"new" AKG K 451.. Have anyone tried em out?
Aug 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Arvan

500+ Head-Fier
I am still not pleased with my portable setup..I got the sony zx700 and i like them alot, but not for use on the move..It does not bother me that they are rather big and does not fold..My problem is that i don´t want to bring a portable amp every time i want portable audio. 

I got my eyes on the "new" AKG k451 and they look good. I have previously owned the K420 and the k404. The 420 sounds good for portable use but is open, 404 is closed and sounds like crap...

What i have read i understand that the quality of the cable on the k430/450/q460 is rubbish...Is that one of the things thay fixed on the 451?

Do i look elsewhere like the px 200-II?

Inputs are much appreciated!

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 16
I have got the k480s that are the 450s with noise cancelling , i don't use the noise cancelling it's just an extra cable that has a battery compartment that just turns the volume up a notch it's not bose and doesn't really work..they sound a bit like grados with a good bass and the 451s are supposed to be even better..i would recommend them if you like your bass..they are not bass heavy the balance is just right and the separation of instruments and voice is spot on aswell that's the 480s,heres the 451's.www.whathifi.com/review/akg-k451

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 16
Heres a dap to go with them..the price has come right down!

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 16
I'd also be interested to know what they're like. I've got a pair of Beats Solo HDs which I don't get on with. Would these 451's be better, for half the cost of the Beats?

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
I'd also be interested to know what they're like. I've got a pair of Beats Solo HDs which I don't get on with. Would these 451's be better, for half the cost of the Beats?

I have never heard the beats so i couldn't tell you sorry! but if you are going to get a rocoo p go with the akg k451!

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 16

Man, AKG K451 are definitelly better headphones than Beats Solo HD, I've tried both of them actually, and decided to buy AKG. Even if they're not burned in yet they sound a lot better than Solo HD. To be honest, akg are a bit muddy, but that's nothing in comparison with Solo HD, believe me.
Solo HD which I was trying were already burned in, and the sound was horrible in my opinion.
Mine crispy new Akg are a bit muddy, but as I said, they're not burned yet, I'm expecting the trebles will be more opened later.
The only problem is my head, haha. I have a bit bigger head, and they're not so comfortable than Marshall Major which I own. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Anybody here have any first-hand experience on both the K450 and K451?  Can't find anyone who can attest if these have any difference sonically?... I've read and know that they both have the same driver and specs on paper but since the latter is an update of the former, different tuning might be in place.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 16
Hi,

I don't know if you bought the k451 yet, but beleive me, such a disappointment.
 Great reaview, and I cannot complete one song hearing with them!!!
 the just lay on my closet and the money is gone... 
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 16
  Hi,

I don't know if you bought the k451 yet, but beleive me, such a disappointment.
 Great reaview, and I cannot complete one song hearing with them!!!
 the just lay on my closet and the money is gone... 
mad.gif

I'm very surprised. I just opened this thread to add my positive input about the 451s.

Although I am not the owner of any of the best headphones out there, I do find the odd little gem. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros are my largest headphones, but more often I tend to use canal-phones for their superior isolation and performance. I wanted some on-ear headphones and after a lot of reading, went for the 451s. I am not disappointed at all. With no burn-in at all, they have sounded solid across al frequencies and even doing well with some extreme bass CDs from my car hifh SPL days.

On ear pressure is firm, but the pads are comfortable enough for a few hours. They do leak sound, so will not make you friends if listening at loud volumes on a train of airplane, yet, so far seem reasonably good at keeping background noise out

The supplied case is neat and the headphones fold down nicely.

As with any new headphones, there is always a period of hearing new things (I find different headphones suit different music) and loving your favourite music again.

I'm in the honeymoon period with these phones, and have no regrets at all.

Unless there are fakes on the market, I really can't see why some people don't like these 451s.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 16
I had the K450 and I hated it to the core. The bass was overwhelming and the rest of the frequencies were muffled
I know mine was genuine as I had all the paperwork with it. I ended up selling it for pretty cheap

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 16
I tested the K450 at a store with my iPod 4G and I thought it sounded Tinny. I liked the K518LE better.
Genre tested EDM and Metal(Lamb of God).

Will try and test again though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back