New Audeze LCD3
Dec 15, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #2,536 of 11,521

Quote:
The Liquid Fire -> LCD3 combo sounded worst at around 100 hours for the Liquid Fire and around 75-125 hours for the LCD3. The vocal became tinny, veiled, distant and lifeless. In Hong Kong forums there is a term used for this period - "衰聲期".  

With the Liquid close to 150 hours now, the ALO Reference 16 cable at 75 hours and the LCD3 closing 200 hours, things are totally different. Everyone is just close to perfect except in terms of smoothness and details which the LCD3 still can't match the 009. I still need time for the Telefunken tubes and power cables and will report back once I think the whole system is settled.

Are you saying the LCD-3 needs extensive burn in?   I am finding the LCD-3 character changing after 6  days of use.  

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #2,537 of 11,521
Yes I find it different over time. I didn't experience that with my Rev 1, and the significance of the change did not kick in until after 100 hours.  But then I have too many new stuff in my new office rig I am not sure whether it is solely the LCD3's.

How do you find it against your Rev 2 so far?

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #2,538 of 11,521
Haven't followed this thread for a long time. Wow .WarriorAnt got a LCD 3? I thought you said LCD 2 rev.2 was your last Auzede product :p

Enjoying them?

Quote:
Are you saying the LCD-3 needs extensive burn in?   I am finding the LCD-3 character changing after 6  days of use.  

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #2,539 of 11,521
Ditto. Love the X100, quirks included
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I own two items in the list - the LCD3 and the Fujifilm X100. I doubt if the Phonaks can be compared with my customs though. By the way, Bose is in the list...

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,543 of 11,521
Haha, be careful what you wish for 
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #2,544 of 11,521
I decided to take the plunge, and ordered a pair of the LCD-3s from a retailer I could return them to if need be. Anyway: they're here now. Still formulating impressions, but so far, I'd say they're mostly positive.

One weird thing occurred however: I had the LCD-3 plugged into the SPL Phonitor, listened to some music, and then turned the volume all the way down before turning the amp off. LCD-3s still plugged in, and when the amp powered down, a weird sine-wave like zinggy sound rang out through the headphones. I've never experienced this before! I was worried, so I immediately tried another amp, and thankfully the LCD-3s seem to be fine. The Phonitor seems fine.

....What the heck happened there? : \

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2,545 of 11,521

Quote:
To paraphrase the Placebo song...

A friend in need's a friend indeed
A friend with LCD-3's is better
A friend with breasts and all the rest
A friend who's dressed in leather

biggrin.gif

se

So I should be looking for a needy woman dressed in leather with LCD-3's?  I think I've seen a website for that....well, I didn't see any headphones come to think of it. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #2,546 of 11,521
Quote:

One weird thing occurred however: I had the LCD-3 plugged into the SPL Phonitor, listened to some music, and then turned the volume all the way down before turning the amp off. LCD-3s still plugged in, and when the amp powered down, a weird sine-wave like zinggy sound rang out through the headphones. I've never experienced this before! I was worried, so I immediately tried another amp, and thankfully the LCD-3s seem to be fine. The Phonitor seems fine.

....What the heck happened there? : \

that's the phonitor, alright.
when i had mine, it did that.
i think the instruction manual even asks that you unplug headphones before powering off.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #2,547 of 11,521

In the brief time I've spent with the LCD-3, I must say, I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Its sonic characteristics are pretty similar to the LCD-2 rev. 1 to my ears, but overall there's definitely noticeable improvement across the board. The ridiculously plush earpads and ribbon-style stock cables are definitely an improvement as well. Even with the leather handband, it still doesn't feel quite right on my head though.

Quote:
that's the phonitor, alright.
when i had mine, it did that.
i think the instruction manual even asks that you unplug headphones before powering off.

Bah, figures the one time I don't unplug my headphones before powering down the amp, it would be with an amp that does something like that. Scared the living daylights out of me.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2,550 of 11,521

Quote:

In the brief time I've spent with the LCD-3, I must say, I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Its sonic characteristics are pretty similar to the LCD-2 rev. 1 to my ears, but overall there's definitely noticeable improvement across the board. The ridiculously plush earpads and ribbon-style stock cables are definitely an improvement as well. Even with the leather handband, it still doesn't feel quite right on my head though.

Bah, figures the one time I don't unplug my headphones before powering down the amp, it would be with an amp that does something like that. Scared the living daylights out of me.

LF is not the only solution, try some better SS amp (than the spl), you might be surprised. To my experience, the LCD3 really sounds great with SS.

By the way, if one finds that the LCD3s need louder volume to shine, that might mean the system is not a good match or not good enough for the LCD3, IMO. The LCD3 is fantastic in low volume listening when driving sufficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back