neutral bluetooth over-ears ?
Nov 3, 2019 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

berkels

New Head-Fier
Hi all, new to this forum and did some searching but couldn't find a thread with suggestions targeting my needs (if this is due to my ineptitude with the search functionality, feel free to point me to existing threads).

Trying to find the right wireless cans for me.

I bought the Sony WH-1000XM3 that are so well-reviewed all over the internet, and returned them promptly. I found them bass-heavy (EQ helped some) and surprisingly muddy (nothing helped with that).

Most of my headphone listening over the past decade has been either on HD580 or MDR-7506. I like them both -- 2 different headphones, certainly, but I think most folks would agree that neither is for bass-heads. :)

So, my priorities, in order are:
1. Sound quality, esp. clarity (during wireless operation)
2. Neutral-ish signature, or at least, not bass-heavy
3. Comfort (prefer over-ear, need closed-back)
4. Bluetooth works well (I don't need low-latency, but obviously don't want to be annoyed wrt pairing)
5. Bells and whistles (multi pairing is great, controls are great, but these are considerably less important than sound quality)

Note that ANC isn't on the list. I prefer listening without it when not necessary, so if I can't turn it off or if the sound suffers without it (or because of it), it's a negative rather than a feature. (OTOH if the cans sound great without it and I can turn it on when needed, it's a positive, but still not very important to me.)

Top of my budget is $300, but under $200 would be strongly preferred if I can find something that sounds good to me in that range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back