New and Improved* Luxury & Precision L5 PRO 32bit DSD DAP with AKM AK4490, touch screen, rosewood blackplate
Jan 31, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,096 of 1,351
Will try tonight when I get home. Do you use Zen 2 with covers or bare?

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,097 of 1,351
Will try tonight when I get home. Do you use Zen 2 with covers or bare?

I use without, Sometimes donuts if I'm moving around.
Maybe just my general sound preferences, love them with my C5D.

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,099 of 1,351
is that weight measurement done with the leather case? it is lighter than the x7 or me.

Nope - no case. X7 is heavier by about 10-15g on my digital scales too (so same diff as the manufacturers state)

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #1,100 of 1,351
  Did you try it with VE Zen as well? Didn't care for that pairing myself.

Tried it when I got home.  Took me quite a while to get used to the Zen 2 again (have spent a lot of time with other IEMs and headphones - different review cycles).  Wasn't wowed at first, but once I settled in again it didn't take long for the magic to return.  I still think they excel with slow ballady acoustic type tracks.  After a while not using them, I was having a few issues with getting them to stay in a constant position so I put the doughnuts back on - nope too bassy.  Thought for a minute, and cycled through the EQ presets. The Jazz preset is like it was made for the Zen 2 (if using covers).  Still might be a bit too much bass coming through - but its really quite listenable.  let me know what you think 
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #1,101 of 1,351

Tried it when I got home.  Took me quite a while to get used to the Zen 2 again (have spent a lot of time with other IEMs and headphones - different review cycles).  Wasn't wowed at first, but once I settled in again it didn't take long for the magic to return.  I still think they excel with slow ballady acoustic type tracks.  After a while not using them, I was having a few issues with getting them to stay in a constant position so I put the doughnuts back on - nope too bassy.  Thought for a minute, and cycled through the EQ presets. The Jazz preset is like it was made for the Zen 2 (if using covers).  Still might be a bit too much bass coming through - but its really quite listenable.  let me know what you think 
smile.gif

Cool, thanks for your thoughts.. have found wearing them over-ear helps, slightly different sound though (most ennervating thing about earbuds), I'll give it another go with the jazz preset.*.. hopefully custom eq arrives soon.
beerchug.gif

(agree about acoustic stuff, though they sound pretty good with almost everything- I also really dig Zen with the "new r&b sound"  (idk what else to call it, bands like The Internet and Phony Ppl.... *also baroque/classical too, listening to some Hesperion XXI w/ zen & l5p atm)

*Ok tried for a few hrs now, Jazz is good preset choice w/ Zen.. rock also not too bad- I think it tames the lower mids, bumps up the highs a bit? Closer to the sound I get from C5D, maybe my ears are just too accustomed to that sound atm. So far L5p sounds amazing with half my cans and a little mismatched with the other half. Some prominence in lower mids & upper treble/details vs c5d - like Zen without covers, m70x are a little difficult to listen with due to their emphasis in that high range, but then 2000J are great, which is a little confounding to me.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,105 of 1,351
Hmm, I thought Penonaudio usually uses a shipping route that does not go through the custom tax.

There also a listing for L5 Pro on ebay.co.uk, maybe you can arrange something with the seller.

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,107 of 1,351
Hello everyone.
I have a small problem with the LP5 Pro that I just received. "Read error" on all DSD 128 or 256. He reads without problems DSD in 64.
Furthermore, it seems that we cannot disable the EQ. In "Normal" (in French, no "e" to the end of "Normal" in this case; if it helps ...). What is strange is that in passing from one to another presset of EQ, the volume increase significatife, very briefly, is heard. Personally, I find that the overall volume is too low (I listen with CD-3000 Sony - 32 Ohm with Ultra High gain and volume to 55). Can we expect a complete disabling EQ (bypass) and not a presset "neutral" as "normal"?
Thanks for your help for the DSD. Firmware 06.
Sincerely

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,108 of 1,351
Hi Nachtmusik, 

I don't have DSD 128/256 files at hand, but I heard they are not supported on L5 Pro.

The normal in EQ actually means bypass, I guess it is a translation/naming thing.

The specification for CD3000 is "32 ohms impedance; Sensitivity: 104 dB for 1 mV input"  I am actually surprised that it would need Ultra high gain and volume of 55 to be loud enough. 

My T5P with 32Ohms and 102dB sensitivity only need mid-gain and a volume of 34.  Strange!

John

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,109 of 1,351
Yeah, L5P gets rather loud imo.  Have you tried other headphones?

Could be some kind of volume normalization/preamp adjustment going on with preset changes, causing the brief increase in volume when switching between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back