Jul 30, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #916 of 2,884
Lol. But some, like me, don't agree
cool.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #917 of 2,884
  Lol. But some, like me, don't agree
cool.gif

We all have priorities.
smile.gif
  For genres I prefer (EDM, Brit Rock/Pop, modern Latin music, other modern stuff) HE400S is better. Jazz also sounds better in my opinion. HE400S made me really like the Hifiman brand, I have my eyes on a pair of HE-1000. Not in the near future perhaps, but still...
L3000.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #919 of 2,884
Any HE-400S owners with Modi 2 + Magni 2 stack? How's the pairing?

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #920 of 2,884
Anyone noticing the sharp rise or spike at certain area of treble?

I find tracks with moderate frequencies great. And tracks that has transient treble ok too. But when you take certain classical tracks with sustained notes at some frequency its like getting a tiny treble spike into your ear. It is actually for me uncomfortable.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #921 of 2,884
I tried the 400s with the magni 2. I found the treble slightly harsh and the presentation a little too energetic for my tastes but YMMV

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #922 of 2,884

K7XX is a completely different sounding headphone, I have been listening to both on the Violectric V281. The mids on the 400s have more body in example while the AKG has better bass layering. No surprise the GO1000 isn't the best amp for the HFM. I had it here for a while and I just couldn't get to like it at all and didn't review it. I bet your K7XX sounds better on a better amp as well (no offence). The 400S does scale up quite a bit

I've had the K7XX paired with near a dozen setups, and although the GO sacrifices a tiny bit, it's certainly as good or even better than other "better" amps I've tried, and the K7XX actually pairs decently well with it 
smile.gif
. Magni 2, Objective2, E12, Heir Rendition 1 - all sound worse than the GO. The Aune B1 did sound better, but I don't think by a huge margin. However, I do hear that a good desktop tube amp will be much better. Do you have any recommendations for a dac/amp for the K7XX, and possibly for the HE400S (preferebly ~$300, and portable is a massive plus for me 
biggrin.gif
) ?

P.S. - I agree with you that the GO doesn't live up to its hype train, IMO. However, I did find it a bit more agreeable to my ears when switching the audio plugin for JRiver to GO Direct Sound - there's like 5 Geek Out plugins, so choosing the best one is awfully confusing.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #926 of 2,884
Oh Snap!

I just went off and purchased the he-400s. I got a sizable discount on a like new open box pair. I was considering the original he-400 since it is priced to move these days.

Hope I made the right decision as these are my first orthos. I also own the hd600 and k7xx amongst several others. Will soon find out how they compare.

bwcgrx

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #929 of 2,884
Anyone noticing the sharp rise or spike at certain area of treble?

I find tracks with moderate frequencies great. And tracks that has transient treble ok too. But when you take certain classical tracks with sustained notes at some frequency its like getting a tiny treble spike into your ear. It is actually for me uncomfortable.

I find that the 400S treble to be even smoother than my 400 which has a sharper treble peak. I think what amp you are using does make a difference. If you are using a amp section that is running near the limits you may get some clipping at the peaks of some classical music that have a larger dynamic range than some of the popular music of today. Some of the classical brass section in some of my recordings can be quite piercing but that sounds that way in a concert.  The 400S being more transparent sounding is going to be a bit more fussier on the source/amp you are using.  In other words the 400S scales very well with better source and equipment. IFI products for example, have a slightly richer and mellow sound as compared to some Sabre based products which tend be a bit brighter and edgier in some cases. I am saying that IFI products is more likely to pair well with the 400S and I am sure that there are others as well. I have tried the 400i as well but I like the 400S much better as its transparency and clarity is great and natural as compared going to live concerts of the same pieces. I have returned my 400i which at first I like but got tired of its sound signature and the 400S just continues to grow on me. My headphones came from Brian Larson at RazorDog.    

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #930 of 2,884
Oh Snap!

I just went off and purchased the he-400s. I got a sizable discount on a like new open box pair. I was considering the original he-400 since it is priced to move these days.

Hope I made the right decision as these are my first orthos. I also own the hd600 and k7xx amongst several others. Will soon find out how they compare.

bwcgrx

Since the 400S is your first orthos headphones I recommend after a bit of a breakin that you just wear and listen to the 400S for the first week only so that your ears can get used to the Orthodynamic sound and then compare your 4400S to your other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back