*NEW* Apple Ipod Shuffle
Mar 12, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #121 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, here's your (depressing) answer: Using Apple Earphones with Remote with iPod shuffle (3rd generation)

Methinks Apple really lost their marbles on this one.

They have got to be insane! That reminds me of what you have to go through to program the alarm on a cheap digital watch.

I can think of times when voice navigation would be very nice, but they fell short on the rest of the package.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #122 of 278
Ah, er--no thanks!

Why bother when for US$30 less you can get a 4 GB SanDisk SANSA Clip? The Clip may be physically bigger than the new iPod shuffle (but not much bigger!) but look at all the advantages of the Clip:

1) A real display.
2) Built-in FM tuner.
3) Excellent sound quality.
4) Reasonable navigation controls.
5) You can use you own 3.5 mm stereo phone plug headphones.

I can just see SanDisk cleaning up on this market from shocked potential iPod shuffle users with a lot more Clip sales.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #123 of 278
yeah also battery life is better, everything is better, and cheaper too, more features... and you can also buy from iTunes Plus convert to mp3 and put it on the Clip :p or buy CDs.

but the clip is more bulky about triple the size of the shuffle :p and i wish they could market it bit better... i went to 5 major retailers in australia, none of them even have a Clip...

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #124 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonder how it sounds. The design doesn't really appeal to me, but I must admit they really know how to make a small device.

And I don't see the talking function as their solution for having no screen. Half the time these things don't work, and how would it deal with non-standard English characters.

The talking function works extremely well on my iPod Nano 4gb, I was pleasantly surprised.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #125 of 278
This sounds like they are forcing people to use this when in reality there are still 4 different models to chose from for different people and senarios or there is always
other players from other mfg's. Has anyone here tried this unit yet.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #126 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah also battery life is better, everything is better, and cheaper too, more features... and you can also buy from iTunes Plus convert to mp3 and put it on the Clip :p or buy CDs.

but the clip is more bulky about triple the size of the shuffle :p and i wish they could market it bit better... i went to 5 major retailers in australia, none of them even have a Clip...

BIG no-no! Everytime you go from lossy to lossy = extra loss in quality.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #127 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BIG no-no! Everytime you go from lossy to lossy = extra loss in quality.

Well still better than not able to play on players that doesnt support AAC
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #128 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds like they are forcing people to use this when in reality there are still 4 different models to chose from for different people and senarios or there is always
other players from other mfg's. Has anyone here tried this unit yet.

Yeah i would consider the Nano over this... now that the price difference is abit closer...

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #130 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use Amazon
wink.gif

I'll just buy CDs :p And im in Australia, Amazon is a strange beast, only for US customers...

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #132 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll just buy CDs :p And im in Australia, Amazon is a strange beast, only for US customers...

indeed...and they have some of the best prices too...

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #133 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple Lossless through Apple stock earbuds = meh. What's the point?

I really think that the earphone control issue will be the deal breaker for Head-fiers. If someone comes up with a small, affordable third-party solution it may have a chance. If the Apple FM radio control that someone else mentioned will solve the problem that's an option as well, but I own one and it's as big as the 2G Shuffle itself. Kinda negates the wonderful miniaturization acheived in this new design, does it not?

IMO this is a very problematic design for anyone who cares about sound fidelity AND form factor AND price point.

Agreed. As others have mentioned, being locked to their earbuds absolutely kills this product. And Apple stole the voice idea from Rockbox, which bugs me.

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #134 of 278
This looks good, especially the ability to have multiple playlists, but building the controls into the stock buds is a problem. I think I'll stick with the Clip - the new shuffle may be a bit smaller, but the clip is already pretty small and any reduction in size doesn't provide that much benefit. Also, can anyone tell if this new shuffle syncs through the headphone jack? I remember seeing some discussion of how that may have created some of the hiss issues on the 2G shuffles.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #135 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, er--no thanks!

Why bother when for US$30 less you can get a 4 GB SanDisk SANSA Clip? The Clip may be physically bigger than the new iPod shuffle (but not much bigger!) but look at all the advantages of the Clip:

1) A real display.
2) Built-in FM tuner.
3) Excellent sound quality.
4) Reasonable navigation controls.
5) You can use you own 3.5 mm stereo phone plug headphones.

I can just see SanDisk cleaning up on this market from shocked potential iPod shuffle users with a lot more Clip sales.
biggrin.gif

i ain't bashing the clip but no one has heard the shuffle yet. it may actually be as good as the touch or nano in which case, there would be many who supported its sq as much as the clip, though at headfi would be a different story as clip is somehow ascended to heaven.

no reason to really bash it yet but... who knows, maybe in a week there will be!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back