NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,591 of 2,884
So the HE-400i still has better extension in the bass? How about in the treble?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

They are quite similar. I'd say the 400i is a bit punchier in the bass and [according to others] also more extended in the treble, albeit less smooth.
My auditory memory of the 400i treble is blurry.
Thanks! I'd really like to know if the 200$ difference is significant. I am also looking to upgrade my source maybe a new desktop rig or just the ifi micro idsd. Another thing is that I cant buy the focuspads locally in our country. They only come with the 400i

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,592 of 2,884
If you can't get the Focus pads, then I think I recommend the 400i. I really like those pads! :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,594 of 2,884
JP, I feel the magni is quite good at driving the 400S. I know when I had the mad dogs, I felt it struggled to power them properly but I dont feel that way about the 400S. I have a FiiO e7? One of the old portable amp/dacs but its broken so I cant compare, but i was pleasantly surprised with how well my ipad powered the 400S.

I am of course still tempted to try out an Emotiva mini-x amp and run via speaker taps, but I think you will be quite pleased with the MM combo.

I see, The Emotiva Mini-X also looks good and is within my budget, if you could possibly test it on the Emotiva I would love to read some brief comparisons for the two desktop amp (MM Combo and Mini-X) and have your personal opinion on which of the two amp would you prefer and why. Thanks in advance 
dt880smile.png

Sep 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,595 of 2,884
Vali could also be a good choice. Or Magni as you say. Mini-X is total overkill for 400S and there will be very little volume play. Plus you will need speaker taps adaptors.

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,596 of 2,884
Vali could also be a good choice. Or Magni as you say. Mini-X is total overkill for 400S and there will be very little volume play. Plus you will need speaker taps adaptors.

If I will be needing an adaptors for Mini-X and if it is overkill for the 400S, then I think I would probably go with Vali or MM Stack combo or Asgard 2 (but actually I am leaning now toward to Asgard 2).

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #1,597 of 2,884

If I will be needing an adaptors for Mini-X and if it is overkill for the 400S, then I think I would probably go with Vali or MM Stack combo or Asgard 2 (but actually I am leaning now toward to Asgard 2).

I'm sticking with my Magni for now, so if you get the Asgard 2 please post impressions

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,599 of 2,884
My HE-400S is wonderful with the Asgard 1. The Asgard 2 can't possibly be worse.

If that's the case then I will go with the Asgard 2, hopefully I find a local distributor here in my place.
  I'm sticking with my Magni for now, so if you get the Asgard 2 please post impressions

I would love to post some impressions when I have the Asgard 2 but I think it might take a bit long since I still need to save up for it heheh, probably by December I will be able to have one.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #1,603 of 2,884
Any possible pad modifications other than Focus pads? They are so expensive. Seems the bass can be improved by changing the pads.

Maybe Jerg's pad modifications but you'd still need a pair of leather pads to do that. You'll also need to offer the stock velours and the mod is not reversible. It is still probably better to invest in focuspads as we know they work?

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #1,604 of 2,884
I had my HE400S for a week now and have it breaking-in since the first day I had it until yesterday and I could say that the SQ has improved drastically especially when it comes to Bass from what I remember of its out of the box sound. Also I noticed that although this has a low impedance rating (at 22 ohms) I really believe that this hp really requires amp-ing as it sound unengaging or boring when I plugged it in directly to my PC compared to when it was plugged in to my Cayin C5 (with my PC as source as well).

I am also planning on buying the FocusPads as I really don't like the Velour Pads because it easily attracts lint and I want to enhance the SQ of the HE400S for a bit, but yeah the Velour Pads is really comfortable hands down to that.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,605 of 2,884
Maybe Jerg's pad modifications but you'd still need a pair of leather pads to do that. You'll also need to offer the stock velours and the mod is not reversible. It is still probably better to invest in focuspads as we know they work?

Bass is noticeably improved with the pad replacement. I should likely be able to give you other's impressions after a early November meet. I hope to have my pad and grill updates done and available for listening at that meet. There was a lot of interest in my HE-400S at our August meet. So there should be plenty of people, who heard it then, and could comment on the updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back