New ATH-M50
Jan 29, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #31 of 79
I just ordered a set too. I can't wait. This is the highest end cans I have ever got so far, with everything else under $20
smily_headphones1.gif

Still planning on trying the Grado 325is and Senhesier HD600.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #34 of 79
ATH-M50 was meant to be driven by a good amp IMO. If you are using it unamped only, you are not hearing what it's capable of. If you want a great closed headphone for unamped use, then Shure SRH750 DJ or SRH440 (especially the former) are much better choices IMO.

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #35 of 79
This is gonna sound like a weird question, but can anyone tell me how much their pleather pads on the M50s swivel? Cause I've slipped mine off a couple of times to open them up and check out the insides - and now I'm kinda paranoid I've loosened them.

Mine will swivel a bit until the meet some resistance, but I can turn them a full 180 degrees with a bit of resistance but not really that much.

On your pair, do they sit pretty tight, or do they feel like they could swivel around pretty easy?

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #37 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is gonna sound like a weird question, but can anyone tell me how much their pleather pads on the M50s swivel? Cause I've slipped mine off a couple of times to open them up and check out the insides - and now I'm kinda paranoid I've loosened them.

Mine will swivel a bit until the meet some resistance, but I can turn them a full 180 degrees with a bit of resistance but not really that much.

On your pair, do they sit pretty tight, or do they feel like they could swivel around pretty easy?

Mine swivel pretty easily, but not like a weak handshake. You should be fine - if anything happens, there is a 2 year warranty on them, which should give you plenty of time to break them!

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #38 of 79
@Pianist

What it is the cheapest amp you would recommend using with the m50? I am not about to spend more than what I paid for the headphones on an amp (not because I don't believe it would be worth it, I just don't have that much to spend right now)

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #39 of 79
The ATH-M50 are much easier to drive then the Shure SRH440, and everyone seems to agree that the M50 doesn't really benefit much from an amp unless you are spending big bucks, and even then not much unless you spend even more to upgrade your source as well. In other words, the ATH-M50 are just fine unamped, and buying a high-end amp for exclusive use with the ATH-M50 is a waste of money.

The Shure SRH440 on the other hand does benefit from an amp, and the SRH840 pretty much requires an amp to get the most out of them. I have not heard the SRH750, but assuming that Pianist was implying they are easier to drive then the SRH440, their ability to be driven unamped must be close to that of the ATH-M50.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #40 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these compare with the M30's which are only $45? I have a pair that I always considered a great bidget phone, curious about the M50's.

From what I've heard the M50 is a pretty reasonable upgrade from the lower models, but I've never heard them personally.

RE: amp - the M50s certainly don't need an amp to run, as in they don't require a more powerful output. But surely a nice amp would provide some extra detail, maybe bring out the mids a bit more? I've been seriously considering the uDac but might wait for the Fiio E7 because the bass boost would be handy with my MS1s...

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #41 of 79
I just got the m50s. plugged it in my ipod... sound? unnatural garbage oh no!!! plugged it in my udac... better but still unnatural and canned sounding... OOOOHHH NOOOO!!! Burn in better make a miracle happen or its gonna be another item up for sale in a day
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #43 of 79
I really hate to tell you guys this : But my ATH-M50s now have 440hrs of burn in on them, and after not listening for the past two days, they have changed even again !!! Good news is they are getting MUCH better in the mids and highs, more coheshion ( sp ). Bad news is, although the bass is gaining in great levels of resolution, tone, and character ,... it is also getting slightly more prominent ..... The Kees mod is definitely needing to be tried next.

Also, while these phones are VERY fun to listen to on dynamic music, they never let you forget they were designed to be studio monitors first. They are very revealing of the quality of source being used, and excell with better sources.

Lastly, regardless of how easy they are to drive, my P-51 Mustang made a completely different set of cans of them, and they REALLY shine with this amps extension and neutrality.

HTH

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #45 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they dont make me happy by tomorrow, I'm gonna ditch them for some basics... Sony V6
biggrin.gif

sorry to hear you aren't loving you're M50s - they do have a slightly distant, warmish sound which may sound a little unnatural, particularly if you're into that super dry Grado sound.

I've just tried a little mod that sounds really promising. If I'm still loving it in 24hours I might post a thread with photos. It's nothing hard- basically filling in the back of the driver cup with a little extra dampening material (there is already so in there)

It also involves covering the holes which surround the main driver. There are 14 holes on the front panel (underneath the pleather pads) which port bass from the cup behind the driver. I covered the top 7 and covered 4 down the bottom, so it still ports a little bass.

Like I said it sounds very promising. Bass is a little toned down, with better texture & detail. But the biggest difference is, surprisingly, a much warmer, detailed & intimate midrange. The mids now much more closely resemble the mids of my old AT-AD900s. A little coloured, sure, but who cares when it sounds this rad!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back