NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Mar 22, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,296 of 2,884
I would say from my experience the answer is 'yes.' There is more depth to the stage and more detail and extension on top and especially, below. There is just more there there. YMMV, obviously, but that is my FWIW on the topic.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #2,297 of 2,884
Oh my god, the HiFiMan pleather pads are terrible. They are so incredibly stiff and do not conform to my head shape at all. Result is bad seal and horrible sound.

I ordered HM5 pads which I will strechts over the rings. Last chance for this headphone to shine.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #2,298 of 2,884
Hi
Currently pairing my focus pad unit with Dx90. I know the ibasso has sufficient juice but will the 400s benefit from an external amp?

That's a tough call. I'm listening with the DX80 and I think the 400s pairs very nicely with it. I'm using the high gain setting and still have a lot of head-room.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #2,300 of 2,884
Wow high gain? I am using mid gain at the moment and I feel its loud enough. I guess its a matter of preference whether an external amp is needed although I did notice some improvements ....or is it just me..lol

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,301 of 2,884
I'm posting in this thread my initial impressions on the HE-400s paired with the Oppo HA-2, in case anyone is also considering this combo.

I received my HE-400s headphones last week and have enjoyed them a lot. I've mainly used them directly from my ipod or from my iphone 6 (spotify) or computer, most of the time paired with a Dragonfly 1.2. I'm no expert on how to describe the "sound", but I can definitely say they are way above all my previously owned headphones (Bose AE2, Alessandro MS-1 and Sennheiser HD598). Sounds from instruments feels tighter, clearer. I play drums and on several acoustic songs the tom hits sound extremely real (as if I was physically on that room). In short, I'm very happy with the purchase.

So, yesterday I received the Oppo HA-2 portable amp/dac. Even though I plan to get a Schitt stack (modi 2 and vali 2) to listen at home, I'm still working on my music source (repurpose an old laptop or buy a new computer, like a mac mini) plus I need a new desk, so I decided to go with a portable solution as I mostly listen to music in bed. Also on the weekends, I can keep an eye on my two kids while enjoying good music. I was only able to listen for about 45 minutes, again using my iphone 6 and spotify. Initial impressions are positive, I felt the bass was tighter, more pronounced, and I liked that. This was while listening to Rock and Acoustic music.

I did a quick A/B test regarding the low vs high gain setting and I "feel"  I enjoyed the music more with the gain on high. Anyone can comment on this?

In regards to the bass boost, it was very nice on hip hop songs... on every thing else (Rock/Acoustic/Salsa), it's better to leave it off, in my opinion.

The unit itself is very well constructed, the packaging is very nice too.

Anyone else with this combo? Please feel free to comment!

Joe

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,302 of 2,884
I'm happy to report that I'm a member of the HE-400S club as of last week.  So far, really enjoying what I'm hearing while paired with my Peachtree Decco 65 out of the HE-400s.  I have the HE-500 and the LCD 2 on their way, so I'm not sure where things will turn up, or out.

From my readings, I'm happy I passed on the HE-400i, but do hope to hear those at some point in time. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,303 of 2,884
  I'm happy to report that I'm a member of the HE-400S club as of last week.  So far, really enjoying what I'm hearing while paired with my Peachtree Decco 65 out of the HE-400s.  I have the HE-500 and the LCD 2 on their way, so I'm not sure where things will turn up, or out.

From my readings, I'm happy I passed on the HE-400i, but do hope to hear those at some point in time. 

I own both the HE-400S and the 400i. I've not auditioned the HE-500s but I did try out 560s and I would say given the price points in Portugal sound-wise I did not feel it warranted to fork out 3 times more (1 thousand for them and 350 for the 400S) for them - I'll save you the analysis but I too prefer the 400S, I feel they compliment the LCD-2s very well. My wife likes the way the 400i sounds so she is using them instead, they are definitely good but to each their own right, that's why there are plenty of options for everyone.

Also I'd personally never heard of the Peachtree Decco 65 but after looking into it can I just say it is beautiful, both the cherry and rosewood are absolutely stunning, wow. (always happy to see other Tom Waits fans around)

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,304 of 2,884

I own both the HE-400S and the 400i. I've not auditioned the HE-500s but I did try out 560s and I would say given the price points in Portugal sound-wise I did not feel it warranted to fork out 3 times more (1 thousand for them and 350 for the 400S) for them - I'll save you the analysis but I too prefer the 400S, I feel they compliment the LCD-2s very well. My wife likes the way the 400i sounds so she is using them instead, they are definitely good but to each their own right, that's why there are plenty of options for everyone.

Also I'd personally never heard of the Peachtree Decco 65 but after looking into it can I just say it is beautiful, both the cherry and rosewood are absolutely stunning, wow. (always happy to see other Tom Waits fans around)

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations between the models.  My Decco 65 has the rosewood cabinet and being able to turn the tube (in the pre-amp section) on or off, provides a slight adjustment for the sound.  I haven't gotten into tube rolling for this device, yet.  However, I don't dislike what I hear now, so I'll keep the cabinet sealed for now.

It's funny you noted Tom Waits.  I happened to change my avatar from Tom over to a guy that I caught in a Blues Saraceno video.  Just stumbled on Blues Saraceno today.

Enjoy!

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,307 of 2,884
@serman005 I think the bass is good but not that deep with the 400s and treble is somewhat rolled off. I heard 400i has better treble extension resulting in more detail than 400s.
I spotted another HiFiMAN HE400s review here. Somehow I am leaning towards either the 400i. I wish they did a side by side comparison as well.

By the way, how does the 400s/i compare with the EL-8 open? anyone tried both?

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #2,308 of 2,884
  @serman005 I think the bass is good but not that deep with the 400s and treble is somewhat rolled off. I heard 400i has better treble extension resulting in more detail than 400s.
I spotted another HiFiMAN HE400s review here. Somehow I am leaning towards either the 400i. I wish they did a side by side comparison as well.

By the way, how does the 400s/i compare with the EL-8 open? anyone tried both?

Thanks, @LenMargaux. I find the 400S bass to be articulate and harmonically detailed or rich, but without especially deep extension. I find the treble just slightly rolled off but quite good. I would generally describe the signature of the HE400S to be analogous to that of the HD598, but much, much better. It is a warm signature, IMO. Very happy with mine. Very impressed by the soundstage and the detail retrieval. Did not expect the imaging and soundstage to be so good. Wow.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,310 of 2,884
  I would appreciate it if someone could comment on HE400S vs. HE400i. I've been looking in the threads and I can't seem to find much on this, which surprises me. Thanks for any input.

Google 'HE400i vs. HE400S' and you'll find info...........................Goggle is your friend as long as you don't mind them keeping track of everything you do on your computer............ but that's the cost of all that info at your fingertips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back