NEW 2014 Extra Bass SONY MDR-XB950AP/H
Nov 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #17 of 58
FYI...I realize these are the Bluetooth version but thought I'd post here in case there was interest and someone doesn't subscribe to the Deals Discussion thread.

Just basically got these for free from the Sony Store -- $100 statement credit on today's purchases if you're willing to sign up for their 1yr interest free, Sony Card via Capital One...'What's on your head?

Sony MDR-XB950BT for $99.99 with Free Shipping
http://store.sony.com/extra-bass-bluetooth-headset-zid27-MDRXB950BT/B/cat-27-catid-All-Weekly-Deals-Featured-Offers?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

If the credit card thing doesn't interest you, they are $98 on Amazon with free shipping and no tax -- which Sony charges.
(http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B00MCHE38O)

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #18 of 58
Hi,

I am considering to return SONY MDR-XB950AP/H ($99) and get a Sennheiser Urbanite XL($ 250). If anyone tried both of these headphones, could you please suggest if it is worth buying the expensive Urbanite XL compared to XB 950?

Is there the relative quality improvement in sound?

Thanks,
Ajay

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 58
Done! Sorry, totally forgot about these headphones and topic until recently
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
  Op: can you please add "Extra Bass" in the title?

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 58
  Hi,

I am considering to return SONY MDR-XB950AP/H ($99) and get a Sennheiser Urbanite XL($ 250). If anyone tried both of these headphones, could you please suggest if it is worth buying the expensive Urbanite XL compared to XB 950?

Is there the relative quality improvement in sound?

Thanks,
Ajay

Hello, never tried the Urbanite.
But I have tried the XB950 AP & BT versions and not impressed with either. XB950BT is more comfortable and sounds cleaner then the AP version. The pads on the XB950BT are more lush and the headband doesnt feel to grip ones head as with the XB950AP.
Having owned both, none of these new offering sound better than the old XB700.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #21 of 58
Thanks for the feedback AudioBreeder. I finally thought of taking BT version return AP version and I was waiting to get it from Sony (out of stack and they offered discount). But today all the prices are reset to original $199. For now thinking to keep AP version. Can you suggest good bass headphones with clear voices while watching movies (action) or at high volume music (I feed bass bleed with AP version).

And is there noticeable difference between AP and BT versions? If not now, I can take BT version for this christmas if they sound better with a considerable amount of quality. Please suggest.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #22 of 58
  Thanks for the feedback AudioBreeder. I finally thought of taking BT version return AP version and I was waiting to get it from Sony (out of stack and they offered discount). But today all the prices are reset to original $199. For now thinking to keep AP version. Can you suggest good bass headphones with clear voices while watching movies (action) or at high volume music (I feed bass bleed with AP version).

And is there noticeable difference between AP and BT versions? If not now, I can take BT version for this christmas if they sound better with a considerable amount of quality. Please suggest.

You can also consider getting Sennheiser HD7DJ, V-Moda M-100

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #23 of 58
Thanks Fuzziekiwi for your suggestions. I have checked both the suggested headphones price & amazon reviews (not many though) and finally decided to go with Sennheiser HD7DJ/ Sennheiser HD8DJ. I see you have HD7DJ (3rd place :))and I wanted to check with you again before I buy these that I am a bass head and my primarily usage of headphones is for movies and then the 2nd priority is music/ games. So please reconfirm if Sennheiser HD7DJ/ Sennheiser HD8DJ fulfill my requirements (bass head & movies without bass bleed). Thanks.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #25 of 58
  Thanks Fuzziekiwi for your suggestions. I have checked both the suggested headphones price & amazon reviews (not many though) and finally decided to go with Sennheiser HD7DJ/ Sennheiser HD8DJ. I see you have HD7DJ (3rd place :))and I wanted to check with you again before I buy these that I am a bass head and my primarily usage of headphones is for movies and then the 2nd priority is music/ games. So please reconfirm if Sennheiser HD7DJ/ Sennheiser HD8DJ fulfill my requirements (bass head & movies without bass bleed). Thanks.

They will definitely give you bass, it doesn't particularly have bass bleed but it is a very full, thick sounding headphone. Buy it from Amazon, and return it if you don't like it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #26 of 58
Hi Fuzziekiwi,

I have got HD8DJ headphones.. as you said, these doesn't have the bass bleed and the bass is crisp as I always wanted. These are great sound wise but the comfort wise I feel Sony 950 AP are much softer and better.

I prefer sound than comfort,so I am keeping these headphones anyway, in addition, Is there any headphones that gives us theater experience (surround sound/ dts/ dolbyetc.. not sure about exact terms to call it) while watching movies? and just for my info.. does HD 650 has less bass compared to HD 8 DJ?

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #27 of 58
Got the MDRXB950AP/H yesterday after finally trying them out and I was definitely surprised by how engaging it is. The bass packs a real punch, but is tight and still well controlled. The vocals are unbelievably crisp, clear, and emphasized (like the pronunciation of words) along with the sound stage (details sound so much like movie sound effects). Also like the fact that I can have the volume on 50%-70% and don't have to go any higher than that.

Also tried the MDRXB950BT/B, but the bass was just too overshadowing and the overall sound was just completely muffled.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #28 of 58
  Hi Fuzziekiwi,

I have got HD8DJ headphones.. as you said, these doesn't have the bass bleed and the bass is crisp as I always wanted. These are great sound wise but the comfort wise I feel Sony 950 AP are much softer and better.

I prefer sound than comfort,so I am keeping these headphones anyway, in addition, Is there any headphones that gives us theater experience (surround sound/ dts/ dolbyetc.. not sure about exact terms to call it) while watching movies? and just for my info.. does HD 650 has less bass compared to HD 8 DJ?

Thanks.

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier! I haven't been on Head-Fi as much. Yes the HD650 has less bass. For a theater like experience, I would say the Fidelio X1 or Fidelio X2 (they wont have as much bass as the HD8DJ, but will give you a big soundstage, and are recommended for a bassy open headphone, for home use).

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 58
the "international" version of these black.  Anyone know of any other difference for the same model number vs the US version?

edit, actually, they are AP/B  anyways, still the international version.  

Also, I'm a newb and googled "what is bass bleed," can someon ELI5 what that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back