New Audeze LCD3
Dec 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2,176 of 11,521

Quote:
It doesn't even matter what is "natural", "bright", "dark", "detailed" at all. If you listen to it for a while with your favourite music and like how it sounds, after comparison with a number of other high end headphones, just settle with it. Ignore all graphs, measurement and other subjective BS on Head-fi, including this post. These terms are all just relative and serve no real purpose apart from stirring up flame wars in the symantics of discussions. It just happens to me that the two I like are SR009 and LCD3, so if the Beats do that for you, feel free.

Now that is one of the most sensible things I've ever seen you post here. 

beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,178 of 11,521

Quote:
Can you expand on that a bit more?  Most of the shows are bad - What do you mean by that?  ...weird stuff at them?  You're sure manufacturers brighten stuff up?  Are you suggesting that they are altering the gear they bring to the show to make it sound "brighter", or some other ?  Known speaker companies produce good stuff year after year.....  What is a "known" speaker company?  Don't get me wrong, I think I see eye to eye on some of what you are saying, but it is entirely vague in the way you've put it here.  

"Convergence to a better sounding design" implies that there is some objective way to define what "better" is.  "Better" is an entirely human concept and is completely dependent upon a perspective as well a subjective judgement at some stage as to what exactly defines, well, "betterness".  Who's going to determine what "better" is?  

Speaker setup / placements accounts for 50% of how they sound. Some speakers have tweeter or more adjustments. Too many people and too much "audiophile" music at shows. Wierd stuff: magikal ~6" 2-way speakers selling for $4000 or $8000?, things that look like they are from Space 1999 or Doctor Who, etc. that sound like crap. I've always liked a lot of the Thiels and Vandersteens. Haven't visited a Hi-Fi shop in years, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass and their speakers sound super bassy bright now because of the home theatre craze? Other than price-busting exotic new materials and crazy internal reinforcements, speaker technology hasn't made any giant leaps. I still love some of the old JBL horn and dynamic driver stuff. Just that most of it is too big to fit inside a living room. Built a JBL horn + 15" woofers and put in my garage a few years back. Not exactly "Hi-Fi" but more dynamics than most of current garbage passed as "Hi-Fi."

Convergence to better: less driver resonances, less peaks, smoother more linear FR, extend air. I think few would argue with that. There shouldn't be a reason why we have to pay $2000 for a LCD2 to get a smoother treble. We won't get better until we demand better. I was an early critic of the ringing / unsmooth treble and unit-to-unit variability on the LCD2. Of course most LCD2 fans just showed me FR graphs and told me to ****.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #2,180 of 11,521
Totally different headphones with each their unique colorations. I mean one is colored and the other is ummm, whatever. 
smile.gif

I have a contrast and comparison piece in the works. Keeping quiet about them until then.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #2,181 of 11,521
Hmm...seems like something good is coming out from the comparison of the W3000 and the LCD-3. I want to see some CSD plots of the Audio Technica.

By the way, does anyone know how much the earpad for LCD-3 is going to cost? It's not listed on the website.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #2,182 of 11,521

Quote:
Hmm...seems like something good is coming out from the comparison of the W3000 and the LCD-3. I want to see some CSD plots of the Audio Technica.

Oh, I'll assure you they will look messed up (haven't run the CSD measurements yet.) But that's the point of ATs

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #2,183 of 11,521
Guess it won't be as messed up as the earpads on my LCD-3. One side with thicker foam and one side with thinner foam...At first I thought the shape of my head is wrong, that it will be fine after few weeks of using it, but after two weeks in, I just had to contact Audez'e and get it fixed or something.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #2,184 of 11,521

Quote:

You mean like the Dr. Dre headphones below?

Besides, 3- 4db in 40 to 500Hz is very different from 10db in 20 to 1000Hz on the LCD3

It would seem the HP1000 fits the 3-4db boost from 40 to 500Hz better:

What Headroom didn't tell is the fact that the physical perception of the bass gets higher when the frequency gets lower. It means the LCD might be closer to the "natural sound" in that area.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2,185 of 11,521
The best way to get the visceral feel of bass is to run a sub with headphones. I am not kidding and I hope to build one when things get less busy for me after the new year.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2,186 of 11,521

Quote:
The best way to get the visceral feel of bass is to run a sub with headphones. I am not kidding and I hope to build one when things get less busy for me after the new year.

I already tried that. I time/phase aligned the headphones and the sub. The resonnace of the room made the subbass unprecised so I was losing definition.
You could also use a bass shaker on your chair.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #2,188 of 11,521
Tried the JL Audio F-213 subwoofer the other day... Dude... That's what real bass means...

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2,190 of 11,521
Brightness never ever equals to detail in any known or unknown universe. Sorry about my random thought. Just want to say it out while reading through this thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back