefer the unique, almost tactile quality with which its esoteric drivers imbue music.

The LCD-3 is still a strong performer however, one that is by no means out of place in the upper echelons of head-fi. It has the benefit of convenience for me, requiring less in the way of specialized equipment to accompany it, and ergonomically it definitely wins out over the H2+. The SR-007 and SR-009 are still the most comfortable for me though.

All four are top contenders in sound quality IMHO.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,965 of 11,521
     Quote:
Well i took the plunge and got rid of my LCD2 R1, which i liked quite a bit. I knew i was taking a gamble with the LCD3s, but i felt lucky.

So received them this morning, the graph says 22/2/12 so they're more than a month old. Should be good i thought to myself.

First time on the head and i get this awful feeling: its as if i took 5 steps back from the music, I'm no longer in it, I'm far away and looking at it. Sounded thin and dead. "This is what veiled must describe" i thought.

But sometimes the mind plays tricks on you, and i was so afraid of getting a veil unit, that i suspected my brain was deceiving me. So i put them down and came back 30mins later, leaving the equipment on.

Much better, i can feel the music alive again. Its still a step back from what I've been used to, the LCD2 i had were in your face, this is more front to second row.

They are very very comfortable, and the dreading ringing is gone, which is a relief. Also, much less dark: theres a crystal like quality to the music i had forgotten with the LCD2s :)

Im going to give it a few more days to see if this is the natural process of getting used to a new pair of phones, or if there is a slight veil there. But i don't think so, because even though I'm further back from the music, i still feel i have a crisp definition of instruments and voices, even better than the LCD2.

Look in the outer grills...is there felt or foam?  If it's felt, you got a set that hasn't been "fixed", if foam, they are the updated version.
-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back