New album releases in 2010 - Update/discussion thread
Jul 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #182 of 202
Just bought Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal

Some none-everyday heavy on the synths but beatless electronica. Leaning more towards ambient but a bit raw at times.
What can I say.. electronica heads should have a go at this.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #183 of 202
Lots of good tracks on the Eclipse OST. Haven't seen the movie and will probably only watch it when it hits DVD. Not a fan of the books/movies, but the OSTs definitely are good. 

I suggest you all check it out. Metric, UNKLE, Battles, Dead Weather, Beck, Muse, Vampire Weekend, SIA, Vampire Weekend and many more. Pretty amazing.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #185 of 202
^ You should! It has been legal to download for about a month, and yeah it's good. Not Oversteps good but close, a little more straightforward expansion of some of the ideas.

I really like this latest batch of Autechre stuff. Then again, I really like all Autechre stuff.

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #187 of 202
yep.
4.5 stars on allmusic.
9.2/10 from pitchfork.

looks like he can make it without andre after all. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #188 of 202
Quote:
yep.
4.5 stars on allmusic.
9.2/10 from pitchfork.

looks like he can make it without andre after all. 
biggrin.gif

The Pitchfork review was very good too. It actually made sense. Is it just me or do they write rap reviews better than indie reviews?

Both members of OutKast are fantastic, so of course he can make it on his own. Look at Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. That was one of my first CDs, and I still love it to this day. I'm actually more worried for Andre's solo career. Big Boi is grounded enough that if he finds himself losing quality to bizarrity he can drift mainstream with ease. I'm afraid Andre is going to go to such extremes that it's not even going to be anything identifiable anymore, for better or worse.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #189 of 202
Quote:
Today (5/4) the newest Deftones released!

Diamond Eyes

It's pretty good, haven't had much serious time with it.

Deftones-Diamond-Eyes-cd-cover.jpg

I put it in the car and have been listening to it on repeat. If this is not the apex of Deftones sound I can't wait for the next album! I was a huge White Pony fan and the releases following that were a bit disappointing so this album is truly special for me.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #190 of 202

Quote:
Both members of OutKast are fantastic, so of course he can make it on his own. Look at Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. That was one of my first CDs, and I still love it to this day. I'm actually more worried for Andre's solo career. Big Boi is grounded enough that if he finds himself losing quality to bizarrity he can drift mainstream with ease. I'm afraid Andre is going to go to such extremes that it's not even going to be anything identifiable anymore, for better or worse.

I'm actually gonna have to kinda disagree with you. I found Speakerboxxx to be much, much better than The Love Below. Sure, TLB had a few amazing songs, but a good majority of it was crap. That's not to say that SB is without filler. It certainly could have been cut down to about 45 minutes and been a better album, but that can be applied to about 90% of rap albums.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #191 of 202
Quote:
I'm actually gonna have to kinda disagree with you. I found Speakerboxxx to be much, much better than The Love Below. Sure, TLB had a few amazing songs, but a good majority of it was crap. That's not to say that SB is without filler. It certainly could have been cut down to about 45 minutes and been a better album, but that can be applied to about 90% of rap albums.

I like Speakerboxxx more, too. I never said which I liked more, and thought I would have implied that I liked Speakerboxxx more because I used it as an indication that he can do fine solo whereas Andre's potential was unclear. Not sure what you're arguing against, we're on the same page 
smile.gif

Anyway, it's all talk until I listen to the new album.

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #194 of 202
enjoying the last decent brit pop band Kula Shaker, Pilgrims Progress
The opening track seems the perfect radio hit, the album is well recorded too

PP R.I.P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back