NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,786 of 2,884
  I like to fall asleep wearing  me he400s and seem to have sheared through the cable somehow. Anyone know where I can find a affordable pair of replacement cables? The ones on the HiFiMan site are nearly 1/3 the price of the cans new. 

Contact Hifiman Support (customerservice@hifiman.com) and let them know your situation. Usually, they will be more than happy to supply you with a replacement if you're under warranty. Only downside if you have to send your broken one in first as proof, so it can be a procress that takes a couple weeks.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #1,787 of 2,884
Quote:
  All points come to one conclusion in my mind then, to keep the K7XX and do a full on upgrade! It's not completely necessary to have 2 cans, but it would be nice. I guess then the K7XX can become the 2nd pair for dossing about with around the house (and for games), and the true upgrades for the main listening.

Cheers guys!

I currently have both the K7XX and the HE-400S. I actually got the K7XX the same time as the HE-400S.
Longs story short, got the original HE-400 (still my favorite, sounds the most "planar"), but due to comfort and their weight/fit, I sold them for the HE-400i. Personally, I didn't like those, they were VERY mid-based. Not quite as dark sounding as the HE-400 was for me.
Sold the HE-400i, and was able to get both the HE-400S and the K7XX with the money.\

I agree with previous comments, that they complement each other nicely, but I must say that the HE-400S IS noticeably better. They just sound like planar headphones, dynamic drivers in this range cannot match that sound quality imho. I sent in my HE-400S for repair (bent the headband, my bad) so the K7XX have been my mains for about a month now, but I must say, I hardly listened to them when I had my HE-400S, and they'll probably sit on my shelf again once I get my HE-400S's back this week.

K7XX is very thin sounding, very neutral-like sound. It has a decent amount of mids and a deep bass response (though there isn't much to it). I haven't done the port mod on mine though, I'd love if you could give me some info about that process, or a link, or something.

The HE-400S is more-so like others described, much more texture, and so smooth in nearly all frequencies. focused on low-mid sound, but it doesn't sound like a dark headphone. Slightly smaller soundstagethan the K7XX, but larger than the HE-400i had. The HE-400S is also the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, even more comfortable than the K7XX's Suspension system to me. Much lighter than nearly all other planars on the market.

If you like treble, soundstage, and want very decent bass, I would also consider the original HE-400. I know this may not be a popular opinion, as the HE-400S is more balanced, but the HE-400 was so much more fun to listen to. It had slightly recessed mids, but a really great V-curve. They are dark, but sound bright at the same time. They were the most "Planar" sounding headphones I've ever heard. Biggest problem is their headband (sorta flimsy) and their weight and comfort.
The HE-400S is more tamed in terms of balance, so if that is your preference, I think you'd love them.

If you feel you want to upgrade yo a higher tier, just let me assure you that you'd have to jump to the HE-560 range of pricing, as I find the HE-400S and HE-400i are nearly identical in performance. While the HE-400i did have superior drivers, its sound signature just ruined it for me. The HE-400i is more similar to a very dark HD650 in my eyes. Even though it was technically superior, the signature just didn't sound right, the HE-400S is much better, and their sound quality is nearly inconceivable from the $200 more expensive HE-400i.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,788 of 2,884

I personally really enjoy the 'planar presentation' so I would pick a planar magnetic mid-tier if playing in that budget range. One of my friends actually picked the Ether followed by the HE-400S out of my entire headphone collection as her favorites (with direct comparisons and I did not disclose any info on any of my headphones). She could tell the improvement in soundstage of the open models over my closed collection of the Prime, PM-3, and K553. The K7xx and HE-560 was too bright for her tastes. She thought the HE1k was too bling and the LCD-X too heavy. So I do think at the end of the day, it is a bit of a matter of taste as well.

Compared to the HE-400, HE-400S, and HE-400i, how would you describe the HE-560 in all aspects? Do you think it is a massive improvement over the latter planars? Is there another headphone in its tier you would recommend (maybe the EL-8? or is the 560 superior to that too?) I am looking for a more lively and simutaneously dark sounding headohone like the HE-400 was. What's your opinion on these? Worth the upgrade over the mid-end Hifimans?

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,789 of 2,884
Hey people,

I'm looking to get an upgrade from my ATH-M40x(first set of headphones I've owned) and I am considering buying the HE-400S.

Would these be on sale on Black Friday/ Near future on their official store or Ebay.com? I would have to pay for international shipping on both so, if they won't be on sale (anytime soon) I'd maybe stop staring at them before/while/after work and actually buy them.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,790 of 2,884

I haven't done the port mod on mine though, I'd love if you could give me some info about that process, or a link, or something.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2DsUnutSzw&feature=youtu.be

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #1,791 of 2,884
  My HD400's arrived a couple of hours ago and . . . 
I am DONE
my search for a pair of cans is over. I found 100% satisfaction with the Fidue A83 triple hybrid for my IEM needs and now I feel the same for the 400's
Out of the box they sound fabulous - Ive gone through a huge range of genres on my DX90 and my first impressions are:
I NEVER found myself thinking that the audio could 'do with a bit more of this' or 'a bit less of that' The balance of treble/mids/bass is phenominal
As such I found myself becoming effortlessly and simply absorbed into the music and yet still able to enjoy my audiophile tendancies of enjoying 
the more technical aspects of the instruments / mixing / mastering etc etc
The fact they will improve is mind blowing

So yeah, I am one happy bunny

Thanks SO much to everyone here for all your thoughts and insights. I can pretty much see what everyone has said from my own experience now

*sighs* :D

Yes! That's my opinion exactly! I can tell you that after about 400 hours of use it only gets better and better. I've never, in my 40 year search of a headphone that satisfy me, found THIS level of satisfaction.
I've passed thru Sennheisers, Grados, Shures, Beyerdynamics, Sonys, etc., but stopped to search after listening to this headphones. Everytime I listen to it, I'm still amazed. I'M DONE TOO.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,792 of 2,884
  Yes! That's my opinion exactly! I can tell you that after about 400 hours of use it only gets better and better. I've never, in my 40 year search of a headphone that satisfy me, found THIS level of satisfaction.
I've passed thru Sennheisers, Grados, Shures, Beyerdynamics, Sonys, etc., but stopped to search after listening to this headphones. Everytime I listen to it, I'm still amazed. I'M DONE TOO.

Thanks for that eeggddss - I was thinking, if they have been out for a couple of months you must have been listening to them for 4 hours a day!!   :D
I can certainly hear how you 'could' have a better sounding headphones BUT I find myself satisfied with the 400S's. I am content - a rare thing in the headphone world!
In general, my personal preference is for a brighter, clarity sound but when working porfessionaly with audio i strive for a balanced complimentory sound to the audio itself.
With these cans I find a superb balance. I find them bizzare in that although they are not my favourite type of sound signature at all . . . I love the sound signature.!
They are superbly mature and have an almost magical quality of relaxing you deeply INTO the music :D 

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,793 of 2,884
  Thanks for that eeggddss - I was thinking, if they have been out for a couple of months you must have been listening to them for 4 hours a day!!   :D
I can certainly hear how you 'could' have a better sounding headphones BUT I find myself satisfied with the 400S's. I am content - a rare thing in the headphone world!
In general, my personal preference is for a brighter, clarity sound but when working porfessionaly with audio i strive for a balanced complimentory sound to the audio itself.
With these cans I find a superb balance. I find them bizzare in that although they are not my favourite type of sound signature at all . . . I love the sound signature.!
They are superbly mature and have an almost magical quality of relaxing you deeply INTO the music :D 

I've got it as soon as they were out  (first week of July) and connected 24hs for 9 days non-stop to an audio equipment, that's about 200 hours. The rest was about 1 to 2 hours per day.
You will notice after the break-in that you will be entering in a kind of 3D aural dimension that envelopes your mind. The closest headphone I had that gave me about 80% of that feeling was Grado RS1i. I'm talking about a headphone that currently lists in Amazon well above $1K. What more can I say?

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,794 of 2,884
Will be starting my burn in soon :) 
Any albums in particular that have blown you away?
This one is above and beyond thus far:  Billie Holiday - Songs For Distingué Lovers

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,796 of 2,884
Code:
[color=rgb(33,33,33)]
Ordered focuspad from Hifiman . How do I know that there are those I received and not focuspad A?
[/color]

From another head-fi.org thread:
FocusPad vs FocusPad A

As many of you know, there are not one, but two hybrid pads that are available for the HiFiMan HE-series headphones. They are called the FocusPad (production) and FocusPad A (pre-production). The core differences between them visually is that the production pad, on the interior wall, uses perforated pleather. The preproduction model uses velour for the inner wall.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,797 of 2,884
From another head-fi.org thread:
FocusPad vs FocusPad A

As many of you know, there are not one, but two hybrid pads that are available for the HiFiMan HE-series headphones. They are called the FocusPad (production) and FocusPad A (pre-production). The core differences between them visually is that the production pad, on the interior wall, uses perforated pleather. The preproduction model uses velour for the inner wall.

Thanks!

There is no perforated pleather in mine. If the above is right Hifiman has sent me wrong pads when I ordered Focuspad.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,798 of 2,884
  Will be starting my burn in soon :) 
Any albums in particular that have blown you away?
This one is above and beyond thus far:  Billie Holiday - Songs For Distingué Lovers

Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie - Ella Fitzgerald.  For once she is not drowned out by a large ensemble. Proof that it was possible to record beautifully in 1961.

Please post your impressions of the HE400S as I am considering them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back