New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #1,321 of 1,351
Have you ever had a 2.5mm jack fail? I haven't. 2.5mm is a standard, it works, and its a lot more sensible when the push is to have smaller devices. Sony decides to buck the trend and comes out with the 4.4mm and everyone swoons over it. The SQ will not be affected by the jack size. It's typical audiophile reaction to a problem that doesn't exist.

- bigger = better
- more drivers = better
- newer = better
- more expensive = better

Except mostly thats not true. And in this case I hope the 4.4mm just fades away. Its an answer to a problem that isn't there.

I'm my experience 3.5mm is more reliable(read more sturdy) if only for true portable purposes. In the event your on a crowded bus, or simply walking around and get snagged on something lord forbid. The 3.5mm is gonna take it much better than the 2.5mm which is not going to survive as well. Speaking from a experience with my my time with the valoq. With the hifiman901s I've since reterminated all of my cables to 3.5mm trrs and the few times I almost screwed myself the 3.5mm plug took it like a champ. Best to consider all aspects in both regards.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,322 of 1,351
I'm my experience 3.5mm is more reliable(read more sturdy) if only for true portable purposes. In the event your on a crowded bus, or simply walking around and get snagged on something lord forbid. The 3.5mm is gonna take it much better than the 2.5mm which is not going to survive as well. Speaking from a experience with my my time with the valoq. With the hifiman901s I've since reterminated all of my cables to 3.5mm trrs and the few times I almost screwed myself the 3.5mm plug took it like a champ. Best to consider all aspects in both regards.
Since you insist on considering all aspects, try this one with a low-value cable: pull on your cable violently.

My experience: 2.5mm gets disconnected easily most of the time because it is quite slick, which is actually good because it minimizes the damage that could happen to connectors/cable otherwise. With 3.5mm, it really depends on how firm the female connector is, but I've seen horrible s**t happen over the years, because it was not designed to disconnect very easily.

And anyway, I fail to see why you would mention 3.5mm trrs, which is not a standard anyway. It is dead fish in a little pool, being limited to a couple of Sony devices and some Hifiman devices.

The debate was about moving from 2.5mm to 4.4mm, which I indeed fail to see as a move forward for portable devices. Is is just what it is: cheesy marketing relying on "bigger is better".
The only question about innovation is: did it solve anything or anyone's problem ? If anything had been properly demonstrated, Sony would claim it very clearly. Fact is: they didn't.

It is about as innovative as making flagship DAPs so heavy because you obviously need a 500 gram copper/titanium/steel/diamond chassis for grounding so it sounds better. What really matters is what's inside the DAP, it's not a bloody trumpet, it is digital. At no point does the audio signal go through the chassis. Chassis just needs to be sturdy, conductive in some areas, and able to shield from EMI. If they can do it with 50g of aluminum/magnesium for a flagship smartphone with NFC/BT/WiFi, they certainly can do the same for a portable DAP and keep it reasonably light.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,323 of 1,351
Well as we see here different experiences evoke certain biases. If you go back and read my post no where did I explicitly state "Bigger is better" as a retort or for my reasoning for my argument. I simply shared that I personally owned a Venturecraft soundroid Valoq and had a IC that went from its 2.5mm jack to a 3.5mm plug on the opposite end which connected with my headphone conditioner.
In that experience which I will further flesh out here and now, I was riding public transportation which at the time was quite crowded. As someone got up to leave and get off they bumped into me not even hard but just enough that my 2.5mm plug snapped right off. It should be mentioned as well that this particular IC was a prion4 cable. Quite thick and not quite up to the task of stacking.
In this particular event the 3.5mm was able to take and hold up to with what the 2.5mm couldn't.

My reasoning for mentioning the 3.5mm trrs is because I moved on to a hifiman 901s and with both my 901s and headphone conditioner they both utilize 3.5mm trrs connections.

I realize not everyone will use or see the use of 3.5mm trrs as even the latest Hifiman offering has gone on to 4.4 (why I don't know). But regardless you would do well to use honey to catch a fly so to speak, you might find people more willing to converse and discuss. The way I read your rebuttal was more a condemnation and disregard for anyone who might see the value in a 3.5mm plug.

Either way I'm not wanting to further this as I just wanted to present another perspective.

Regards

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,327 of 1,351
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #1,328 of 1,351
LP6 with r2rdac has been announced recently.

173053a193tqt1gfxr0ftz.jpg

173053jyjp3u30jqfxdj30.jpg

173053vi0vqyi4kikfv7qi.jpg

172925yj7x57lse7wrt75p.jpg

172953g7sdiizyipt7y7sp.jpg

152004kokq4ej54e0c4m5j.jpg

173017rnfayn71g6l1l8n6.jpg

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #1,331 of 1,351
2018-04-13 L5Pro V1.0.1.5

1, increase the play list (collection) function, long press select entry can choose to join the list.
2, increase the file delete function (the file being played can not be deleted).
3. Fix individual TF compatibility issues.
4, repair individual music format compatibility issues.
5. Fix the problem of crashes caused by unsupported file systems.

https://pan.baidu.com/s/11vADrZFHiKx-nYoORjaCrA

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #1,335 of 1,351
Hi. a new update is now available in the L&P Site.

Version: V1.0.1.7

Update Content:
1. Support sliding list selection firmware.

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1l6aWi2FOswuTP-rAtJHCrA

I do have one problem though. I am used to be able to download the update file directly to PC but I can't seem to download this version. After the confirmation code is typed, it does not proceed with the download. Is there any other site wherein I can download the update pack?

*Seems like we need to download through the Baidu application / site.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back