NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Sep 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,567 of 2,884
These vs hd598?

Here is a thread from a couple years ago discussing this subject, with some of my definitely non-authoritative ramblings toward the end:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/776885/sennheiser-hd-598-vs-hifiman-he-400s  

A couple years down the line from that thread I would do the comparison of the 598's being a really good, but not truly finished wooden sculpture. The 400-S's would be that same sculpture after it was finished off with some very fine-grained sandpaper.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,568 of 2,884
After having used the stock pads and the focus-A pads for a while, I prefer the stock pads. The Focus-A pads are just too warm sounding for me. The sound is more open with the stock pads, with more air/clarity and there's still enough bass.
I gotta say tohugh, the clarity in these headphones is really a level above the other headphones in this price range. The sound still does have some problems though, like the seperation of instruments isn't so great, and overall the sound isn't overly engaging/exciting imo.

I have now in posession the HE400S and DT880, and before that I used the HD650 and have also tried the HD600 and K712, and it's really hard to pinpoint a favorite headphone in this price class.. They all have their strengths but also their drawbacks, like the HE400S and HD600 probably have the most balanced overall sound (the least fatiguing) but don't sound the most exciting, while the Beyer and AKG's have maybe a more fun sound but at the cost of a bit too much highs..

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,570 of 2,884
Hi guys
smily_headphones1.gif
since there is the hifiman 1000 in V2, do you think they will release the 400s V2? What would you like to be changed?
biggrin.gif

Stock pads (should've come with focus pads / focus pads A)

The silverish color on the headphone should just be black or something

biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,572 of 2,884
I finally installed the Brainwavz HM5 pads. Boy, that was a strech, literally. It looked impossible to stretch the pads over the donor Hifiman plastic rings. Looked like an extra inch of ring. Installation required quite a bit of faith. For inexplicable reasons, they did mount. 

The pads are thick but very pliable. They give the HE-400S a premium aggressive look. Right off the bat, the deeper and fuller bass slam impressed. It's a very noticeable effect. Despite it being thicker, the pads were very comfortable.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #2,573 of 2,884
I tried the HM5 angled pads too for a bit, but some definition in the sound seemed gone (was also the case with the regular leather pads so probably it's a leather thing), I felt with the velours pads you get much more detail in the music. Maybe I should try them again but I didn't much like them when I tried them briefly.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2,575 of 2,884
I have both focus pads A & brainwavz angled pleather

For my personal taste, i prefer the brainwavz. Nothing to do with sound quality, just dislike my ears touching the drivers.

Guess that's why we like this hobby, we all have our own taste & preferences
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,577 of 2,884
Same with me. At the moment I like how the HE-400S with grill mod sounds with the HM5. There is bass improvement and nothing offensive elsewhere. This means that any changes with the mids and upper bands are negligible to me. There might be differences if I do an A/B comparison. But like I said, nothing warrants an A/B.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #2,578 of 2,884
  Same with me. At the moment I like how the HE-400S with grill mod sounds with the HM5. There is bass improvement and nothing offensive elsewhere. This means that any changes with the mids and upper bands are negligible to me. There might be differences if I do an A/B comparison. But like I said, nothing warrants an A/B.

Glad to see you tried the Brainwavz pads, Gino. With the stock pads, and to a lesser extent the Focus Pads A, I always felt I needed to adjust the position of the 400S while listening. They didn't feel bad, just not quite the 'right' fit for me.

I put on the Brainwavz angled pads and have had no urge to change for months. Comfort and IMO a very nice bump up in bass. Where I found myself fiddling with their position while listening with the other pads, I don't do so with the HM5 pads. Grill mod on mine as well.

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #2,579 of 2,884
Hi, i bought a pair of he400s recently and after burn-in i am very impressed, they sound best (imo) through a hybrid headphone amplifier (x-cans v3 heavily modded by pink floyd in scotland and with pinkie psu) and with a vinyl front-end they approach (for me) nirvana giving me that cross between stax and hd650 that i was looking for - the soundstage is amazing - best of any of my headphones , electrostatic/planar or dynamic and with sufficient bass for the kind of music i listen to (mostly vocal jazz from all eras)

i am amazed at the clarity and definition - the nuance of vocals really comes out well.

The headphone amp gives that little addition of body and tubes to the sound which to me makes them so good.

Overall a veritable bargain.

d

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,580 of 2,884
  Hi, i bought a pair of he400s recently and after burn-in i am very impressed, they sound best (imo) through a hybrid headphone amplifier (x-cans v3 heavily modded by pink floyd in scotland and with pinkie psu) and with a vinyl front-end they approach (for me) nirvana giving me that cross between stax and hd650 that i was looking for - the soundstage is amazing - best of any of my headphones , electrostatic/planar or dynamic and with sufficient bass for the kind of music i listen to (mostly vocal jazz from all eras)

i am amazed at the clarity and definition - the nuance of vocals really comes out well.

The headphone amp gives that little addition of body and tubes to the sound which to me makes them so good.

Overall a veritable bargain.

d

Your description of the HE-400S as being a cross between a Stax and HD650 made me very curious, its a sound signature that is interesting but at the same time an oxymoron.  The HD650 are warn and full while most Stax are crystal clear but a little thin.  I currently have 2 Stax headphones (opposite ends of the spectrum in SR-009 and SRD-34) and a few other headphones but your description has made me think about trying the HE-400S out.  A friend who has them told me not to bother since I have the HE-400i/560 which he says is what a better 400S would be but to me they are not like my SR-009 or SRD-34 at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back