New apple duel driver earphones, for only $79?
Oct 19, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 65
Something i don't get is why they get so much hype.
Is it because it is dual driver at 79?

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, people need to stop this "dual driver are all better than single driver" nonsense...

No they don't ... the IEMs generally considered to be the top 3 performers all use mutliple drivers (UM2, SE530, Triple.Fi) so it's hardly nonsense. The SA6 and ER-4P/S are also well regarded generally, but are further back in the pecking order. Mutliple drivers seem to have the edge.

What people need to do is not expect miracles from an $80 earphone just because it's got dual drivers. No one has heard the new Apple earphones yet, but it's fair to say they're likely to be better than the stock apple buds, but they're not going to be the best available earphones on the market.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 65
Why do you think of Sleek SA6, it is single driver just as the Klipsh Image.
Is the Etymotic ER4 a single or a multiple driver, I don't remember
confused.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 65
SA6, Klipsc and ER4 are all single driver constructions, the ER4 even a 17 year old design that hasn't been changed in all that time if you except the launch of ER4-P. Of the higher driver count iem's I've only heard the Tripple.fi and while an excelent iem I still prefer the ER4 over all other iem's I've tried, especially in the APS P recabled version.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 65
I'd like to know why they're not available yet. They said October..... the end approaches and still no earphones....

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, people need to stop this "dual driver are all better than single driver" nonsense, a single driver has strengths over a dual driver.

the only time a single driver can actually sound better than multi drivers is when something is compromised, example: bass.

now let me explain, the sa6 which ive seen you praise in every thread is a mild exception because it tries to improve bass with ports. but the shure se310 uses a port among others but in reality no port will ever be as good as an extra driver solely used for bass. this is why 90% of single driver earphones lacks bass, um1, ety er4, super fi 3, etc etc, all use single armatures and all lack real bass. i mean what do you think would happen if the manufacturers boosted the bass, and ill answer...the mids and highs would be ruined, hence the need for more drivers.

the only single drivers that can manage on thier own when tuned correctly is dynamic drivers, hence manufacturers are starting to use dynamic drivers for high end single driver earpeices, imho single armatures really dont work all that well, the sa6 is a minor blip that is at least trying to give a single armature a fuller sound but again using ports is no substitute for that extra driver

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only time a single driver can actually sound better than multi drivers is when something is compromised, example: bass.

now let me explain, the sa6 which ive seen you praise in every thread is a mild exception because it tries to improve bass with ports. but the shure se310 uses a port among others but in reality no port will ever be as good as an extra driver solely used for bass. this is why 90% of single driver earphones lacks bass, um1, ety er4, super fi 3, etc etc, all use single armatures and all lack real bass. i mean what do you think would happen if the manufacturers boosted the bass, and ill answer...the mids and highs would be ruined, hence the need for more drivers.

the only single drivers that can manage on thier own when tuned correctly is dynamic drivers, hence manufacturers are starting to use dynamic drivers for high end single driver earpeices, imho single armatures really dont work all that well, the sa6 is a minor blip that is at least trying to give a single armature a fuller sound but again using ports is no substitute for that extra driver

I don't know much about the technology and physics behind earphones, so I have a question: I have read other threads about the Sleek Custom and most seem to praise it very highly, even to the point that it can rival UE11. So I don't quite understand that if what you said were true, since I believe the custom only has 1 driver either.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by LCeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know much about the technology and physics behind earphones, so I have a question: I have read other threads about the Sleek Custom and most seem to praise it very highly, even to the point that it can rival UE11. So I don't quite understand that if what you said were true, since I believe the custom only has 1 driver either.
wink.gif

no that particular custom (ue11) has 4 drivers but what im saying is this.

one driver = highs, mids and lows going through 1 driver. now a tweeter is a speeker designed to respond very very fast, meaning it can give accurate fast highs, a subwoofer is designed to move much slower and further to move more air, now if you have one driver doing these jobs how can that driver move fast and slow at the same time and produce great sound...it cant ( this is why single full range drivers that are amazing are not easy to find ). this is why manufacturers choose to tone down the bass because bass is the most damaging to the accuracy of sound with one driver.

so you tell me, how can one driver produce as much quality bass as the ue11 and keep the sweet accurate highs and mids being produced with one single armature driver??

the sleeks try to do this by introducing a choice of ports. a port is designed to open up the bass and produce more bass, yet ports are less accurate than sealed enclosures, but imo ( in my opinion ) a port is no match for a seperate driver and that single driver in the sleeks is still doing 3 jobs when its much better off doing one of the 3.

this is ofcourse my opinion and i dont doubt the sleeks are great but its common sence that seperate drivers will produce a cleaner more accurate range of frequencies, especially bass, its like trying to push a tweeter to produce bass, it dont work well, actually it dont work at all.

its very rare to find a superb full range driver and if you do its expensive. the same can be said for the etymotics, its not that the ety's are amazing, its simply the fact that etymotic chose to leave bass volume down to keep the highs and mids sweet, but in reality multi driver earphones are leaving the ety's behind hence people are hoping ety step up to the multi driver plate soon.

edit: oh and one more thing, do you think people are going to go out and get the sleek custom and admit they like something else better, nope and im the same, i dont believe anything is better to my ears than my se530, and i say this because they are the ones i own and have gotten used to.

one other thing this thread is about the apple dual drivers, id like to point out that i dont think more drivers is better full stop, and ofcourse its all about the tuning and crossover integration among other things, i have no doubt the apple dual drivers will be terrible and outclassed by many single driver phones, but id bet you will hear more bass from the apple phones, it wont be great bass, thats left to the pro's. UE,SHURE,WESTONE etc etc

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 65
Nono, what you said made sense, and I wasn't disagreeing with you. It's just that I have seen reviews comparing the sleek custom to the UE 11, saying the sleek can almost rival the UE11's SQ, yet the sleek custom only has one driver while the UE has 4. So I couldn't quite understand how that's possible, especially considering what you have said.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 65
the selling point for me on these might be that inline mic and remote. I hope they turn out to be pretty good.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by RTTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the selling point for me on these might be that inline mic and remote. I hope they turn out to be pretty good.

Funny you should mention that, cuz it's exactly what put me OFF these earphones. I don't own an iPhone and if I did, I still don't think I would want these..

Funnily enough, though, I saw these and thought "great, Apple are making some decent earbuds for a change!" and like 2 days later my iBuds broke, leading me down the slippery slope into the world of high end earphones.. $440AUD later I'm waiting on a pair of triple driver customs
ksc75smile.gif
So I guess I should be thankful to them in a way and I really do wanna see what they sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back