NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Aug 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #991 of 2,884
  I'm about to publish a review in a day or two - I didn't focus as much on the sub-bass though. Maybe I'll do some tests and add them in.

Some sub-bass tests would be lovely thanks!​

It would be interesting if you can hear the sub-bass in the song Mark Up mentions. my IEMs and my closed back headphones are fine with it. My current open headphones, not so much.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #992 of 2,884
Opens will have a harder time. The Audeze LCD-2 can reproduce it. The HD650 has it, just quieter. I haven't heard a recording with sub bass notes that went any lower than that. This is where the headphones with true infrasonic (below 20 hz) response do matter. Many that say they go to 20 hz DO go there, but the question is, how loudly? I'd wager the HE400S plays it, but probably 30-40 db down from 80 hz so you can not hear it without blasting the headphones way too loud. I would not encourage dangerous behavior.

The Sony MDR-XB50AP (my favorite in-ear ever, they're only $20 on average on EBay, way lower than normal retail stores on-line) also creates it perfectly, using the largest ear tips they included to get the right seal, that is. I invite anyone to spend the $20 for a pair on EBay, get the right ear tip seal and listen to it, you will hear that low boom. They sound nice otherwise. Such true extended bass headphones or in-ears will play it equal in volume to the higher 808 boom (which isn't actually louder than the deeper boom).

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #993 of 2,884
Wow. I'm very interested on getting either the 400s or 400i. It will come down to whichever I can decipher has better mids.

Can anyone clear that up for me I'm a huge Grado fan and would love a sound like Grado but slightly better in miss if at all possible.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #994 of 2,884
Wow. I'm very interested on getting either the 400s or 400i. It will come down to whichever I can decipher has better mids.

Can anyone clear that up for me I'm a huge Grado fan and would love a sound like Grado but slightly better in miss if at all possible.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

HE400S has amazing mids and great bass. Right now I'm listening to Vivo per lei by Andrea Bocelli and vocals sound very real, emotional and touching.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #995 of 2,884

HE400S has amazing mids and great bass. Right now I'm listening to Vivo per lei by Andrea Bocelli and vocals sound very real, emotional and touching.

I know, right? The vocals definitely shine with the HE400S. 

Sidenote: Review will be published tomorrow morning. Just want to do a bit of more research and see if I can add anything about the sub-bass.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #996 of 2,884
These are coming in by the end of the week 
popcorn.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #997 of 2,884
  I know, right? The vocals definitely shine with the HE400S. 

Sidenote: Review will be published tomorrow morning. Just want to do a bit of more research and see if I can add anything about the sub-bass.

Wow, I really like what I'm reading on the first impression about the 400S. Just want to ask about the Sound Stage (although I know it is quite wide since it is an open can) just a small description on how wide it is will be much appreciated.

I am very much looking forward to your review :D.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #998 of 2,884

Wow, I really like what I'm reading on the first impression about the 400S. Just want to ask about the Sound Stage (although I know it is quite wide since it is an open can) just a small description on how wide it is will be much appreciated.

I am very much looking forward to your review :D.

You'll have the review first thing tomorrow! Need to work on it now, but soundstage is nice - albeit not the K701 kind, but bigger than the HD 600.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #1,000 of 2,884
By the way InnerFidelity has measurements on the HE400S. Like all measurements I take it with a grain of salt. The measurements does show that the 400S does have quite of bit of a subbass drop. I head some of a midbass hump but the measurement does not show it.  The measurement does show a relatively flat smooth treble. Just I thought, the HE400S has more in common with the HE560 except that the HE560 has more subbass and richer in tone. I will have my ears to reconfirmed that at the second Denver meet soon. On the other hand I do have a hard time to correlate sometimes with InnerFidelity measurements.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400S.pdf

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,001 of 2,884
  By the way InnerFidelity has measurements on the HE400S. Like all measurements I take it with a grain of salt. The measurements does show that the 400S does have quite of bit of a subbass drop. I head some of a midbass hump but the measurement does not show it.  The measurement does show a relatively flat smooth treble. Just I thought, the HE400S has more in common with the HE560 except that the HE560 has more subbass and richer in tone. I will have my ears to reconfirmed that at the second Denver meet soon. On the other hand I do have a hard time to correlate sometimes with InnerFidelity measurements.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400S.pdf

If you're focusing on the bass, as many of us will when trying to access bass, a drop in the sub-bass will subjectively be similar to a raise in the mid bass...  In other words, cut off the rest of the spectrum (anything above bass) and just look at the graph then...  Say sub 200-250 Hz, there is actually a small, tiny, mid-bass hump as which is then amplified by the drop in sub-bass...  I heard the treble as smooth for the 400S after use.  I'll agree with the remarks about the 560 (that was in my comparison as well, 560 has more sub-bass, though at times the 400S seemed to have more low and/or mid-bass...  400S had a thicker, smoother sound overall).  

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,002 of 2,884
These are amazing! I can't stop listening to them.

I'm in the same position. Every night I tell myself "I should go to bed", then I say "just one more song"... It's addicting. 
smile.gif
 These are tuned perfectly.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #1,003 of 2,884
I am loving my HE-400S too. It sounds fantastic through an ODAC and Schiit Asgard. I also use it off an AK100 and Asgard or SMSL SAP-5 amp.
To me bass is deep and plentiful. It is tight, quick and punchy. I find the overall tonal balance to be on the warm sound but with a bit more top sparkle
to be considered warm. These are very detailed sounding cans. My ears seem to breathe a lot with these on. Sound stage is tangibly bigger than the
confines of my head. Maybe a few inches out. I do get a sense of each venue with generous room and mechanical nuances. Sound is overall smooth.
Nothing sticks out or lacking. I particularly like jazz trios and quartets. I also like Acousitic Alchemy a lot. The HE-400s presents these brilliantly. Sharp
string edges and percussions, roomy chambers, intimate and articulate mids. Instrumental overtones are present giving realistic texture to wood, skins,
and steel. The Blue Man Group sounds grand with the HE-400S. I commend them for it. Scale is hard to achieve with this group but the HE-400s renders
its power and complexity and expansive stage layout.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,004 of 2,884
Those Innerfidelity graphs tell me all I need to know. I have never seen any non-Fostex planars have such a bass roll off.

People can try and say it's not that bad, but signs pretty much exactly why so many people complained.

Thank god I didn't get these. No other HFM planar has that roll off. This looks far from the planar bass I expect. Another headphone horribly mislabeled as a HE-400 successor. I mean, it rolls off like an open DYNAMIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back