NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 10, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #572 of 2,884
  Personally, I find the HD650 uncomfortable.  It's light as a feather, but it just clamps too much.  Sound-wise it's my favorite dynamic though.  I wish AKG, Beyer, or AT made anything that sounded as good since those are a lot more comfy.

Have you done the headband clamp mod on the 650? When I first got them, they were certainly brutal, but after some quick adjustments to the metal bands, they only have slightly more clamping force than my 558.

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #573 of 2,884
I finally got a chance to take a listen to these. HiFiMan does go a different direction than the HE400i/HE-560. The S is a thicker, smoother, more laid back sound with some sparkling highs. It's generally an easy headphone to listen to and quite forgiving overall. Very impressed with the 300 dollar offering.

Comparisons are on their way after some slight burn in. On the list are the orthos I have: PM-3, HE-400i, and HE-560, along with some other headphones in the price range: V-Moda M-100 and B&W P7. That's all that comes to mind at the moment. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. If I have the headphone, it'll be added to the list.

I am very much looking forward to the 400S Vs 560 comparison, while 400i will also be useful.
For more preferences I liked the 560 more than the 400i tonality wise so I really am curios where the 400S stands :)
What other gear will you be using to compare?
Certainly can't come soon enough :D

Jul 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #574 of 2,884
  Have you done the headband clamp mod on the 650? When I first got them, they were certainly brutal, but after some quick adjustments to the metal bands, they only have slightly more clamping force than my 558.

I don't really want to bend the metal since it won't adjust as smoothly afterwords.  Besides that the problem, on my head at least, is more with the tension of the headband than the angle of the metal adjustment sliders.  I've also tried taking the pads off and stretching it across some books which works, for a while...  The headband tightens back up afterwords though.  The hairdrier trick wasn't permanent either.

Your method will work for some people though.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #575 of 2,884
How does the HE-400s compare to the HE-500?
I could get a HE-500 for just under euro 600 (cheapest I could see for the 400s is euro 329 around here).

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #576 of 2,884
I am very much looking forward to the 400S Vs 560 comparison, while 400i will also be useful.
For more preferences I liked the 560 more than the 400i tonality wise so I really am curios where the 400S stands
smily_headphones1.gif

What other gear will you be using to compare?
Certainly can't come soon enough
biggrin.gif

I don't have too much hardware to test with.  An Aune T1, HiFiMan EF100 (unforgiving source, I can see it pairing well with the 400S, we'll see though), V-Moda Vamp Verza.  

I actually do prefer the 560's sound sig as well.  

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #577 of 2,884

I don't really want to bend the metal since it won't adjust as smoothly afterwords.  Besides that the problem, on my head at least, is more with the tension of the headband than the angle of the metal adjustment sliders.  I've also tried taking the pads off and stretching it across some books which works, for a while...  The headband tightens back up afterwords though.  The hairdrier trick wasn't permanent either.

Your method will work for some people though.

Get a really wide headphone stand :p  LOL.  

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #578 of 2,884
Can someone compare HE-400S with X2, please?

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #579 of 2,884
Can someone compare HE-400S with X2, please?

After 1h of listening switching between fidelio X2 and he-400s on different type of music, here are some initial impressions :

He400s is more comfortable (mainly because it has less clamp, don't want to say it will fall easily)

He-400s is less sensitive than X2. not so easy to drive as previously said. I would say it needs 20% more power to achieve the same sound level

He-400s has far less bass quantity than x2. Not for bass head as already said. Can't say something now on bass extension or bass slam difference between the two. I'll have to spend more time with them

He-400s is definitely more spacious and airy than X2 (both soundstage and instrument separation)
I feel listening to he-400s more relaxing. It let me have a better impression that music is bringing me to another place.
Soundstage seems to be sensitive to position. Improves by placing it in front

Please note that I currently have only my iPhone to drive them so now I have to invest in something better to drive He-400s. That was not anticipated at all...

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #580 of 2,884
After 1h listening switching between fidelio X2 and he-400s on different type of music, here are some initial impressions :

He400s is more comfortable (mainly because it has less clamp, don't want to say it will fall easily)

He-400s is less sensitive than X2. not so easy to drive as previously said. I would say it needs 20% more power to achieve the same sound level

He-400s has far less bass quantity than x2. Not for bass head as already said. Can't say something now on bass extension or bass slam difference between the two. I'll have to spend more time with them

He-400s is definitely more spacious and airy than X2 (both soundstage and instrument separation)
I feel listening to he-400s more relaxing. It let me have a better impression that music is bringing me to another place.
Soundstage seems to be sensitive to position. Improves by placing it in front

Please note that I currently have only my iPhone to drive them so now I have to invest in something better to drive He-400s. That was not anticipated at all...

X2 has more bass quantity, most of it is mid-bass, HE400S can go deeper and has more sub-bass. It's really easy to notice when you watch action movies with lots of sub-bass. Even it's not a basshead headphone, it will please audiophile bass lovers. Dangerous by David Guetta, for instance, sounds absolutely amazing. Drums' impact is sublime and bass is definitely present. I think EDM fans, with the exception of hardcore bassheads, will be pleased with HE400S' sound signature. The more I listen to these, the more I prefer them over X2. Maybe it's the new toy syndrome, but so far I think the sound is exceptionally more Hi-Fi at this price point. If Hifiman made a new HE560 with HE560's technical capabilities and HE400S' fun and engaging sound signature, I'd definitely consider buying. Most high-end headphones are boring and analytical to me.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #581 of 2,884

Hifiman made the impression that the 400S is easier to drive. While the 500S is the most sensitive of the Hifiman line at 98db but the efficiency is 93db that had me fooled a bit. Still needs a bit more power than the impression from all the advertising.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #582 of 2,884
Buzzing is most likely caused by a hair or other fiber glued to the diaphragm, which is a well known QC issue for Hifiman.

Interesting thing about that extra hole is that it matches the correction location of the bottom hole on the left side. Almost as if they only manufacture the left side pieces, then drill an extra hole to make the right side. Instead of producing mirror image left and right pieces. Wouldnt be surprised if everyones right side looks like that.

These are my 400i that are perfect no screw up. This is not true because my 400i are perfect on both sides. They just screw up sometimes I guess. Both sides are the same piece. Sometimes the holes just don't line up. Now, do those screw ups cause buzzing and vibrating? I don't know but the 400s I received had buzzing problems on the messed up side. Coincidence...? idk.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #583 of 2,884
I just received an email back from Hifiman this morning and they asked if I wanted a return or exchange. So we all know that their customer service is top notch and they will go the extra mile to fix their mistakes. Kudos to them. No hard feelings. I think I'm going to return it since I have the 400i, which sounds very similar. Now the new question is the PM-2 or PM-3? Hahahahah

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #584 of 2,884

X2 has more bass quantity, most of it is mid-bass, HE400S can go deeper and has more sub-bass. It's really easy to notice when you watch action movies with lots of sub-bass. Even it's not a basshead headphone, it will please audiophile bass lovers. Dangerous by David Guetta, for instance, sounds absolutely amazing. Drums' impact is sublime and bass is definitely present. I think EDM fans, with the exception of hardcore bassheads, will be pleased with HE400S' sound signature. The more I listen to these, the more I prefer them over X2. Maybe it's the new toy syndrome, but so far I think the sound is exceptionally more Hi-Fi at this price point. If Hifiman made a new HE560 with HE560's technical capabilities and HE400S' fun and engaging sound signature, I'd definitely consider buying. Most high-end headphones are boring and analytical to me.

The X2 is no slouch in the sub bass department at all. 30hz is level with its mids and 20hz is very present. One of my favorite late night cans for movies. Great headphone.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #585 of 2,884
After a day or so of listening my very short impressions are (source is IDSD Micro):

Sound (keep in mind HE400s has almost no burn in compared to the other two)
X2 - Best all around bass, maybe slightly u shaped to me, most bass and probably most fun
HE400S - Forward sound, great balance of frequency, nice sub bass more than mid bass, very well rounded
HD 650 - Laid back sound, still the best mids, good mid bass maybe less sub bass than the other two, the smoothest and still maybe my favorite chill headphones

Comfort
HE400S - The most comfortable, perfect clamp for me, I don't feel the weight at all, I'm wondering if these will be too small for people with big or long heads...
X2 - 2nd most comfortable, mainly because you can just bend the metal until the clamp is perfect for you. I personally didn't like the elastic strap though until I stretched it out.
HD650 - Very light but the clamp is kind of strong. The foam they use is also on the harder side. I have not tried the clamp mod yet as they are not really uncomfortable just less comfortable than the above two.

The can't really say any of these three is better than the other two, they are all fantastic headphones with slightly different sound signatures.
The thing I notice the most going from HD650 and HE400S is that the HD650 sounds much more laid back, while the HE400S sound is very pushed forward on all frequencies.
The X2... well it's more forward than the HD650 but mostly I just notice the glorious bass lol

In the end, my favorite is still the HD650 but I honestly can't say why. Maybe it's just the one that looks the least goofy when you are wearing it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back