NEW 2014 Extra Bass SONY MDR-XB950AP/H
Feb 7, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #31 of 58
  the "international" version of these black.  Anyone know of any other difference for the same model number vs the US version?

edit, actually, they are AP/B  anyways, still the international version.  

Also, I'm a newb and googled "what is bass bleed," can someon ELI5 what that is.

I believe people are referring to the overly fuzzy bass you get in bass heavy headphones even when it doesn't really exist in the recording. Certain things will trigger the fuzzy bass response even though it shouldn't. It's the opposite of tight bass.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #32 of 58
Thank you for the answers and suggestions Fuzziekiwi. I am almost set with a projector and HD 8 DJ and enjoying (thanks to you again :)). I will try to check Fidelio X2 from Amazon. 

Ajay

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #33 of 58
  Thank you for the answers and suggestions Fuzziekiwi. I am almost set with a projector and HD 8 DJ and enjoying (thanks to you again :)). I will try to check Fidelio X2 from Amazon. 

Ajay

If you happen to get them update on how you like them! 
atsmile.gif

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #34 of 58
I got these a few weeks ago, i have stopped using my T70p on the bus to work now for these as they isolate better. Obviously the sig has much more bass than the T70p but interestingly it dissipates on tracks where it needs to (rock, acoustic etc) , it also doesnt poison the mids the way it did on the XB500/700. Treble is actually pretty good as well..IMO these are much better than the other XBs i have tried, it takes about a week for the bass to settle (at first it was frankly at a silly level) but overall an enjoyable , comfortable pair of cans.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #35 of 58
modded the bass port by covering with small pieces of die cut card, initially seems to give an effective reduction in PHAT bass leaving a nice rounded sensible response.
I will see how it goes. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #36 of 58
Guys the bass port mod on these really turns these into a total bargain, without it the can has many good qualities , vibrant mids, well extended treble and the bass while overblown is certainly not one dimensional.
With this mod i rate these above my Momentum, not bad for £39 (Dixons airport deal).

This is what i have done to mine 

The red bit in the centre is hard card cut to fit, the bass port on these is actually really big as the area covered next to the port is actually fabric and allows air in/out.

Normally the port is like this, the whole port is basically open :

So if you want a great pair of cans for a great price i am giving these a total thumbs up!

PS. Without this mod the cans are really pretty good to begin with but if you prefer your bass a little less nasty the mod is easy and reversible.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #37 of 58
I tried these today at a shop out of my mp3 Player.

The bass was definetly boosted at least 4-5 dB but it was not that overwhelming.

The be honest when I cut the bass down the mids and highs were mighty good, the tonality felt Natural with maybe just a slight hint of emphasis on sibilants.

With bass reduced it was way better (tonality wise) than an akg k551 I trired out of the same mp3 player, very easy on the ears really.

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #38 of 58
I got a pair through NewEgg for $25 (refurb).  I spent a few hours listening to some of my Google Play Music collection.  Overall, they seem a bit veiled (sometimes it seemed like the mids were recessed), but I think that depends greatly on the type of music.  I found bass-heavy songs with vocals to have more recessive sounding mids and highs.  However, I don't feel the bass bleeds.  They just seem to be more forward.  Vocals are still clear and it seems to be a small stage presence (think a small museum gathering and you're front few rows).  On other tracks as Astroid points out, the bassiness falls away to reveal this smooth and deep blend.  For example vocal jazz and Michael Buble come to mind as being really nice to listen to with these (reminds me of my JVC HA-RX700s) but with less punchy bass.

Definitely a keeper considering these are normally $90-$120.  Even ordered a case to hold them in.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #39 of 58
Yeah i have been amazed by these at the price, i think the transducer in these is very capable. After the bass ports have been closed off Norah Jones sounds stunning on the 24/192 2012 remaster. My T70p are gathering dust right now!

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #40 of 58
Thanks Astroid, I got these because I tried the BT version at BB, thinking they both (AP and BT) sound identical.  After receiving mine in the mail and put them on, I was really disappointed.  BT version sounds much better, hack even zx100 sounds better for me.  I really want to give these a chance, for now I have the bass port taped up and seems to help quit a bit.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #42 of 58
They are getting better, and you are right bass is still a little strong. I found out they sound much nicer at higher volume. Need to keep those ports covered up or might hurt my ears with all the bass.

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #43 of 58
When I go from these to my T70p it sounds very hollow, the soundstage on the Beyer is in a different league though, after 3 or 4 hrs I have adjusted and the T70p sounds right again.
Then back to the XB , it sounds like it has a whole extra mid band and the bass doesn't start and stop laser fast like the Beyer, but for travel I think I do prefer the Sony, for home listening in a quiet environment the Beyer wins.

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #44 of 58
I think I am going to open the Sonys and block the port on the inside and maybe apply some damping, only worry is I think the pads may be attached with adhesive, any one know?

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #45 of 58
Guys i was thinking if we can mod this headphone......as i have seen and eesearched that headphones having deep bass and decent mids are perfect for mods

If the earpad are replacablr.... i will suggest that if we put dynamat at back of driver magnet(opening for air), smaller the port, pasting dynamat on baffle of driver, pasting paxmate plus on back of driver and stuffing with loose cotton(equal weight) can make them serious contender to sony pro mdr7509HD

Going through the details and explaing the motto of every mod
As we see the headphones vibrate due to a peak near 85hz to 60hz and dip on 50hz or 45hz....this create a fun sound but takes down deep notes... this is due to the rocking motion seen in subs with small enclosure and poor damping, most people get exited as it is extra bass(fun) rather than pure bass(deep and harmonic)...
As on furthur research, sony speakers specialize on backwave mechanism, which damps them completely(multiple times) so it roves distortion and echo..

Dynamat mod: This mod can be applied on back of driver(magnet) for SQ and on back of body/cup for SQ and Isolation.
Added weight and vibration deadning, this mod will tweak the vibration, fuzziness of headphone by balancing mid bass peaks and low bass dips. Adding dynamat on magnet will help is deaden the mids vibration(intensity of mid on magnet pretty hot and it move same as bass rocking) and smoothen out the mids like a cream

Port mod:this can be applied on taste and will tighten up the bass on expense on low ends. Seal them 3/4 with transpore tape and see the sheer tight bass

Dynamat on baffle: Paste both side of baffle with opening for speaker(or u will not hear sounds) to smoothen up the whole spectrum and tighten up mids with reducing peaks and dips on treble

Paxmate plus: backwave damping, as dynamat is vibration deadner, it will trap the frequency inside which will reflect and strike ur driver creating distortion(lower second delay) and echo(higher second delay). Pasting paxmate plus on back of driver(over dynamat) will damp and dead the frequency at same time delivering vivid but neutral sound.

Cotton filling: doing this will trick ur speaker to be larger cabinet. Increment in loss of bass by port sealing and helps in removing stupid boxxy sound. This will make a very large surface area traping more air for producing more bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back