NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #736 of 2,884
Apparently Marshall made a phone, Marshall London, that can drive HE400S.
biggrin.gif
  Now no one can say these can't be driven by smartphones.
tongue.gif

http://www.gsmarena.com/marshalls_new_smartphone_is_every_audiophiles_dream-news-13087.php

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #737 of 2,884
  Was thinking about getting some focus pads as well.

Hoping it will add a little bass...

I have not listened to the 400s, but on the 400i and the 560, the Focus A pads tamed down the upper midrange a bit. I never heard more bass with any of the pads, on the 400. The Jerg pads tamed the funky upper midrange low treble of the 400. I changed the Focus pads for the Focus A on my 560s. This helped the 4 to 5K peak in the 560.

There is lots of discussion of the pads on the 560 thread, it may be worth a read. I don't remember  (my memory is not infallible) anyone mentioning an increase in bass with any of the pads on any of the phones.

With the exception of the 400 (I think that too is more of a balance thing than real measurable increase in bass) , I don't find any of the Hifiman headphones to be bass monsters or even slightly bass emphasized. If that is what you want, maybe you should look elsewhere. I like the linearity and definition of the bass on the 400i and 560... but even me, as a neutral lover, sometimes wish for a tad more. Huge bass is not what these headphones have been about. It is more neutrality. So far, the impressions of the 400s have not differed much in that respect.

Pads are just $40 plus shipping, so you will not lose much... but keep the expectations low on the bass increase.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #738 of 2,884
I have not listened to the 400s, but on the 400i and the 560, the Focus A pads tamed down the upper midrange a bit. I never heard more bass with any of the pads, on the 400. The Jerg pads tamed the funky upper midrange low treble of the 400. I changed the Focus pads for the Focus A on my 560s. This helped the 4 to 5K peak in the 560.

There is lots of discussion of the pads on the 560 thread, it may be worth a read. I don't remember  (my memory is not infallible) anyone mentioning an increase in bass with any of the pads on any of the phones.

With the exception of the 400 (I think that too is more of a balance thing than real measurable increase in bass) , I don't find any of the Hifiman headphones to be bass monsters or even slightly bass emphasized. If that is what you want, maybe you should look elsewhere. I like the linearity and definition of the bass on the 400i and 560... but even me, as a neutral lover, sometimes wish for a tad more. Huge bass is not what these headphones have been about. It is more neutrality. So far, the impressions of the 400s have not differed much in that respect.

Pads are just $40 plus shipping, so you will not lose much... but keep the expectations low on the bass increase.

Agreed, I have listened to the pads on the original 400 and it only fixes the treble balancing it out. No increase in bass

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #740 of 2,884
Managed to listen to the HD600 and 650s. Some comparisons to the 400S in brief:

HD600 vs HE400S
Treble a little more peaky, mids a bit more forward, bass has less extension, slight midbass bump. Overall quite an energetic presentation.
Can't really decide on soundstage but probably very marginally smaller

HD650
Treble less peaky than 600, mids a little more laid back and smoother, much closer to the 400S presentation. Bass has marginally less quantity but more texture/rumble? Soundstage same size as 600

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #743 of 2,884
Hoping it's more than just a minor cosmetic change. That said, it did need an improved build quality.

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #745 of 2,884
I wish I could just plop the drivers from the HE-400 straight into the new headband of the new line of Hifimans...
The headband and cable connections were the biggest decider for me to return my HE-400. I still miss it, my favorite headphone ever in sound signature
I just returned my HE-400i (new cable broke in like a week...) for the HE-400S. The HE-400i was too warm and lush for me. 

The headband was more comfortable, but I always have the issue of the headband getting too bent out of shape, and it changes my perception of Left and Right areas of sound in the soundstage. Drives me nuts. Happened with the DT990, HE-400, and even just bending the stress-holding band on the top of the HE-400i tended to affect how the drivers clamp onto your head, leading to a misaligned perception of sound for me. Unless the headband is perfect shape from out of the box, I can tell that one of the channels is too close, or too far. Too soft, or too loud. That's my biggest Audio OCD, and no one else seems to share it... considering moving to only headband suspension designs that cannot possibly be bent (such as the all plastic AKG headbands. Really considering the K7XX as a second headphone now that it is on sale). I just cannot give up that planar sound though.
Rant over. 
beyersmile.png

Fingers crossed the HE-400S is more energetic than the HE-400i, that's what I want. Though, from all 50 pages of this thread, it seems only slightly more energetic than the HE-400i.
The 400i was far too closed and forward in terms of mids and soundstage. I want basically neutral, to maybe a slight bump in mids, with high treble extension (wish it had 560 treble). 
Bass still seemed clear and heavy enough for me in the 400i, and I'm assuming the HE-400S only betters that. Don't really miss the bass of the HE-400, but I did appreciate it. Not really a basshead, but it's always a welcome addition for me. I listen to strictly genres of more modern rock and metal genres, and some bass is needed for most of those genres.
I want a dark headphone with energy, and nothing I've heard does that better than the HE-400 so far from all cans I've heard.
The HE-400i never wowed me like the HE-400 did every time I put them on.

I truly think the HE-560 is the perfect signature for me by the sound of it (a neutral headphone, with the influences of a V-shaped signature with its sub-bass and treble extension) but my bank account says no to me. Used 560's are going down, so maybe one day. HE-400S for me now, can't wait to hear them.

Hifiman says they're coming from china + 3-5 days processing once they get my He-400i... so they'll arrive like next month I fear... 
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #746 of 2,884
Please tell me Hifiman return policy. Is refund print paper a must? Do I have to pay for shipping back? I am in 30 days period seemingly and want to get my money back asap. Do they accept refund in 30 days no matter what the reason is like Amazon? Thanks in advance.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #750 of 2,884
@obsidyen

which one has better vocals, x2 or 400s?
and which one is better to ur taste in general?

thank u

I would give the edge to HE400S for vocals, but only so slightly. Fidelio X2, in my opinion, is the better headphone. I enjoy HE400S too, very good for the price, but X2 is better, no doubt about it. Then again I prefer X2 to pricier headphones such as Audeze EL-8, Oppo PM-2/3, Senn HD650/700 and even LCD-2. It just has the perfect sound signature for me. Glorious bass, engaging and fun sound signature, extended highs, superb soundstage... Yes there's some grain in highs and slightly recessed mids but no headphone is perfect. This level of greatness at $299 price is more than satisfactory.

The problem I have with planar magnetic headphones is that they feel closed-in. LCD headphones make me feel I'm in a vacuum seal, and while HE400S doesn't do that, it feels more like a closed headphone. I guess I just prefer the dynamic openness and dynamic headphones in general. I didn't know that about me before, but it seems I really enjoy an open, wide soundstage, a natural sound that feels like coming from speakers and not headphones. This is also why I really like Earsonics Velvet which has a massive soundstage for an IEM, even wider than many full size headphones. I'm going to stick to dynamic headphones from now on. Planars are not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back