Neurophone
Jun 12, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but I have a data hungry mind most of the time, of that generation + coffee etc.. :)

That's how Flanagan started and ended up inventing the neurophone. He saw a film or series where people could upload info to there brain. He tried to copy that.

Also i was thinking about, based on the BB waves of PowerNap, a short burst sequence of say a few minutes. Then study for 10-20 min, listen with closed eyes to the BB sequence to store the new info, and then start fresh again for another batch of info.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #32 of 57
So is the wave electrical or physical? As a biomedical engineer I take some interest in this, but if your wave is electrical there are some pretty big risks in making this a DIY project. There are set tolerances for trans-dermal power transfer and I can see things going very bad as people build their first neurophone (ie a big DC offset could fry you instead of your headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
). I worked on a project a couple years ago where we transfered power through the skin, so I probably still have the numbers if you need them.

Sorry if I just missed this information, it's late and I've been writing my thesis all day so I'm completely worn out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is the wave electrical or physical? As a biomedical engineer I take some interest in this, but if your wave is electrical there are some pretty big risks in making this a DIY project. There are set tolerances for trans-dermal power transfer and I can see things going very bad as people build their first neurophone (ie a big DC offset could fry you instead of your headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
). I worked on a project a couple years ago where we transfered power through the skin, so I probably still have the numbers if you need them.

Sorry if I just missed this information, it's late and I've been writing my thesis all day so I'm completely worn out
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome aboard. You raised a very good question. From what i've gathered it seems physical, but i am not so shure. That's why I suggested using Piezo elements to get that vibration. But, because you cold place it anywhere of your body, and looking at the schematic, it could be very well electrical. And I agree, in the latter you should keep the voltage (And more important) the amperage at the very save side. All information is welcome.

I just start to wonder, in case of the electrical, if the used voltage is between levels that could pass through skin, but are not as high so there able to fry anything of activate muscles.

Mhhm, mayby I should start licking my HP socket to get this experiment starting.
biggrin.gif
Experience learned me that a healthy 9V of your tongue is quit educate to get your attention...
biggrin.gif

Edit: 2 afterthoughts. If electrical and it should pass the skin barrier, you should take sweat into the equation, because moisture lowers the resistance of your skin. Second; i've read about the neurophone that when used on "loud" settings, people could hear the actual signal. This would suggest it is Physical because I don't see how electrical could make your skin turn into a speaker. Our there should be some piezo properties too live skin. But then I am wondering how high frequencies could travel through/over your skin to your ear region.

Love to hear your input on this dgbiker1! And I saw you're using B&O A8. Tried the iPodArt iBuds? Maybe the WHoomp of comply would also do the trick.
iBuds.jpg

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #34 of 57
I was thinking electrical because your nerves operate off electrochemical signals, they don't actually vibrate in response to sound (or anything). It could be physical, but the neurophone is then acting indirectly on the nerves (physical vibration is picked up by afferent nerves in the same way you sense touch) so it would be more of a dermaphone than neurophone... but such is marketing
biggrin.gif

On the electrical side, don't worry too much about voltage. Muscles respond to current, so that's what you need to worry about. The good news is that the electrical impedance of the body is very high a 40kHz, our impedance is lowest at a little under 60Hz (power line frequency, great!) and goes up above and below that. I would recommend using a battery or using an optocoupler in the circuit to protect the user if this is indeed an electrical signal. Looking at this again, I'm starting to think it's just a physical vibration though. In that case your piezo idea is great.

I haven't tried the ibuds, but I should. It looks like they would take care of the things I don't like about them (bass and comfort)
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the tip!

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

... It could be physical, but the neurophone is then acting indirectly on the nerves (physical vibration is picked up by afferent nerves in the same way you sense touch) so it would be more of a dermaphone than neurophone... but such is marketing
biggrin.gif

Thanks again. Learning new things here
smily_headphones1.gif
And a new search phrase for google. Never heard of the term dermaphone. But i am still trying to find a schematic for Amplitude Modulated Amp with a adjustable carrier frequencie wave in the 30-50kHz band. I'll start with piezo and if that does not do the trick, design an isolated loop for getting voltage to your skin.

Quote:

I haven't tried the ibuds, but I should. It looks like they would take care of the things I don't like about them (bass and comfort)
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the tip!

Bass becomes way more and comfort is way better. But the headphone tends to stick out (as seen on picture below). These iBuds are for the old apple headphone which are a little bigger then the A8. I have remedied this by double adhesive tape. But if you could find a version for the new apple earbuds, that it should be a nice fit.

BOA8.jpg

A8.jpg

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #36 of 57
Do you think this would work if the carrier wave is a square wave instead of a sine wave? If so, you could put together an adjustable AM circuit with a 555 timer (carrier signal) and a couple op-amps (one multiplier combining the carrier and sound, and one amplifier to drive the piezo) pretty easily. Might be worth a shot as a proof of concept/ prototype. Another thought is that some piezo drivers oscillate at a set frequency (unfortunately the carrier wouldn't be adjustable), so you could use the natural frequency of the driver as your "carrier" and use the sound wave to control the power going to the piezo, effectively controlling the displacement amplitude.

I just made up the dermaphone (derma=skin) term:p When I heard neurophone I assumed it actually sent electrical signals to the nerves, but the more I look at it the more I think it physically vibrates the skin and bone. Maybe I should actually read the guy's article, but I've been reading journal articles 6 hrs/day this week so I'm reluctant to read any more
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #37 of 57
Understand your reluctance of reading all this material.
smily_headphones1.gif
There are moments that the brian is just full and our biological recorder just quits. All in good time shall we say
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally have a dislike of square waves. There are some studies around that suggest that the abrupt change in voltage (and EM field) causes deceases like cancer (the whole GSM discussing). And if memory serves me correctly the studies also stated that sinus waves are far less intruding to our bodies and organs. But like you stated, I have only have to figure out 2 parts. 1) A variable Sinus generator 30-50Khz. 2) how to overlay the audiosignal with the carrier wave. Part 2 is what troubles me. The amping stuff is something i feel comfortable with designing myself. Time to start googling again I guess
smily_headphones1.gif
How hard can it be...
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #38 of 57
That's good, I'm pretty comfortable combining a carrier and a target signal but I haven't done anything with generating sinusoids
biggrin.gif
I'll look up my multiplier circuits and send you some information.

It's been a couple years, but as I recall AM is multiplication of the two signals and FM is addition, so just using an opamp operating as a multiplier should work for AM!

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #39 of 57
I was already googling and poundering and came up with this schematic. Simple and a clear case of my imperfect design skills. I am not shure of this schematic will work and if it is temperature stable. And i am also not shure if the C3 smoothing cap would do the trick in transforming the square waves into sinus waves. If it would work, it will be sensitive to value fluctuations.

Edit: I just figured out that after the audio buffer it needs some Low pass filtering to keep frequencies above, say 20khz, away from the "multiplier". I am no shure what will happen if 40khz audio signals would be mixed with the +/- 40khz carrier wave. Beat frequencies or phase problems could happen then.

neurophone.png

Looking forward to your info dgbiker1!

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #41 of 57
I am really shure it is Physical because i'm remembering a story about how the neurophone worked an audience without them connected to the device. The speculation was that skin is sensitive to high frequency soundwaves. So it's either physical or EM. Doubt the latter.

@ Buddha01: Because i am not an native american, what does C&G1-2-3 mean? If your familiar with radio electronics, then your input is very valuable in the AM field. What did you think of the above schematic?

About the link, thanks for bring it to our intention, if read that website a few months ago, so i thought it was already mentioned in this thread.

I've been interested in this device for quite some time now. Thanks to windows i've lost my old links a had gathered so far including some other manufactures making similar products. The called it a different name and i didn't find them anymore with google. I do remember it was a whole lot more expensive then the neurophone from flanagen. I believe that it was a german company.

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #42 of 57
bisc14.gif

I am not shure if i am correct, but a piezo speaker is constructed out of 2 pieces of metal that are not electrically linked. So the impedance would be infinitive/ So you need to short the piezo element to make a current (and voltage) run by it and make it vibrate. Looking at the schematic that buddha1 mentioned in the previous post, it seems that the peddles at the right side of the schematic, is just a way of drawing a piezo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm
I think the difficult part is the timing of the coding to make it recognised as audio in the brain... right?

From what i have read so far, the difficult part for now is to find that magic resonance frequency (30-50khz) and find out if that is the same for all people (which i think it is because there doesn't seem to be a trim on the neurophone, only volume). The way i see it how it works, is that the hairs in your cochlea create electrical pulses that are the same as the line level analogue audio signal that goes towards the headphone. The neurophone simply resonates a junction from the nerves from the cochlea and the central nerve towards your brain. So the embedded signal would just be a plain audiosignal. The carrierwave is just there to get the junction resonating and to transfer the musicsignal. The resonating itself would induce electrical signals on itself which would be simular as the musicsignal. And in doing so,the brain heres music. That's why it is AM and not FM (which would be a nice follow up experiment BTW).
If we got the basics right, we cold evolve there for better SQ and stereophonic implementation.

Addition:
anerv.gif
The Auditory Nerve Pathway

I am beginning to hesitate if i understood the workings correctly. Is it like i mentioned above a junction between the auditory nerve and the cochlea or is it the sand like part inside semicircular canals that is passed on to the auditory nerve and is recognised by the brain as signals coming from the cochlea and thus processes it as sound/music...

Addition II:
Found this on the net:
neuro2.jpg

Quote:

Neurophone

Invented in 1968 by Patrick Flanagan. The Neurophone is a device that allows the user to hear through the skin. It bypasses the normal audio channels and allows hearing of information using a direct connection to the brain! There have been many reports of deaf people who are able to hear using the device. When he applied for a patent, the Defense Intelligance Agency took posession of the technology under the excuse that it was a matter of national security. A national security order forbade Patrick from working on the device or discussing it with anyone. After challenging the order for more than 4 years, the patent was finally released and approved in 1972. The device is about the size of a cassette tape and runs on a 9 volt battery. It has an input jack where you can feed any standard audio from a cd player, or tape player into the Neurophone. There are 2 electrodes that transmit the audio information directly to the brain. When the electrodes are placed anywhere on your head or face, the sound actually appears to be coming from inside your head! It takes most people about a week of using the machine to hear clearly with it. This is apparently because many people do not have the right neural connections formed yet in their brains. After using the device for a few days, the sound becomes much clearer. If you plugged your ears with your fingers or used earplugs while using the device, the Neurophone sound actually becomes louder as a booming voice from inside your head! Here are some of the reported effects of using the device: Accellerated learning, Reportedly allows some nerve deaf people to hear, Electronic telepathy, Information is transmitted directly to brain, Has been used to communicate with dolphins, Increases concentration, Stress reduction, Synchronizes left and right side of brain, Information is fed directly to subconscious mind, Enhanced psychic, abilities, Reprogram your brain. Many aspects of the Neurophone technology are not completely understood but it appears to have incredible potential for learning. We have tested the device here at Future Horizons and found it amazing. The unit comes with an attractive carrying case, instruction booklet, hookup probes, demonstration CD, and is easy to use. We also have a complete technical booklet about the Neurophone technology and details about how it works. It also contains lots more info about its history and potential uses. Patent information about the device is also included. The Neurophone booklet is included with all Neurophone purchases and is also available seperately. PLANS: $20.00, Ready to use: $895.00

This raises an interesting question. You need approx. a week to "learn" the new audio input. How are we gone test the device for proper functioning. It would be great if we could borrow the original neurophone to "learn" recognise the audio. And with that new skill it would be much handier to test our own designs.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 57
Ohhhh dear, I wouldn't put much weight in that site. They sell the neurophone alongside anti-gravity machines and mind control crystals
smily_headphones1.gif

HELM_sm.jpg

The neurophone site looks like a much better (scientific) source. I'll send you a PM on some thoughts I've been having.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by pm
I've done some background research and now understand a bit more the concept of the application. After reading the background I have positive and negative impressions of the concept.

The positive: I believe the majority of the cost of their device is in profits and signal processing that may not be necessary to replicate (pink noise generators, etc) for this application. The basic concept of the circuit for the application you were describing (amplitude modulated audio signal) could easily be built for under $30 per channel (we could have a stereo version for $60!) as a prototype to test the concept.

I want to emphasize "to test the concept." I believe this is a very interesting concept with great potential, and for $30 it wouldn't hurt to try it. Before I mention the drawbacks, I just want to be clear that I am absolutely interested in trying this product.

I do have some big problems however. I first did some background research on Dr. Flanagan and found that some of his other inventions have come under intense scrutiny, including toxic supplements that are banned by the Food and Drug Administration in the U.S. His publications are generally found in "fringe" publications that are generally not peer reviewed and not reliable sources. He has many other inventions that are described as "snake oil". While this raises concerns, I chose to ignore his qualifications as I looked for information (keeping an open mind!).

I read about the concepts behind the neurophone and it is claimed to work through the vestibular system with electromagnetic waves (which cause hallucinations and health problems). I find this strange because the vestibular system is responsible for balance, not hearing (even though it is in the ear) and operates between 0.1 and 10Hz. Most parts of the human nervous system actually behave like filters (I model neuromuscular systems for my research, so I know this!), so it makes no sense that the vestibular system would work up to 10Hz, then not work between 10-30,000Hz and suddenly recognize a specific frequency in the 40,000Hz range. If it did work with ultrasonic frequencies, the vestibular system would not have the problem you were describing of being very dependent on which frequency it is set at, it would work with a range of frequencies (we operate on logarithmic scales, so in the ultrasonic range, the vestibular system should work over a range of many thousand hertz if it did work).

I read a bit of the Lenhardt article in Science magazine (the one cited on the neurophone site), and it confirmed my suspicions that this is a bone conduction device. While the neurophone site claims the neurophone doesn't work through bone conduction, the Science article states very clearly that it is bone conduction. Dr. Flanagan's experiments are not convincing (the beat frequency discussion), so I believe that bone conduction is much more likely than electromagnetic waves acting through the vestibular system as Flanagan explains. Bone conduction explains why you need to tune the frequency as you had described, since different people have different bone densities and geometries that will affect the very specific natural frequency of their bones.

Most importantly overall, I believe that the neurophone can work, but I think it would be good to move away from Dr. Flanagan's information. I believe the device works, but Dr. Flanagan's interpretation of WHY it works is incorrect. The advantage is that there is thorough, scientifically acceptable literature on bone conduction that will give us more specific information on how to modulate the audio signal. It also makes the implementation of the device more flexible. At this point, I believe it is more sensible to approach this as a bone-conduction device to guide the research and design.

If in my rambling i got something wrong or against the general scientific believes, feel free to correct me.

As you said, Strange man that Dr. Flanagan. A good question that is still not answered: If this device works that great; why are there still conventional hearing devices and cochlea implant surgery?

About bone conductance, from what i have seen, it does not need a carrierwave. The vibrate the audio spectrum directly to the cochlea, where the hairs inside pick it up as sound and is processed the old fashion way. So way a learning time? Is it maybe that the higher carrier wave makes for a better conductance. You would expect low frequencies are more suitable for it. Also, for maximum workings, it should sit as near as possible to the cochlea, which would place it just before your ear. In the case of more efficient bone conductance. You would expect that because of the different shapes and sizes of our skeleton (and thus different length pathways) it would be necessary to easily (for the user to) offset the carrierwave. As it seems that both the echofone and the neurophone does not allow to change the carrierfrequency, it's a save beth to say that one frequency fits all and in doing so it is not a "classic" bone conducting device. Also, when used to the neurophone, the pads could be placed anywhere on your body. In the case of bone conductance, that would be highly inefficient. And there are reports of people which are deaf (non function cochlea) that could hear with the neurophone.

About EMF; looking at the first (patent) schematic, there is no coil and the end for generating an EMF. So i believe that electromagnetic waves are not the case here.

In danger of becoming annoying by repeating myself. I excuse myself for being this reluctant. But i am trying to understand this thoroughly.

I understand now it is a plane inside the saccule that picks the signal up and that the plane has a resonance frequency of (+/- 40kHz, the magic frequency where after. That's way in our first setup, it should be adjustable. Once found, you could used a fixed frequency oscillating electronics because we have learned now to what frequency it should be tuned). As it resonates, the vibrating plane creates electrical pulses that are picked up by the auditory nerve. Now by modulating that resonance, you create wave like pulses that are similar to electrical music waves. Could it be because there are several nerve endings in that proximity that the brain does the filtering. And so, it needs to learn to see past the 10hz filter point to recognise the new audio stream? And that this explains the learning time? By new, i mean (seeing from inside the brain) misplaced audio pulses. Normally it receives the 20hz-20khz pulses from the neighbour nerve that is connected to the cochlea. Not this signal is also present as noise on the saccule nerve. This all seems very possible in my ears. The resonating theory. Funny thought. Because where resonating a plane, which is stiff to begin with, we could call it "burn in time".

There are some things not quit clear on what i have mentioned above. Can a high frequency travel through the body that easily. In other words, what is the resistance of the body to soundwaves depending on frequency (does resistance go up or down when freq. goes up). I don not know how the device is called in english (we dutch call it "echo") but the device uses ultrasone sound waves to make pictures of internal organs. Mostly used for checking on pregnant woman. This would show that ultrasone freq. do travel through our body. Maybe it uses our bone structure to travel in our case to get more efficiently to the saccule? And that is the reason it's called a bone conductance device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back