New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Nov 23, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #797 of 1,351
Glad to see the library update now works in the latest firmware. There still is a problem with files not being showed for some artists though.
Any idea when sliding, search or fast scrolling will be introduced? I have to click about 80 times to get to a specific artist. 

Sound wise this DAP still rocks but the super slow roll off isn't for me.

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #798 of 1,351
  Glad to see the library update now works in the latest firmware. There still is a problem with files not being showed for some artists though.
Any idea when sliding, search or fast scrolling will be introduced? I have to click about 80 times to get to a specific artist. 

Sound wise this DAP still rocks but the super slow roll off isn't for me.

Yea, how L5 Pro interact with tagging is kind of weird, I have worked with Brooko to find out whats wrong over the weekend and sent Mr.Wan some test results. Hopefully it would be improved soon. 

Sliding is definitely on the list for fimware update, but it would sure take a while. =(

I usually switch between different digital filter settings for different genres of music, for example female vocal for fast, male vocal for slow, classic/rock for super slow etc. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #799 of 1,351
Tagging is definitely "challenging".  Tags that work flawlessly on other DAPs aren't recognised with the L5 Pro.  Thank goodness for folder browsing :)

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #801 of 1,351
  This DAP just needs those extra bits of improvement on the FW/UI and then it would be one of the better DAPs on the market for sure.
Fiio's X7 is stunning as well tbh

One step at a time.
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #802 of 1,351
i just had a demo session with a loan l5 pro and i now know what you guys mean. it's a button-control system without any advantages of a touch screen, except a larger display. it is a very long way to go to make it the machine Mr. Wan and his team want to build. i want a dynamic playlist implemented.(why am i so obssessed with it) i can't find a way to play two folders at once. unless they are added to a saved playlist? it is now the only thing that holds me now. even a quick playlist like in the paw 5000 is enough for me.

sound wise, i don't know how they can improve on top of that(i am quote new to this hobby).

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #803 of 1,351
L5 pro short SQ impression
At first listen, you'll immediately be impressed by the L5pro's musicality. It has a a very smooth detailed presentation. Instrumentation is artuculated well with quick mid bass and transients. -(Dire Straits - Money for nothing).
The L5pro has a lush and enveloping mids that wraps you with pure musical joy. Vocals and instruments are well separated and staged. It sounds big with depth, height and width but not as grand as a full size home rig.
Bass is quick, tight and with authority. Some may find it too tight or slightly elevated but it is well presented that you may not notice it. Bass hits with enough bloom and natural decay.
Treble is where the L5pro asserts it superiority. Top end frequencies are detailed and layered well without any hint of sibilance with my Lear BD4.2 and recalibrated Lear W60. I can honestly say that the highs are ETHEREAL when listening to Almarro (Caught in the middle -DSD) & Dire Straits (Your latest trick -wav 16/44).
I tried comparing the dx90, dx80, ak120ii, ak100ii, fiio x7 and the L5P's sq is far superior. IMHO, the L5P's SQ is more detailed and dynamic than the AK240 duralium which for me is warmer. The L5P is also more stable in DSD playback.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #804 of 1,351
L5 pro short SQ impression
At first listen, you'll immediately be impressed by the L5pro's musicality. It has a a very smooth detailed presentation. Instrumentation is artuculated well with quick mid bass and transients. -(Dire Straits - Money for nothing).
The L5pro has a lush and enveloping mids that wraps you with pure musical joy. Vocals and instruments are well separated and staged. It sounds big with depth, height and width but not as grand as a full size home rig.
Bass is quick, tight and with authority. Some may find it too tight or slightly elevated but it is well presented that you may not notice it. Bass hits with enough bloom and natural decay.
Treble is where the L5pro asserts it superiority. Top end frequencies are detailed and layered well without any hint of sibilance with my Lear BD4.2 and recalibrated Lear W60. I can honestly say that the highs are ETHEREAL when listening to Almarro (Caught in the middle -DSD) & Dire Straits (Your latest trick -wav 16/44).
I tried comparing the dx90, dx80, ak120ii, ak100ii, fiio x7 and the L5P's sq is far superior. IMHO, the L5P's SQ is more detailed and dynamic than the AK240 duralium which for me is warmer. The L5P is also more stable in DSD playback.

I definitely agree with you on musicality and sibilance. L5 Pro has one of the most detailed / layered highs while keeping sibilance almost non-existence. 

I am looking forward to trying L5 Pro as USB DAC with the soon-coming firmware update. 

Also I think amazon is having a crazy sale on it's Sandisk Micro-SD cards, while be smart to get a 200 GB one if you want to store more beefy DSD files. 

PS. WOW it is my 300th post on Head-Fi!

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #805 of 1,351
I definitely agree with you on musicality and sibilance. L5 Pro has one of the most detailed / layered highs while keeping sibilance almost non-existence. 

I am looking forward to trying L5 Pro as USB DAC with the soon-coming firmware update. 

Also I think amazon is having a crazy sale on it's Sandisk Micro-SD cards, while be smart to get a 200 GB one if you want to store more beefy DSD files. 

PS. WOW it is my 300th post on Head-Fi!

I decided to go for 2pcs 128gb John. I'll just switch bet. them. I think its easier to load on 2 128gb's than a 200gb but yeah the $99 offer of amazon is enticing. :wink:

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #806 of 1,351
Well, I'm continue to compare L5Pro with everything I can grab, and my impression is that L5Pro is THE BEST EXISTING PLAYER in terms of resolution and speed.

Even AK240 is a bit worse in this aspect. And Questyle QP1R (which is excellent in sound quality). And Cayin N6, and Fiio X7...

I understand, that it's a really serious statement, but it's my subjective opinion and I'll stand with it :)

Sometimes, this speed is a curse, especially on big orchestra classic recordings of high quality. I can definitely distinguish and position every instrument in orchestra, but that's impossible in real life :) So, L5Pro sometimes sounds more detailed then real life :)

Luckily L&P engineers made super slow filter, that is very useful in this cases.

So, to be short, for me L5Pro is the best DAP by: sound quality, build, control. All that LP should do, is to fix software problems (nothing critical, but top-end DAP should be excellent in all aspects) and add missing features.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #807 of 1,351
Well, I'm continue to compare L5Pro with everything I can grab, and my impression is that L5Pro is THE BEST EXISTING PLAYER in terms of resolution and speed.

Even AK240 is a bit worse in this aspect. And Questyle QP1R (which is excellent in sound quality). And Cayin N6, and Fiio X7...

Woah, that's quite a claim. I've had my eye on the Onkyo DP-X1 and Fiio X7 for quite a while, but undeveloped firmware and UI are pushing me towards the L5Pro - not that the firmware in the L5Pro is much better, but at least it works well! Haha. 

Cleg - if you don't mind me asking, resolution and speed aside, what would you say the L5Pro does better/worse than the players you listed? 

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #808 of 1,351
I have about a dozen of DAPs, while the L5Pro sounds very good I wouldn't dare say it sounds better than the AKs or the X7 in example. I would rather say it sounds different: it has advantages and disadvantages.
But the FW/UI isn't anywhere near the other daps

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #809 of 1,351
Yep - what Ultra said.

Great sounding DAP - but I'm really hoping that with the next firmware they start making some strides with the UI.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #810 of 1,351
Cleg - if you don't mind me asking, resolution and speed aside, what would you say the L5Pro does better/worse than the players you listed? 

With L5Pro I started to like music like The Prodigy (their old albums), that powerful bass, it's what I need. L5Pro sound is like a photo, with sharpen filter, it shows small details and nuances. In some rare cases you can get tired of this and want some "blur"

I have about a dozen of DAPs, while the L5Pro sounds very good I wouldn't dare say it sounds better than the AKs or the X7 in example. I would rather say it sounds different: it has advantages and disadvantages.
But the FW/UI isn't anywhere near the other daps

That's why I've said, that it's my subjective perception. All DAPs (even best ones) have it's pluses and minuses, but combination of L5Pro advantages and drawbacks suits me best of all :)

And speaking about UI, for example, QP1R is much worse, it's wheel is almost unusable, at least on mine instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back