Neurophone
Jun 20, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #46 of 57
Jelle et. al.,
Sorry I haven't posted the new information I came across. It's been a crazy week/weekend between preparing for a conference coming this sunday, finishing my thesis research and completing my first draft, moving across the state, interviews, work, and of course a head-fi meet tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

I did find out some interesting tid-bits about bone conduction and the vestibular system that I want to post about that addresses some of the concerns I had in my PM to Jelle, as well as some other concerns Jelle expressed. I also jumped the gun a bit and conceptualized another possible circuit implementation. I'm hoping to have time to post something on Tuesday, but it might be another week and a half (after I'm done moving) before I have time to post something of adequate quality and value
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #47 of 57
No Problem dbiker1. Already glad your onboard on team neurophone. really appreciate the time you put in this project despite your already busy schedule. Can't wait till Tuesday (or later, which i hope is not
smily_headphones1.gif
) to see what you came up with. I reckon it is newer/additional info then that in your last PM.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #48 of 57
Hello Masters..

I believe you will find this product interesting also.

OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator..
OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator - The Tech Report - Page 1

It could be a good combination with the nurophone, the neural impluse actuator.

There is also this product: Half Past Human - Speed Reading

Basicly it flashes your words in the same spot and allows the absorbtion of many hundreds of words a minute, I thought this was interesting at least.

Maybe in the near future learning will be like the matrix but untill then maybe asking questions about the combinations of available tech is a good thing.

I hope the thread grows, I hope to post back when I can, am I to understand there is a team growing to build a nurophone?

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #49 of 57
It looks like this discussion has petered out, but if anyone is interested, I recorded an interview with Patrick Flanagan from a 2003 radio show where he talks about the role of the saccule in hearing ultrasonic frequencies through the skin. It's a really long interview, so you'll have to slug through several other topics interspersed with discussion about the neurophone.

FYI, I did borrow a friend's Neurophone a couple years ago and confirmed that it works as advertised. I (and several friends) also confirmed that there's no audible sound from the probes, even if you put them right up against your ear at full volume. Both probes need to be in contact with your skin in order for it to work.

I'm not an expert on this subject and I'm not trying to sell anyone on this, I'm just sharing what I learned from personal experience.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #50 of 57
@organicphoto:

third time is a sharm.....

First of, welcome to head-fi.

dgbiker1 and me had some further conversations through PM, but dgbiker1 is a very busy individual and my time has been consumed by a very interesting project. A complet new way of making sound. Very promising properties. I hope someday i could scale it enough down to use it as a headphone. Never thought a loudspeaker could outperform a headphone :)

The interview sounds very interesting. especially if it could contribute more info on this interesting technology. So if it is not to much trouble, please share. Is it not already on youtube?

Also i am very curious about your real life experiences with the neurophone. What generation was it? Did you use it in conjunction with a headphone? How does it "sounds" solo? Did it take you long to get accustomed to the new way of hearing?

Love to hear more....

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #53 of 57
Hey there, this thread caught my attention as I am very intrigued by Flanagans Neurophone as well as his other work. I just wanted to point out a link that I came across,  not sure if you all had seen this.      http://neurophone.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/make-a-diy-flanagan-neurophone-with-a-tl494/     It sounded like it may be a little limited in its functioning but could be a good place to start.  Peace.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #54 of 57
Hi,

Very interesting device, but if deaf people don't hear with it, it is not what it claims to be. So, can the deaf hear through it? Especially those that lost hearing through physical damage to the ear drum and connecting bones. They would be the most likely to benefit. Born deaf should likewise hear if it indeeds acts upon the brain itself. Thanks and I await an answer.

bozo

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #55 of 57
I need to learn spanish quick. Have you noticed any such benefits using your circuit?

Check out

pat flanagan tesla society
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd-52ZeMq_4

pat flanagan 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWxJsysqNu4

Alternative Energy Hour
Pat announces HE is the reincarnation of TESLA.....................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWxJsysqNu4

Cheers!

adhanda888@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #57 of 57
So it turns out Flanagan's Neurophone does two things:
- It replaces the rising and falling edges of the audio signal wave with edges that have the _slope_ of a 40-50kHz ultrasonic wave. The 40kHz carrier is unimportant, the slope is key.
- It then double differentiates and highpass filters the result. This mimicks what would happen if you fed the signal into an antenna and then received the electromagnetic waves with your brain! The double-differentiated signal is now converted to mechanical energy with a piezo speaker, bypassing the brain's radio receiver.

The implication of this is that there are bits of our brain that act as a radio receiver with 100kHz bandwidth, and can process incoming audio. Which is crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back