New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Feb 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,112 of 1,351
  Thanks, John.
I myself am surprised issue volume. I used to date a Sony DAT, maximum volume was halfway ... With the LP5 Pro, gain ultra high and volume to 55 !
Lionel

Have you tried pairing L5 Pro with another headphone with similar specification? To check if there is a problem with the player/headphone/music file.

The volume level feels rather strange to me.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,113 of 1,351
obvious but... not plugged into Line Out are you?

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,114 of 1,351
As soon as possible I'll go try other headphones with LP5 Pro ... I'll give you feedback.
Small question: I saw the pictures that display of the view-meters was possible. I don't find (firmware 06)?
Problem of software updates or disappearance of with this feature?

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,116 of 1,351
  As soon as possible I'll go try other headphones with LP5 Pro ... I'll give you feedback.
Small question: I saw the pictures that display of the view-meters was possible. I don't find (firmware 06)?
Problem of software updates or disappearance of with this feature?

It was with L5 that has the voltmeter, but they cancel that one with L5 Pro as more people prefer album art with that space.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,119 of 1,351
  I don't have DSD 128/256 files at hand, but I heard they are not supported on L5 Pro.

free test download here
http://www.2l.no/hires/

i'm tested DSD formats on l5pro:
Stereo 24BIT/352.8kHz FLAC - ОК
Stereo 24BIT/192kHz FLAC - ОК
Stereo 24BIT/96kHz FLAC - ОК
Stereo DSD 256 DSF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 128 DSF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 64 DSF - ОК
Stereo DSD 128 DFF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 64 DFF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 64 ISO <3 Gb - OK
Stereo DSD 64 ISO >3 Gb - FAIL

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #1,121 of 1,351

It is normal to lower the volume level for -3dB~-6dB for EQ to avoid volume overflow for some boosted frequency.

No John, with the firmware 06, the opposite is true! (+5dB approx.). A significant jump (stronger) when I pass a presset to another. With previous version 05, it's the opposite and in "normal" mode the sound is slightly lower (unless it is the dynamic?). In any case, whatever the headphones or intra I use, the overall volume will be that with a gain between high and ultra high and not less than 50 for volume ... Very surprising with all the reviews that I have read.

By cons, I'm surprised that no one has tried DSD formats in 128 or 256! For reviewers, it's a minimum... Not that the difference is huge between 64 and 256 (I think), but the official specifications mention DSD 256. If that does not work, it's not normal and commercially reprehensible ....

But my main regret is that the volume, and management of files (if no numbers of tracks, Albums read alphabetically, not in order of the disc! is absolutely crazy and really unusable for me, notably with classical).

If no fast cure, I would refer to Penon Audio.
Moreover, I am sharing these mishaps on a blog in French (tellementnomade.org), not a good advertising for L&P, although also it's a beautiful DAP but really not finalized (I fear it is like C4)...

Thanls you for your help to the community John.

PS. sorry for my English...

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #1,122 of 1,351
Anyone else having delay/sync issues in USB DAC mode? Not really a problem with music, but watching videos etc is totally apparent.

Don't think it's latency related... did a DPC check and disabling a bunch of devices didn't help, and that's usually more a concern with recording rather than playback I think. This is like a 1.5 second delay upon playback.
Using ASIO didn't seem to change anything in Foobar or DAW either.

Think it has something to do with the Generic USB Audio driver in windows. AK Jr. had similar problems. JDS C5D doesn't have any issues on same usb port with its custom driver. not sure what else is at play.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,124 of 1,351

No John, with the firmware 06, the opposite is true! (+5dB approx.). A significant jump (stronger) when I pass a presset to another. With previous version 05, it's the opposite and in "normal" mode the sound is slightly lower (unless it is the dynamic?). In any case, whatever the headphones or intra I use, the overall volume will be that with a gain between high and ultra high and not less than 50 for volume ... Very surprising with all the reviews that I have read.

With the volume problem if might be worth it to check with your store(Penonaudio?) and ask for replacement, it might be defective if every headphone/IEM requires a high volume.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,125 of 1,351
  free test download here
http://www.2l.no/hires/

i'm tested DSD formats on l5pro:
Stereo 24BIT/352.8kHz FLAC - ОК
Stereo 24BIT/192kHz FLAC - ОК
Stereo 24BIT/96kHz FLAC - ОК
Stereo DSD 256 DSF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 128 DSF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 64 DSF - ОК
Stereo DSD 128 DFF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 64 DFF - FAIL
Stereo DSD 64 ISO <3 Gb - OK
Stereo DSD 64 ISO >3 Gb - FAIL

Nice list! I will pass it on to L&P to see if they can better support DSD in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back