NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Oct 28, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,615 of 2,884
no but from different reviews I think meze are better

It is generally considered to be bad form on Head-fi to be parroting what you have read.  It is better if you have actually owned or spent substantial time with the product.

Let us know what you "think" after you have bought or at least tried them.

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #2,616 of 2,884
  Did anyone in this thread, pair any of AudioQuest Dragonfly products to their phones with their Hifiman 400S ???

Interesting that you think they sound congested and/or worse than the 598s. Mine are just fine out of my Galaxy S7, of course they considerably improve out of both my QP1R and AK70, even more so through my considerably more expensive home setup but the difference isn't actually that big with the 400S so I wonder if your ears just don't like their sound signature (unlikely, they are quite inoffensive/natural and pleasant imo) or if you potentially have a defective pair or something.

Not tried AQ products with them though, only AQ device I personally like enough to own are the NightHawks.

As far as this whole Meze vs 400S debate goes, some times all you have to go by is reviewer's write ups but if come here and ask if someone has an opinion on it don't proceed to suggest them to someone else when you've not even heard either of them - they're both inexpensive entry level headphones, both widely liked. Do you want to try planars? Go with HE-400S. Do you want/need closed backs? Go with the Meze. Want to just go with "from reviews you think Meze are better"? Do so.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,617 of 2,884

Interesting that you think they sound congested and/or worse than the 598s. Mine are just fine out of my Galaxy S7, of course they considerably improve out of both my QP1R and AK70, even more so through my considerably more expensive home setup but the difference isn't actually that big with the 400S so I wonder if your ears just don't like their sound signature (unlikely, they are quite inoffensive/natural and pleasant imo) or if you potentially have a defective pair or something.

Not tried AQ products with them though, only AQ device I personally like enough to own are the NightHawks.

As far as this whole Meze vs 400S debate goes, some times all you have to go by is reviewer's write ups but if come here and ask if someone has an opinion on it don't proceed to suggest them to someone else when you've not even heard either of them - they're both inexpensive entry level headphones, both widely liked. Do you want to try planars? Go with HE-400S. Do you want/need closed backs? Go with the Meze. Want to just go with "from reviews you think Meze are better"? Do so.

thank you for making me doubting my self
i retried hearing music from my s7 edge (from google play music) unlike bubble upnp (the first time), and the sound is super great !!!
although that definitely wasn't the case on my fiio x3 1st gen !!!!
for some weird reason the samsung phone sound is clearer than the Fiio !!!
the only problem is that i have to max the volume, or a notch below max.

Thank you very much Sir, I'm very happy now, finally i can enjoy my headphones with no extra accessories.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,618 of 2,884

thank you for making me doubting my self
i retried hearing music from my s7 edge (from google play music) unlike bubble upnp (the first time), and the sound is super great !!!
although that definitely wasn't the case on my fiio x3 1st gen !!!!
for some weird reason the samsung phone sound is clearer than the Fiio !!!
the only problem is that i have to max the volume, or a notch below max.

Thank you very much Sir, I'm very happy now, finally i can enjoy my headphones with no extra accessories.

While I don't have the HE-400S, I have the HE-400i and its pretty good with my Fiio X3, high gain and volume at 82-90 for my listening level of about 78-84db.  As @Vigrith noted the 400S is easy to drive and quite a bit better than a HD-598 to me also.  Might want to try some contact cleaner like deoxit on the 3.5mm jack before plugging it in to the X3 if they sound good with your s7.

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #2,619 of 2,884
  While I don't have the HE-400S, I have the HE-400i and its pretty good with my Fiio X3, high gain and volume at 82-90 for my listening level of about 78-84db.  As @Vigrith noted the 400S is easy to drive and quite a bit better than a HD-598 to me also.  Might want to try some contact cleaner like deoxit on the 3.5mm jack before plugging it in to the X3 if they sound good with your s7.

i tried everthing
and i reached a conclusion that the Fiio X3 1st gen DAP is loud enough (even in low gain) but the sound quality is horrible compared to my S7 (if you're using the 400S), but if you're using the HD598 it is the other way around !!!
best match by far (exynos s7 + 400S) i don't know anything about the snapdragon variant, but i think it will sound the same, which is great.

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,620 of 2,884
Does he400s and he500 have the same sound signature? Would they sound similar to each other or they are totally 2 different headphone? I have listened to he500 and I am totally in love with its mid and bass. I find it too pricey though.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,621 of 2,884
Does he400s and he500 have the same sound signature? Would they sound similar to each other or they are totally 2 different headphone? I have listened to he500 and I am totally in love with its mid and bass. I find it too pricey though.

HE400s has a more fun sound signature, and slightly warmer in the bass, much more efficient. In terms of sound signature, it's more inline with the HEK and HEX, than the HE6 and HE500. Bass is nice but not as extended as the more expensive models, like the 400i. HE500 is more "hifi" sounding, but just like the HE560, it needs powerful amp to shine. The 400i mid and bass are better than the 400s. Mid has a better clarity and more separated. But overall the 400s sound more natural, less hard left-right, more centered, and the treble is less peaky. The 500 is a nice neutral and transparent headphone, but I like the 560 more. If u r on a tight budget, the 400s is a superb buy, one of the best bargain. It has such a nice tonality, even I have much more expensive headphones like the HD800, T1 and HEK, putting on the 400s makes a smile on my face.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,622 of 2,884
I have 400s for a year now. couple days ago the headphone started to sound lower on one side than the other side.

Switched left and right cables but nothing changed. it could be the headphone itself
frown.gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,623 of 2,884
Hi
Did anyone pair these headphones with a Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC ?
I heard it sounds very close to the Chord Mojo, yet it's way more portable, and it only cost 80$ on amazon and it works on every OS with no drivers
+ there is a MicroUSB version(which is better suited for android phones) & a USB Type C version too.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #2,624 of 2,884
  Hi
Did anyone pair these headphones with a Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC ?
I heard it sounds very close to the Chord Mojo, yet it's way more portable, and it only cost 80$ on amazon and it works on every OS with no drivers
+ there is a MicroUSB version(which is better suited for android phones) & a USB Type C version too.

I have hifime 9018d and i don't recommend it. too much distortion.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,625 of 2,884

I have hifime 9018d and i don't recommend it. too much distortion.

the D version is different, it should be paired with high impedance headphones, unlike this one

checkout these reviews, here in this website

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifime-sabre-9018-usb-dac/reviews/16975
http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifime-sabre-9018-usb-dac/reviews/16195

I'm really sorry for your headphone, did use it outdoors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back