New Audeze LCD3
Oct 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #257 of 11,521

Quote:
I have to disagree. Tonality is probably one of the weaker aspects of the HD800 at least when compared to the Stax 007 MK1 and Audez'e LCD2. 

You can say they are bright and that your preference is toward a darker balance. The LCD2 is really bad in terms of linearity and smoothness of FR.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #258 of 11,521

I partially disagree... Orpheus was sold to 300 units. Sony R10 was discontinued because of lack of sales... How many LCD3/SR-009 will sell only in 2012. I think we simply all brought this on ourselves and many company have seen this opportunity. It certainly is an era of gold for headphone manufacturers (don't be fooled, not for consumers) and little or almost no questions asked by so many potential buyers (in contrast with what used to be only a few) who are willing to pay great deal of money for their headphones. Sometimes I feel the price tag is becoming more and more important in the enjoyment of a headphone, and making us lose a certain perspective of reality. I do however agree with the lack of reasonnably priced and good quality headphones. How much sold the Grado HP2 or Senn HD250 Linear some years ago just to name a few. But hey, I am just one voice.

Quote:
Ok, I don't like it anymore than you do, but it's nothing new, headphones have sold for this much for decades especially if you take inflation into account.  How much did the orpheus sell for when it was released way back when?  And today the 009 is 5k.  As long as there is demand for good headphones, there will be headphones at this price point.  It's just the way it is.  I think what makes it difficult is the lack of decent low priced headphones. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #259 of 11,521
These more expensive headphones do sound better in transient attack than mid-tier cans.  Its been pretty universal IME.  The higher priced headphones had transient attacks that matched their price competitors.  The only can that did not fall in line was the Fostex T50RP.

Its a free market, the people are the judges.  The D7000 had impeccable attacks and debuted at 1k.  People didn't like the tonality and the street price fell to 600.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #260 of 11,521

Quote:
These more expensive headphones do sound better in transient attack than mid-tier cans.  Its been pretty universal IME.  The higher priced headphones had transient attacks that matched their price competitors.  The only can that did not fall in line was the Fostex T50RP.

Its a free market, the people are the judges.

This is the way it should be. But it is not so. The ability to shut down the old thread is an example of just that. Every headphone you make (the mans.) is specifically set and tailored to your price bracket purposely nowadays. The market is artificial. Entirely created by the manufacturer. This is why every headphone you want that's worth having is $800 + + + +.

This market is supposed to be like any other market. One you are all familiar with for example. Take CPU's Every new generation offers quantifiably higher performance, yet the price goes down. This is the way every market progresses, around the world. And this keeps the stability of the market in place.

With headphones this is not so- and it once was! The consumer is supposed to win, not the manufacturer. Like cpu's and nearly every other market, the profit margins are supposed to go down or slightly up. Not bounce from %200 to %1400. YOU are paying that 1200%! Needlessly. And it sucks!

So, fix it.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #261 of 11,521

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

It certainly gets me excited when they say things like:

I wonder if that includes headphones that some call, "earspeakers".
tongue.gif
I can't wait to try them.

This is marketing malarkey to be honest. Every single flagship from every single company makes the exact same claim. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we looked at Audeze's press release for the LCD2 a few years back and it had the exact same thing.

Anyway, do have someone get a pair and post impressions. I'd like to hear about it at least, but I am probably never going to buy one. LCD2 is enough and I had enough headaches with Audeze on the LCD2 that I will never buy another Audeze product again.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #262 of 11,521
Well, now exactly what i didn't want to happen has happened. I asked that people don't get into the whys about what people do and talk about the headphones, and now the thread is completely derailed into nonsense.

Edit:

I've removed the off-topic nonsense.

First: Please stay on topic.
Second: If you wish to discuss any moderation, PM me (or the relevant moderator). Do not post about it here (or on the forums anywhere for that matter) or reply to this post.
Third: Ditch the flamebait. That means no more "placebo", "Monster Beats", "fanboys", etc.
Fourth: If you don't have something sensible and on topic to reply, consider not replying (moderate yourselves). If you want to discuss a diversion, start your own thread about it.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #263 of 11,521
I spent some time listening to the LCD-3 at CanJam yesterday. Sorry for the delay in posting but I was having too much fun to be on line. The real world is far more entertaining.

That said, I was impressed by what I heard from the LCD-3. While show conditions are not the best, especially for open headphones, it was very obvious to me that the LCD-3 have a level of nuance and transparency that is very, very high, and has the potential to be a significant step up. I say potential because I will not know this for sure until I get a pair in my house for review, which I will be doing soon - Audeze has agreed to get me a review pair very soon.

More later.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #265 of 11,521

Quote:
Thanks Rob, if the LCD-3 is 25% better than the LCD-2, I will most likely get one.

Whose 25 percent? I do also look forward to further impressions and knowing what the system upstream from them is. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #267 of 11,521
Unless someone figures out some new tricks, an ortho will not have the soundstage of an electrodynamic like the HD800 because the ortho drivers are completely sealed to the baffle by necessity and the way the HD800 gets it's huge soundstage is by having a completely open baffle.  So if soundstage is your priority you should look elsewhere for now. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #268 of 11,521

Well said. It is known as "marketing ploy" now teased we seem not able to turn off the facet constantly wanting more and guess what all tweaks for a price! Nothing has changed.

Enjoy music!
Quote:
I partially disagree... Orpheus was sold to 300 units. Sony R10 was discontinued because of lack of sales... How many LCD3/SR-009 will sell only in 2012. I think we simply all brought this on ourselves and many company have seen this opportunity. It certainly is an era of gold for headphone manufacturers (don't be fooled, not for consumers) and little or almost no questions asked by so many potential buyers (in contrast with what used to be only a few) who are willing to pay great deal of money for their headphones. Sometimes I feel the price tag is becoming more and more important in the enjoyment of a headphone, and making us lose a certain perspective of reality. I do however agree with the lack of reasonnably priced and good quality headphones. How much sold the Grado HP2 or Senn HD250 Linear some years ago just to name a few. But hey, I am just one voice. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #269 of 11,521

Quote:
Unless someone figures out some new tricks, an ortho will not have the soundstage of an electrodynamic like the HD800 because the ortho drivers are completely sealed to the baffle by necessity and the way the HD800 gets it's huge soundstage is by having a completely open baffle.  So if soundstage is your priority you should look elsewhere for now. 

Even if that has been your experience and it may be considered a limitation of the technology, how can you make this statement without having heard the 3's? I let my ears be my guide, and sometimes, it can be a surprise, both good and bad. :^)

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #270 of 11,521
You can't expect it to have HD800 type soundstage because it hasn't changed the reason it has the soundstage it has.  There's surely some wiggle room because of the lighter diaphragm which may also be a different shape/size and more speed/transparency and better imaging will give a more spacious sound, but the pads are the same, and it's still sealed to the baffle because orthos need to be.  I'd love to eat my words though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back