NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Dec 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,861 of 2,884
  Oh darn, I should have been more clear..........Sound wise how do they compare.

And thanks for the physical comparo.

cheers

As I said above. "I won't suggest they sound any better."

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,862 of 2,884

As I said above. "I won't suggest they sound any better."

Oh, that is good.  At least they do not sound worse 
biggrin.gif

I think I am holding out for a version with the 1/4 inch plug, I despise adapters

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,863 of 2,884
  Oh, that is good.  At least they do not sound worse 
biggrin.gif

I think I am holding out for a version with the 1/4 inch plug, I despise adapters

The adapter screws on. Once in place you don't even know there is a 3.5.underneath. But to each his own.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #1,864 of 2,884
I didn't care for the stiffness of the stock HifiMan cable so I bought an el-cheapo E-Bay replacement cable. It appears fairly well made but does not, IMO, sound as good as the cable supplied with the 400S. Not a bad cable, just a bit rolled off and not as loud at at the same volume setting of my iPod. I'm doing the grill mod this weekend and then on to some pads (Focus or Brainwavz?)

It is a more flexible cable, but the stock cable (silver over copper) sounds quite a bit better with more detail. 

Oh well, it was only $30 and that's not too bad an entry cost for a peak down the (el-cheapo) cable rabbit hole! So much for my 'wire is wire' feelings on cables..........

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,865 of 2,884
1. Since they are 20ohm does that means they will sound great without an amp? Cause I am not able to afford an amp right now and I wanna see if I can enjoy lets say 90% of their potential without an amp for the next 4-5 months.
2. Is the bass good? I dont need beats audio super loud bass just not as low as I hear is on the SE 598
3. I have narrowed down to 400S and AKG K712. Any thoughts?

Thank you

P.S. From the epic money4me247 review in here I have read they will work really nice without an amp. Just want more opinions.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,866 of 2,884
Quote:
  ...then on to some pads (Focus or Brainwavz?)

I'm using the brainwavz angled and they're very nice once they get installed but stretching them out to the rings and not outright breaking the rings was a huge pain. I stripped the rings from the default velours, don't know if that affected their ability to properly hold their shape. That said, once it's over it's worth it.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,867 of 2,884
  1. Since they are 20ohm does that means they will sound great without an amp? Cause I am not able to afford an amp right now and I wanna see if I can enjoy lets say 90% of their potential without an amp for the next 4-5 months.
2. Is the bass good? I dont need beats audio super loud bass just not as low as I hear is on the SE 598
3. I have narrowed down to 400S and AKG K712. Any thoughts?

Thank you

P.S. From the epic money4me247 review in here I have read they will work really nice without an amp. Just want more opinions.

1) It works well without an amp. I've tried few combinations and weridly it has a better soundstage without the amp.

2) 400S's Mid-Bass is great but it has a Sub-Bass problem. It doesn't extend much. Some people are finding it bad but I think it is more natural. (If you like natural)

3) 400S is a natural sounding headphone and 712 is a fun sounding headphone with a harsh treble. So if you like natural I would say 400S and if you like fun and you don't mind the treble I would say 712.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #1,868 of 2,884
  1) It works well without an amp. I've tried few combinations and weridly it has a better soundstage without the amp.

2) 400S's Mid-Bass is great but it has a Sub-Bass problem. It doesn't extend much. Some people are finding it bad but I think it is more natural. (If you like natural)

3) 400S is a natural sounding headphone and 712 is a fun sounding headphone with a harsh treble. So if you like natural I would say 400S and if you like fun and you don't mind the treble I would say 712.

You can fix the sub bass extension by using Focus pads :wink: It ends up imposing a dark sound though.

I personally use them unampped.

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #1,870 of 2,884

Quick Question: I see both the Focus and Focus A pads for sale. Which is recommended? Thanks! 

That's a question of preference :p  both will get you more extension in the bass (the lack of pleather walls are actually thought to be the culprit on the 400S).  I can tell you this, this is from memory though (I may have them mixed up, I don't think I do though):
  1. Focus A: Extends the bass of the 400S.  It is darker in nature creating a smoother, but darker signature in the 400S.
  2. Focus: Extends the bass of the 400S.  It is brighter in contrast to the Focus A.  

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,873 of 2,884
Hi all,

I'm expecting my 400S to arrive this week. I plan on listening to it without mods for several days to get a feel for it (with the exception of using balanced cables instead of the stock cable), but I was wondering about the grill mod, should I decide to do it.

I noticed the original instructions from HiFiMan on doing the grill mod said to take the original grills and pull off the dust cover. Does switching to a different type of grill improve the sound beyond this? Or is it simply a good idea in the long run not to rip off the fabric from the original grills? Has anyone tried doing what HiFiMan recommended instead of switching to an entirely different mesh?

Either way I'm very excited to try out these headphones. I just got the X2 from Amazon and I'm completely smitten with it, but it's only single-ended, and I have both a Pono and a Geek Out V2, both of which do balanced output, and so that's where I'll primarily be using the 400S.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,874 of 2,884
I only pulled off the dust cover and am happy with that. I'm skeptical in general but I thought this had a nice impact on mids, treble and soundstage. I listened to the headphones without any grill at all I heard no additional difference.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #1,875 of 2,884
Hi all,

I'm expecting my 400S to arrive this week. I plan on listening to it without mods for several days to get a feel for it (with the exception of using balanced cables instead of the stock cable), but I was wondering about the grill mod, should I decide to do it.

I noticed the original instructions from HiFiMan on doing the grill mod said to take the original grills and pull off the dust cover. Does switching to a different type of grill improve the sound beyond this? Or is it simply a good idea in the long run not to rip off the fabric from the original grills? Has anyone tried doing what HiFiMan recommended instead of switching to an entirely different mesh?

Either way I'm very excited to try out these headphones. I just got the X2 from Amazon and I'm completely smitten with it, but it's only single-ended, and I have both a Pono and a Geek Out V2, both of which do balanced output, and so that's where I'll primarily be using the 400S.
which Cable are you going to use? Mine arrived on Monday and I've slept so little since then.. And it's awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back