New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Nov 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #782 of 1,351
  Here is the minor firmware I was talking about few days ago. 

1.0.0.4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ysr0w44kzsvun/LPFWPKG_L5Pro_V1.0.0.4B.rar?dl=0
Change Blog:
1. Fixed library update bugs.
2. Fixed file counting related bugs. 
3. Fixed weird interaction with certain FLAC ID3. 
4. Added Super Slow Roll-off for digital filter. 

Also, if the library sorting stopped working after the firmware update, just use library update.

I updated.

My files are immaculately tagged - all manually, all by me.  They are recognised in every Fiio or other device I've tried.  The L5 Pro still doesn't recognise any of the tags.  I guess I have to go back to the beginning and try reloading everything again.  It's getting a bit frustrating really.

The L5 Pro sounds really good - great in fact. And folder browsing works wonderfully.  But what would really help is if they just left the UI to someone else - and allowed it to be Android based.

Guess I've got to try and nut this out ......

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #783 of 1,351

I updated.

My files are immaculately tagged - all manually, all by me.  They are recognized in every Fiio or other device I've tried.  The L5 Pro still doesn't recognise any of the tags.  I guess I have to go back to the beginning and try reloading everything again.  It's getting a bit frustrating really.

The L5 Pro sounds really good - great in fact. And folder browsing works wonderfully.  But what would really help is if they just left the UI to someone else - and allowed it to be Android based.

Guess I've got to try and nut this out ......

What do you mean by L5 Pro is not recognizing them? Can't read tags or sorting doesn't work.

Did the same occur before/after update?

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #784 of 1,351
Same as before.  Library scan.  All the songs show up under "song".  1 Artist shows up, and only one song under artist (everything else appears under "no artist").  Three albums show up under album - each with one song showing.

So I checked the tags of the ones showing - and they are no different to any of the other tags.

Almost everything is FLAC (except for 6-7 DSD albums).  Almost all of the FLAC is redbook, but some 24/96, 24/192.

I've been waiting for firmware before I actually review it - but even the latest update is not fixing anything for me.

I've been around the block enough to know how to tag correctly.  What do I do - reformat the discs (internal and external) and start again?  I'm hoping its not my unit - and I really don't want to be doubting L&P. But first the card issue on the LP5 Gold.  Now the broken pot, and library issues on the L5 Pro.  Am I just unlucky?

Thankfully folder browsing works perfectly, and if I'm careful with the pot (turn very slowly) I can still adjust the volume.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #786 of 1,351
Nov 22, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #787 of 1,351
Was listening to Super Slow Roll-off all weekend, and found that it add an extra bit of lushness to the sound, especially on the files with lower sample rate, much nicer to my ears.

What do you guys think of this Super Slow Roll-off?

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #789 of 1,351
I have similar feelings, but personally, I think l5 pro needs more punch and speed, do you planning some super fast Roll-off?

Yea, according to AKM's technical documents, fast roll-off is suppose to have more "Powerful" sound, so yeah that would be punch and speed.

The digital filter setting is per-installed into the DAC by AKM, so i don't think there are ways to make new ones.

But however, I heard rumors that they are working on some up-sampling magic, could be another sound tuning setting we can be playing with.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #790 of 1,351
Joy unconfined. My DHL Package arrived this morning - from Hong Kong to The Highlands - a day early. Good job Penon Audio!

My first experience of my L5 Pro was a real white knuckle ride and, after only 20 minutes or so, I got the package open. 

angry_face.gif

Forget rock / paper / scissors, I have just mastered gaffer tape / scissors / knife. 

And there was a stunning, industrial chic DAP inside the parcel too. And a free set of earphones - another cool  touch from Penon Audio.

My L5 Pro intro...

My L5 Pro is now charging. Before I actually get to play my new DAP, I need a couple of prompts from you L5 Pros out there..
(I received Chinese instructions only!)

1 My screen is locked; how do I unlock it? 
2 How do i navigate from the (unlocked!) home screen to language to select English?

Your help and tolerance will be very much appreciated!
;<)
L5 Amateur

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #792 of 1,351
Ultrainferno
Did some part of your imagination convince you that your reply might be helpful? 

In the absence of friendly assistance I am experimenting. I'm sure I will stumble on a solution.

Thank you for your reply.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #793 of 1,351
That was a very friendly reply and all the answers you seek are one Page 1 (lock screen - setting to English, etc). Read first before posting please, thank you. An apology doesn't hurt either.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760848/new-and-improved-luxury-precision-l5-pro-32bit-dsd-dap-with-akm-ak4490-touch-screen-rosewood-blackplate#post_11458337

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #794 of 1,351
Hot stuff, Ultrainferno!

blink.gif

Apologies if my somewhat ironic sense of humour came across as petulant. I was just trying to use self-effacing wit as a means of excusing my inability to get my L5 Pro going.

FYI, I have read EVERY page of this thread and I'm not taken to wasting headfier time because I'm too lazy to do my homework. As it happens, I somehow missed Rontant's most helpful addition to John Yang's definitive post on page one of the thread. Thank you for the link anyway.

There you go; an apology AND a thank you on the same day!

;<)

albaman

ps Lock, language and settings now sorted, thx. Norah Jones is melting my cold cold heart as I type - easily transferred a few albums to the internal memory. SQ is ridiculously good without any burn in at all - more depth, breadth and dynamism than my X5 already. Next issue seems to be getting the L5 to recogniser the 64gb card i inserted, fully loaded with FLAC tracks. Simultaneous burning in and reading up, I suspect...

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #795 of 1,351
Hi Albaman, 

To get you started on the right foot, make sure you format both internal memory and micro-sd card to FAT32 format. This format works best with L5 Pro's system.

Also, update to firmware version 1.0.0.4 if your unit isn't already.

Meanwhile I will try to bug LP about having a language selection for first boot. XD

PS. L5 Pro will sound more neutral and revealing after roughly 200 hours of burn-in. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back