New amp dilema for iphone 4 & sennheiser
Aug 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dimmockg

500+ Head-Fier
I wondered if anybody could assist in me choosing a new portable amplifier???

My set up:

Iphone4 (not s) - music is lossless or 320kbp's, dance, pop, etc

Sennheiser hd 25 1 ii's - stock cable

LOD - silver plated copper

I did (until last week) have the fiio e11, whilst good, I never felt it was "great" I liked more of what it did against more of what it didn't do, but always felt I could get better so the fiio has gone!!

I've read through review threads, $100 & $200 threads extensively, I've searched through other threads (here and other forums) and even pm'd users of products for advice, but I'm at a bit of a quandary of what to purchase.

My budget is $265 (absolute maximum) and would need to include shipping costs and import costs to the uk, so probably more like $200 for the amp itself. A DAC is not a specific requirement but if there is one then thats a bonus!!

I understand from reading, that the Senn's could benefit from a "warmer" sounding amp (so i've googled to try and find info on any amps which fit here), my shortlist is:

JDS LABS C421 (with the 2227 op-amp) - it seems this op-amp would suit better?
Leckerton Audio UH4
I-Basso D4 or P4 - as the op-amps can be changed to suit
Audinst AMP
Fiio e12 - not near release yet

I've also googled images then looked at amps from here, but cannot really find an awful lot of info.

I've be really grateful if anybody could advise if A) i'm on the right lines with what I have above or B) anything else which should be thrown into the mix?

much appreciated

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 3
You're definitely in the right ballpark!  I can speak from personal experience that the C421-2227 works really well between an iDevice (in my case a 4G iPod Touch with LOD) and HD25's.  I'm also very intrigued by the UHA-4.  You wouldn't be able to use the DAC portion with your iPhone, but if you had a PC you might want to use it with, it might be handy to have.  And it's supposed to fall somewhere between the AD8620 and OPA2227 versions of the C421 sonically (amp section anyway), and offers kind of the best of both.  Definitely a tough decision!

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Most reading does point to either of the 2 amps mentioned

A Dac is not essential as computer use would only be a minimum, 95% or more portable use

The search continues .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back