New Audeze LCD3
Dec 2, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,206 of 11,521

Quote:
Siemens CCa will be really hard to find. I will look for some E188CC (7308s) though. I have tried Telefunken 12AX7s and EL84s on my Leben and they do not suit my taste, so I will go for Amperex or Mullards, which I also have for my Leben and am happy with.

Yes a quad set of Siemens CCa from the early 60's in nos condition, very strong and well ballanced are very hard to come by these days. Try the stock JJ's in the Liquid Fire with your LCD-3's for about 150 hours or less, that should give you a good base point for when you start to roll tubes. imo the Siemens E88CC from the mid 70's sound almost as good as the CCa's do but at a much cheaper price, when using your LCD-3's. I can't say about my E88CC/6922 Amperex PQ tubes because I didn't try them with the LCD-3's.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2,207 of 11,521

Quote:
Siemens CCa will be really hard to find. I will look for some E188CC (7308s) though. I have tried Telefunken 12AX7s and EL84s on my Leben and they do not suit my taste, so I will go for Amperex or Mullards, which I also have for my Leben and am happy with.

Does the E188CC work on the Liquid Fire? They are great value for the money, if you can find some good ones. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #2,208 of 11,521
Thanks Sally. Still interested to know your thoughts on the Amperex though. Do they bring out more trebles from the Liquid Fire and the headphone you use with them?  

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #2,209 of 11,521

I have asked the same question in the Liquid Fire thread (I asked about 7308s) and the answer seems to be yes. 

The answer to the same question for 6DJ8 is not very clear though. Would be grateful if someone can shed some light on this.

Quote:
Does the E188CC work on the Liquid Fire? They are great value for the money, if you can find some good ones. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,210 of 11,521

Quote:
Thanks Sally. Still interested to know your thoughts on the Amperex though. Do they bring out more trebles from the Liquid Fire and the headphone you use with them?  

I do not have the LF, but from my experience with the Amperex 6922, Amperex 7308 and bunch of other tubes on the Schiit Lyr, they are typically warmer sounding than the Siemens. German made 6922/E88CC tubes usually have less warmth to them.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2,211 of 11,521
Thanks pal, I know what I should look for now - but I guess patiently wait for the LF to arrive first...

Quote:
I do not have the LF, but from my experience with the Amperex 6922, Amperex 7308 and bunch of other tubes on the Schiit Lyr, they are typically warmer sounding than the Siemens. German made 6922/E88CC tubes usually have less warmth to them.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2,212 of 11,521
So that I can use the JJs as a reference point after I get my Liquid Fire, how would you rank the following tubes in terms of (1) warmth / brightness (2) Bass ? Many thanks.

Amperex  JJ  Siemens

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #2,213 of 11,521

Quote:

imo, less than my Sienens CCa's or the Siemens E88CC's from the mid 70's using the LCD-3's.

Quote:

That is my thinking as well, and that's one of the reason's why I didn't try my Amperex PQ's with the LCD-3's.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #2,214 of 11,521
Tyll Herstens over at Innerfidelity: Audez'e shipped me one of their LCD-3 for measurement and review. A lovely headphone. Measurements show cleaner performance than previous LCD-2 measurements, but there's a strong family resemblance.

There's a link w/graphs of the 3 over at his site as well.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #2,215 of 11,521
Purrin, seriously, could you please do some measurements on the LCD3 using LCD2 earpads? Very interested to know.

To all other LCD3 owners - can you please do the following experiment and let me know your thoughts:

1. Position the earcup such that your ears are on the back of the earcup space (back of your ears touching back side of the earpad)
2. Position the earcup such that your ears are on the front of the earcup space (your earlobe touching the front side of the earpad)

Please post your impression as to any change to low mid range. Use Diana Krall as a reference point if possible - let me know if her voice is more prominent in 1 or 2, or no difference. Thanks.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2,216 of 11,521
[size=small]got a fever[/size], and the only prescription is [size=small]more cowbell[/size]!  That is the only way to test the LC-3's baby............more cowbell!!!

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #2,217 of 11,521

Quote:

I have asked the same question in the Liquid Fire thread (I asked about 7308s) and the answer seems to be yes. 

The answer to the same question for 6DJ8 is not very clear though. Would be grateful if someone can shed some light on this.

6dj8,6922,Cca are all in the same 9pin 6volt tube family. The only difference is build quality you can expect 6dj8 to last about 2500hrs,6922 5000hrs,CCa can last well over 5000hrs (I've read 10000). They are all interchangeable. Also don't dismiss the 6dj8 over build quality they can be some great sounding tubes as well. Anyway back to the LCD3..

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #2,218 of 11,521

Quote:
Tyll Herstens over at Innerfidelity: Audez'e shipped me one of their LCD-3 for measurement and review. A lovely headphone. Measurements show cleaner performance than previous LCD-2 measurements, but there's a strong family resemblance.

There's a link w/graphs of the 3 over at his site as well.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I heard the LCD3s at the NY meet but its nice to see the measurements as well.

My observations of the measurements (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD3sn2312454.pdf):
  1. Distortion looks to be much cleaner than either LCD2.
  2. It looks like the LCD3 has more treble than LCD2 rev1 but a similar frequency response to the LCD2 rev2. The highs still look to be ever so slightly on the dark side of neutral though.
  3. Bass, as usual for any LCD, looks outstanding. That 30hz sq wave sure looks nice.
  4. If anything, the second ring in the 300hz square wave looks worse than before.
  5. I'm not sure what is going on in the impulse response. That second big spike looks kind of weird.

On the whole, the measurements seem to indicate that the LCD3 sounds like a faster, clearer LCD2 rev2. Probably a bit more detail and a little tighter bass, but overall the same tonality. Sounds like Tyll had the same impressions.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm misreading anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back