NEW! Apogee ONE for iOS
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
This little portable DAC/amp sounds amazing...  Ruler flat response.  I love it.

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 12
it sounds nice too.  very neutral and plenty of power, even with 100 Ohms IEMs.

This is an intriguing product. I have two questions relating to its use as a headphone amp for an iOS device:
1. In your video you use a Lightning adapter. Does that mean when using an iOS device it cannot take a digital input? So the DAC in the One is bypassed?
2. How would you rate this amplifier versus some well known amps or DAC/amps around the same price level?

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 12
This little guy is absolutely stunning!  It's doesn't have as much kick in the bottoms as my Wyred4Sound (running in Class A), but it will drive almost everything you throw at it.  I am very impressed and I'll be buying one for personal use and for use at CanJam to audition headphones.

There is a MFI approved Lightning to Mini USB cable available now from Apogee.  At the time of my video it was not available yet.  Using the 30 pin Dock or the Lightning cable WILL bypass the internal DAC of the iOS device.  All the processing will be handled by the ONE for iOS.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Not really portable as a headphone amp/dac, but sounds really nice. Btw does anyone else who has the One notice a springy "boing2" sound when when pressing the clickwheel? Is it normal or is it just mine?

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 12
  This little guy is absolutely stunning!  It's doesn't have as much kick in the bottoms as my Wyred4Sound (running in Class A), but it will drive almost everything you throw at it.  I am very impressed and I'll be buying one for personal use and for use at CanJam to audition headphones.

There is a MFI approved Lightning to Mini USB cable available now from Apogee.  At the time of my video it was not available yet.  Using the 30 pin Dock or the Lightning cable WILL bypass the internal DAC of the iOS device.  All the processing will be handled by the ONE for iOS.

I'm intrigued why this product doesn't seem to generate much interest on head-fi. It must be the only portable DAC/amp for iOS iPhones etc that can be used with AA batteries which must be a huge plus when traveling.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 12
  Does anyone know if this works with the iPod Classic as an external DAC/AMP?

I'd also be interested if this works with older iPod models such as the Classic or 3rd-gen Touches (just as an outboard DAC, not any of the other software or features).

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 12
It appears that the Apogee ONE is not "Apple Certified" like earlier iPod DACs such as the HRT iStreamer or the Fostex HP-P1.
The Apogee requires a device running iOS 7.1 or greater to function as a USB DAC.

Classics or older Touch's that are limited to previous versions of iOS won't work, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back