NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 27, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #872 of 2,884
  Respect..I am not capable of such calculations.

Then I'll withdraw my comments.
Magni 2 is more than capable for He400s.

Just got mine... sort of mixed feelings with the Geek Out 1000... not sure in which direction to go now. One thing I'll say for sure - The HE-400S is NOT forgiving of poor source material at all. Then again, maybe it's just the pairing. I'll go see if I can test it out with some other amps in Manhattan.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #878 of 2,884
I owned x2 and the main reason i parted with them was the sloppy bass. At times unatural sounding cymbals also. The bass on 400s is tight & well controlled. It may be more sub-bass that i'm actually hearing but it's balanced into the overall sound perfectly. I'd take 400s over x2 anyday. Thats just my personal preference. I got rid of my he-500's for the same reason.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #880 of 2,884
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if you can give me some insights or advice. I have actually started a thread which can be found here. Although the thread itself is just about on what would be the best choice between Fidelio X2 and this new Hifi-Man HE-400s. Since they are mostly on the same price bracket.

Any thoughts about the two cans will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #881 of 2,884
Hey folks,

Was about to pull the trigger on the HE-400S until I'm seeing that it takes a little to drive this guy than HiFiMan makes it out to be. Is this set of cans going to be poor for something like a Samsung Note 3? What about a desktop pc?

Thanks

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #882 of 2,884
  Hey folks,

Was about to pull the trigger on the HE-400S until I'm seeing that it takes a little to drive this guy than HiFiMan makes it out to be. Is this set of cans going to be poor for something like a Samsung Note 3? What about a desktop pc?

Thanks

I can answer the question for the PC; its not so much the amplification as the garbage soundcard (DAC) in the computer that spoils it for me. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #883 of 2,884
  Hey folks,

Thanks

Both devices can drive HE400S to loud volume if they have enough power. That doesn't mean they can drive it well, most definitely they won't. I've used HE400S with both Meridian Explorer 2 and iFi iDSD Micro. With Fidelio X2, there is no difference between these amps, the sound is the same. There's a significant difference with HE400S, however. Explorer 2 can drive HE400S to loud volumes but with iDSD Micro, everything sounds better and more natural. The bass sounds much better. Explorer 2 just can't provide enough low end via usb power and the general sound is coarser.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #884 of 2,884
Well, I'll get to hear the HE-400S soon. Hopefully 
smily_headphones1.gif

I sure look forward to giving it a spin against the 560... Unfair, but I am excited still 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back