NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jan 7, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2,701 of 2,884
  Quick question David and I know this opens up a can of worms.  I can't really see much choice for leads in the 3m size I want so I've basically narrowed it down to these two choices.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KPPR12/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-Code-for-Sennheiser-HD700-HD-700-Headphone-/261942471192?var=&hash=item3cfcfcea18:m:mLUQyrNk8eGjx0jnT8e2lag

As you can see there's a difference in how good they both look but there's also a price difference.  Is the second choice going to give me better sound quality or are we just going on looks here?  I obviously don't want to spend an extra £19 for the same end result.

Thanks

Sound quality wise, I doubt there would be any perceivable difference, as the amazon one is an official one sold directly by sennheiser.  My concerns though:
- The amazon one has a fairly chunky 2.5mm plug housing (the plastic bit before the metal plug).  This may not fit well into the recessed slot of the HE400s.  The ebay cable has a thinner housing which should be better, although you could probably shave off the plastic on the amazon one to fit.
- The amazon 3.5mm plug is stainless steel, which MAY corrode faster than the gold alloy on the ebay cable, especially if you are not using them daily.  Generally better cables use gold alloys on all connectors
- The amazon cable is a really basic black cable.  The ebay one...man that looks nice!

If the 19 quid isn't a huge stretch, I'd say go for the ebay one, it'll just put a smile on your face whenever you see them! (and likely will sound better to you, as the placebo effect is very real). That and it's most likely more compatible with the HE400s.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #2,702 of 2,884
Hi Riceman

Yeah, the Sennheiser cable just looks really naff compared to the other, hmmm, one hand sound is what matters and save, other hand the others cable does look the part.  Talking of looking the part check this one out then.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-5mm-3-5mm-Replacement-Hi-OFC-Headphone-Earphone-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD700-/262026502950?var=&hash=item3d01ff2326:m:m_tm5vEMdmShvVVh5V6rL3Q

Decisions!!!  You have answered what I was wondering though so it is probably just down to looks.

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,703 of 2,884
On another note I did the grill mod as mentioned a few days ago using a mesh bin from Morrisons and I did two versions, one bare and one with fabric for dust protection.  I wasn't convinced about the sound factor beforehand but love the new look they've given the headphones.  Last night I ended up with a free night so settled in to a night of reading, drinking and listening to my phones on my Little Dot 1+.  I will say I didn't use the extension lead I've been using up to now as I have realised that it did effect the sound (apart from reversing the channels I discovered the sound wasn't quite as deep) and I opted for the grill with no dust protection.  I sat from 9:00 until 1:30 when I begrudgingly went to bed.  Wow!!  

Although without the extension will have helped, I have to hand it to the grill mod everything has opened up.  I don't think it's something you can immediately tell by listening to a song and taking them on and off I think it makes itself apparent over time.  Everything sounds more layered, it is a more 3D sound.  I listened to an album that I've listened to many, many times (Level 42 - The Early Tapes) and found myself getting excited by it, a couple of times I was unaware that my feet were tapping away and I'm bobbing my head.  Although I've been listening to that album for about 25 years it was almost like it was a fresh discovery.  Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise sounds lovely, as he's singing there's these little taps in the foreground which as I'm listening sound like bubbles moving around (try the track and you'll see what I mean).  

I've been enjoying these headphones up to now but wow, I fell in love with them last night.  I'm also sticking with the bare grill.  If you blow through the dust protector grill you can barely feel your breath on the other side (I am using that thin see through fabric that I've heard mentioned on here but can't remember the name) also with those on I moved my hands across the sides of my phones (a few inches away) and could barely hear any tone difference, same test with the bare grills and moving my hands across altered the sound.  I THINK my dust protector mod does sound better than the stock grills due to bigger holes but obviously there is still enough barrier to stop the air flow.  Also I really can't see dust being a problem, how much dust must be in there to make them stop working?  I'd have thought a clean environment and a bit of a blow now and again to clear anything should be fine.

Anyway that's my penny worth.  Cheers.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,704 of 2,884
Well, in preparing to install the Focuspad A earpads on the 400S, I figured out why I had such trouble getting a good fit initially: the left earpad was rotated 90 degrees. Nice QC job, there, HiFiMan.

I tried the Focuspad As briefly but put the stock pads back on (this time pointing the right direction) pretty quickly. After about an hour the Focuspad As got uncomfortably warm, whereas I was able to wear the stock pads for 3-4 hours without any problem. The Focuspad As also compromised pretty substantially on the airiness of the soundstage; since I listen almost entirely to classical music, that was a problem.  I may revisit the pads after I finish the burn-in but my first inclination is to stick with the stock pads. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #2,705 of 2,884
I had the same experience. I bought my pair of 400s used and they came with the stock velour pads and the Focus Pad A. I have tried the focus pads several times, and always go back the the stock pads. The Focus pads take away the details and soundstage, and muddy the lower frequencies. I listen primarily to jazz.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,707 of 2,884
Yes I have (with a Fiio Mont Blanc) but the exercise achieved nix.  IMHO if your MP3 player has enough output to drive the phones then there is no point in having extra junk to carry around and control.  Unless there are really odd compatibility issues (highly unlikely) or not enough volume, an amplifier is a waste of time. money and space.  Generally there is absolutely no way it can improve audio quality.  Indeed the best amplifiers religiously output what goes in without any change.  Its aim is to amplify the signal, not alter it.

Just my 2C rant

John

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,708 of 2,884
I agree that the HE-400S are fantastic and definitely a steal for the money they cost but... $2500 is a bit of a stretch, let's be honest. Opinions are all good and all but still, with headphones like the Ether Flow, Elear, even the HE-1000 nowadays retailing for less than 2.5k you really should not have an issue finding an upgrade for the 400S if your budget reaches that far.
I seriously listened to the 400S side by side w/ the HE1000 and Audezes and a couple other phones priced above $2k. You can get sturdier construction but you can't get better sound with more money. I stand strongly by that statement. I doubt Tyll disagrees with me either!!!

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #2,709 of 2,884
........... but you can't get better sound with more money. 

You can get better sound BUT that sheets back to the AQ of the input.  At aged 81 my hearing is not as acute as most of you here, but I definitely can detect better AQ from the Sennheiser HS800S headphones than from the Hi-Fi 400S units.

Please note that I'm not trying to criticise the 400S headphones.  For their price they are a bargain, but like most things audio, it costs a lot more for improvement and the AQ is not 2X as good for 2X the price.

Bottom line is that anyone can listen to far better AQ via headphones at a fraction of the price than via amps and speakers.  But in all cases of audio, the GIGO syndrome applies so differences might not be detected if the input is not of superb quality.

So basically thomez is correct.  Unless you have pristine input, chasing after headphones other than the 400S is a waste of time and money.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,710 of 2,884
I seriously listened to the 400S side by side w/ the HE1000 and Audezes and a couple other phones priced above $2k. You can get sturdier construction but you can't get better sound with more money. I stand strongly by that statement. I doubt Tyll disagrees with me either!!!

Better sound only according to you since we all hear differently and your preferences are yours alone, not mine and might not even be what most others consider better sound.  There are some that agree with Tyll and there are those that don't agree with Tyll.  For me I'm in agreement with his taste about 25% of the time.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,713 of 2,884
I own the HD 650s. I am looking for a pair that sounds as lush as the 650s.
I want to consider these , but I read horror stories about the cables cutting out after some use. 
Should I really get these? also, do they sound as lush and detailed as the 650s? how would you compare the soundstage?

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2,714 of 2,884
Not sure how to answer your question as none of the headphones here (598, 650, 800, 800S, 400S) sound "lush".  Reaction to AQ is just so subjective there is no clear choice what any particular person should have.

My personal preference is to use the 800S for serious classical music listening but for portable, casual use, all the cans here are fine.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #2,715 of 2,884
  Not sure how to answer your question as none of the headphones here (598, 650, 800, 800S, 400S) sound "lush".  Reaction to AQ is just so subjective there is no clear choice what any particular person should have.

My personal preference is to use the 800S for serious classical music listening but for portable, casual use, all the cans here are fine.

Maybe your definition of lush is different than mine. I consider my HD 650s and the DT 150s pretty lush sounding. What about my other questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back