Never, ever, buy headphones off of ebay.
Sep 23, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
So I made this thread a couple of weeks ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/570154/did-i-get-knockoff-xb700-s

Asking if I had gotten some fake XB700's, the general consensus was that I did.  Now that I have a real pair of XB700's, I can say with absolute certainty that they are super fake, the real ones are night and day better.  Well I was under the impression, and I think everyone else was too, that because I payed with paypal, I would be taken care of.  Wrong.

I opened a case with paypal claiming the items where fake, providing them with pictures of my headphones, and links to pictures of some real ones, its so blatantly obvious they are fake.  The seller responded back with a refund offer of $11, I payed him $60.  Naturally I refused but said in fairness I would take $40, I never heard from him. And now, a few weeks later, I gt this message from paypal:

Dear Benson,

We are currently investigating your complaint listed below.

To continue, we need documentation supporting your claim that the item is
not authentic.

Here’s what you need to do.

1. Obtain a document from an unbiased third-party, such as a dealer,
appraiser, or an organization that is qualified in the area of the item in
question (other than you). This document should contain the following:
•       Detailed description as to why the item is not authentic (i.e., how the
item differs from an authentic item, how the person evaluating the item
determined that it is not authentic, etc.).
•       If possible, the document should include a serial number and must be on
letterhead that includes the name, address, and phone number of the
authenticating party so that we can contact them directly, if necessary.

2. Fax the documents to PayPal at ******* (please note this is a
United States phone number, if you are faxing from outside the United
States, you will generally need to dial 00 1 before the number). Please
include a cover sheet with your fax that includes the email address
registered to your PayPal account and the ID number of your claim
(**************). That way we can attach the documents to your claim as
quickly as possible.

3. We need to receive your fax by September 29, 2011 in order to proceed
with the investigation of your claim. If we don’t receive your fax by
September 29, 2011, your claim will be canceled and no further action will
be taken on our part.

Please note that PayPal is unable to reimburse you for any costs or fees
that may be incurred in obtaining the requested documents. Any documents
you provide may also be supplied to the seller if necessary.

Thanks you for your cooperation and patience.

Well frak.  I don't have any headphone dealers around me, and definitely none that sell XB700's.  If I did, I would have bought them there.  So now I'm pretty much screwed.  Getting the kind of paperwork they want is more or less impossible, and they know it.  I really hate paypal, they don't care about protecting anyone, only that they get their fees.  Iv been screwed by them as a seller, and now as a buyer.  Guess I'm out $60....

Gah, I just had to vent.  Thanks for listening.

Try contacting Sony, inform them of the eBay account that sold you this fake and ask them for help in fulfilling the PayPal dispute requirements. They have a vested interest in curbing this type of fraud.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #17 of 36
What about these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-MDR-XB700-DJ-Bass-Headphones-extension-cords-/250879981314?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item3a699cb702

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphone-EXPRESS-SHIPPING-HD650-/400220701627?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item5d2f0343bb

If i am not wrong there isn't any fake HD 650 out there ???

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #18 of 36
I've bought a couple decent pairs of headphones from ebay without problems either. It does help to know if there are fake versions of the headphone you plan to buy. For example I don't think I've seen any fake Grado SR-x of Sennheiser HD-6xx around.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 36
you should open a case with ebay.  me and several other people i know have gone through that process and they have always sided with the buyer.  i used their buyer protection less than a year ago.  and it was settled in less than a week.
money back and return shipping free

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #21 of 36
@ FinalJenemba

If you purchased the headphone using a credit card linked to your Paypal account, I suggest contacting your credit card company to ask for a chargeback.
I had no success with Paypal on a few disputed transactions and the claims never went anywhere despite overwhelming evidence and documentation to support my case.

In most cases if you explain your reasoning to the credit card issuer and provide enough evidence, you will likely get your money back.
It's your right as a credit card holder and is well within the credit card company's ability to do so.

If you purchased it using a debit or checking/chequing account linked to your PP account, then you have more difficulties and need to jump through hoops with Paypal disputes.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #22 of 36
Sounds bad, buyer is king when it comes to Paypal though, even though they're giving you a hard time, I'm sure if you got one of the vendors here to do you a favor and vouch that these dudes are fake, you should be ok hopefully

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #23 of 36
I bought my Shure 840 from eBay.  Before purchasing, I carefully considered the top rated sellers: preferred non-asian locations, good seller feedback, brand-new, not b-stock, etc.
I ended up buying from CobraSonics which seemed like the best option.  Loving the headphone so far!
L3000.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 36

Quote:
I bought my Shure 840 from eBay.  Before purchasing, I carefully considered the top rated sellers: preferred non-asian locations, good seller feedback, brand-new, not b-stock, etc.
I ended up buying from CobraSonics which seemed like the best option.  Loving the headphone so far!
L3000.gif

Good points. I think a sticky on this topic (buying from ebay) would be useful. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 36
You haven't yet lost this! You have everything to make this work.

You work at RadioShack. Just get someone higher up in the audio department to sign a form with their contacts saying how they agree that those are not what the buyer was selling, and are indeed fakes. Send that along with the photos indicating it's a fake to Paypal. They will most likely stay by your side, it's not like they're actually going to call whoever signed that, it's likely just in case the crook 'appeals' they can use that.

If not, just e-mail Sony with the photos and your description of what the fakes sound like COMPARED TO THE REAL ONES. Use all those pretty audiophile words, like 'instrument separation', 'effortless' and all that stuff. They should reply, and if they do forward that e-mail to Paypal along with your photos. I don't think there's a better opinion on a product's legitimacy than that of it's creator 
tongue.gif

I would also suggest you to take photos of the driver. Find out how to take off the pads and remove the grille, then turn the driver off and take photos of both the back and the front. The color of the cables, the letters and the size of the magnet should be very big indicators that it is a fake. If you send those to Sony, you have a perfect justification to your claim.

Make us proud OP!

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #26 of 36
Honest folks lack the cynicism to thoroughly check the dealer. It's like Honest John sitting in on a poker game with a bunch of unknown guys.. Always a bad idea. I am truly sorry that you got ripped. I feel doubly bad because I just listed my phones for sale on eBay. Ouch!

davisoly

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 36
Here is another thought. Don't be too quick to dismiss or dis eBay and PayPal. The fraud needs these guys to work his scam. If you can verify the fraudulent phones to the satisfaction of eBay or PayPal, they will be too happy to cut the off. EBay and PayPal will take the steps necessary to protect their reputation. They have little without it.
davisoly

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #29 of 36
Well I officially faxed them the documents they asked for.  Had my manager write up a letter explaining that he sells Sony headphone, and those aren't Sony headphones.  Metal vs plastic, quality of pads, etc.  Also attached his business card to the fax and put on the store phone #.  That's the best I can do, its up to paypal now.  Thanks guys, wish me luck!  Ill report back when I hear from paypal. 
smile.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #30 of 36
you may still want to open a case with ebays buyer protection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back