New album releases in 2010 - Update/discussion thread
Jan 31, 2010 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 202

adiZero

100+ Head-Fier
I have been missing a really good thread for album releases in 2010. A place were members can write som words regarding new releases during the year.

So far I have bought the following new releases in 2010

Vampire Weekend - Contra: Enough said about this album, really really good.
vampire-weekend-contra-$7051031$300.jpg

Lindstrøm & Christabelle - Real Life Is No Cool: Superb, smooth electronica from a norwegian genius.
real-life-is-no-cool.jpg

Laura Veirs - July Flame: Nice folk/singer songwriter album.
laura-veirs-july-flame-LST069022.jpg

Four Tet - There Is Love In You: I'll have to listen more to this before coming with any comments.
four_tetthere_is_love_in_you_cd.jpg

Looking forward to buying the new Yeasayer album on vinyl. Already listened to this a couple of times and yes, they manage to follow up their debut album from 2008.
Yeasayer_-_Odd_Blood.jpg

So, have I missed something? Of course I have
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 202
Hey I like this thread idea a lot, we can all post reviews on the new albums we get through out this year. I haven't got anything new that came out this year yet but I will report back when I do.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I like this thread idea a lot, we can all post reviews on the new albums we get through out this year. I haven't got anything new that came out this year yet but I will report back when I do.

Cool
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Four Tet - There Is Love In You: I'll have to listen more to this before coming with any comments.
four_tetthere_is_love_in_you_cd.jpg

i've liked past four tet albums. more on this would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 202
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM

Not as good as her father, but with help from Beck I think this is decent pop music.

charlotte+gainsbourg+irm.jpg

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 202
Thanks for this, I just bought the new Four Tet album.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 202
I've been impressed with the new albums from Vampire Weekend, Spoon and Los Campesinos. This year is definitely starting off in the right way.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 202
There have been a few good albums so far this year, but Vampire Weekend hasn't been one of them for me. I thought their last album was overrated and this one is worse to my ears. Oh well.

I am really enjoying the new spoon, Transference, although it took some getting used to. Charlotte gainsbourg is very good as well. I need to pick up four tet.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've liked past four tet albums. more on this would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just go out and buy it then. You can listen to it on lala btw. It's definitely his cleanest sounded album; by no means minimal, but like minimal every idea is stretched to maximum with deceptive rewards. Love Cry is one track that really stands out. It's one of those propulsive minor key numbers in the microsound tradition, but still kind of exists in its own space like other Four Tet stuff.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 202
Midlake- "Courage of Others" Great album. Beautiful, moving, and uhhh pensive I guess. It's definitely not a "yippiee" type of album.

midlake.jpg

edit: original image was WAYYY too big

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 202
Stuff I liked so far:

2609920.jpg

The Road - OST

Excellent music score, especially if you liked the movie. Listening to it by itself really shows how much it added to the atmosphere and feel. 4/5

2638746.jpg

In Mourning - Monolith

Decent follow up to a better album. More complex and technical than their first, but less involving and memorable. 3.5/5

2027208.jpg

In Vain - Mantra

Very solid if a bit inconsistent in certain bits. 3.5/5

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xuster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Midlake- "Courage of Others" Great album. Beautiful, moving, and uhhh pensive I guess. It's definitely not a "yippiee" type of album.

midlake.jpg

edit: original image was WAYYY too big

Ordered this on Vinyl yesterday, looking forward to hearing it. Loved Van Occupanther.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #15 of 202
It's early, but "After" by Ihsahn is album of the year material.

o2418223.jpg

This is his most progressive/technical solo effort yet, and all the songs are stuck in my head. From the manic intro of "A Grave Inversed" to the chorus of "Frozen Lakes on Mars", not one dud to be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back