Neumann NDH 30
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #4,771 of 4,909
• Does NDH-30 sound 'relaxed'? Not to me. With a variety of h/p/a - HYB, SS, VT - and Lavricable Grand Silver cable, it sounds 'effortless'.
• Dynamics, spatiality, transients are conveyed as natural. There is no loss of detail - which a 'relaxed' presentation may connote. My 🪙🪙🪙 (due to inflation).

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #4,772 of 4,909
Does NDH-30 sound 'relaxed'? Not to me. With a variety of h/p/a - HYB, SS, VT - and Lavricable Grand Silver cable, it sounds 'effortless'. Dynamics, spatiality, transients are conveyed as natural. There is no loss of detail - which a 'relaxed' presentation usually connotes. My 🪙🪙🪙 (non-inflation-adjusted).

Depends what you mean by "relaxed", for myself "relaxed" is not loss of details, muffled, veiled or compressed dynamics but it is lack of harsh edges and grainyness and a certain fluidity in the presentation hence the term "relaxed" contrary to "strained" which would be for a can that struggles. I mean "relaxed" in the most positive sense.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #4,773 of 4,909
• Does NDH-30 sound 'relaxed'? Not to me. With a variety of h/p/a - HYB, SS, VT - and Lavricable Grand Silver cable, it sounds 'effortless'.
• Dynamics, spatiality, transients are conveyed as natural. There is no loss of detail - which a 'relaxed' presentation usually connotes. My 🪙🪙🪙 (non-inflation-adjusted).
Actually, this is the right amount of inflation...

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #4,774 of 4,909
Depends what you mean by "relaxed", for myself "relaxed" is not loss of details, muffled, veiled or compressed dynamics but it is lack of harsh edges and grainyness and a certain fluidity in the presentation hence the term "relaxed" contrary to "strained" which would be for a can that struggles. I mean "relaxed" in the most positive sense.
... we are on the same wavelength: .... 'effortless' .... 'contrary to "strained"' ☑️

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #4,775 of 4,909
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #4,777 of 4,909
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #4,778 of 4,909
I have two NDH 30s and one has slightly more treble presence than the other. This (sample variation) and different sources and amps could IMO make enough difference to result in the differences in opinion mentioned in recent posts.

However, I don’t find them at all lacking in detail compared to the 600/650. In fact due partly at least to the great instrumental separation I find quite the opposite. Also piano is usually the ultimate test - if headphone A is better for piano than headphone B then you know which one is more accurate (if not better for all types of music according to different tastes).

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #4,779 of 4,909
NDH 30 is as close to an accurately purposed tuned phone. The difference between my room corrected and calibrated studio monitor and NDH 30 is how the sound is perceived, the listening experience. Sound/voice wise they're pretty similar (Sony MDRV1 can do this but with the aid of DSP). IMO the 30 is more of a mastering grade that can mix and track. For Neuman to achieve this feat is quite remarkable.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #4,780 of 4,909
NDH 30 is as close to an accurately purposed tuned phone. The difference between my room corrected and calibrated studio monitor and NDH 30 is how the sound is perceived, the listening experience. Sound/voice wise they're pretty similar (Sony MDRV1 can do this but with the aid of DSP). IMO the 30 is more of a mastering grade that can mix and track. For Neuman to achieve this feat is quite remarkable.
[Psst .... how is AT-BHA100 working out? With NDH-30? 🤔]

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #4,781 of 4,909
[Psst .... how is AT-BHA100 working out? With NDH-30? 🤔]
Listening to Satoshi Takino as I type..
41eiRL60emL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

Granted that we already know my NDH 30 has been mod'd, the mids focused BHA100 has been doing wonderful things to the NDH 30 in those regions. I'm actually eyeing out on a supposed to be more "musical" (whatever that may mean lol) Italian tube amp. I also should be getting the iDSD Signature Finale in the mail which will be my main transportable/vacay desktop, can't wait to see the NDH 30 pairs. It's been ages since I've listened to Burr-Brown.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #4,782 of 4,909
BTW, non NDH 30 related, Nobsound/Little Bear/Douk XLR switcher is pure garbage. It's tried to kill my ADAM A4V desktop monitors with loud crackle and pop when switching. Could be defective but returning it either way to get a proper switcher.

Apr 1, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #4,783 of 4,909
I have fun sometimes sitting in my listening chair, going back and forward between my NDH 30s and ATC SCM100ASLs monitors. The sound of the NDH 30s is extremely close to that of the ATCs. A remarkable achievement.

Not everyone would enjoy that sound presentation, I know, but for me clean, accurate, detailed and honest is where it’s at, even if I also sometimes enjoy a more entertaining (although less accurate) sound presentation, like watching movies with some closed back headphones.
06C17CCB-A56C-4DE5-9B22-924A0418D985.jpeg

Apr 1, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #4,784 of 4,909
I have fun sometimes sitting in my listening chair, going back and forward between my NDH 30s and ATC SCM100ASLs monitors. The sound of the NDH 30s is extremely close to that of the ATCs. A remarkable achievement.

Not everyone would enjoy that sound presentation, I know, but for me clean, accurate, detailed and honest is where it’s at, even if I also sometimes enjoy a more entertaining (although less accurate) sound presentation, like watching movies with some closed back headphones.06C17CCB-A56C-4DE5-9B22-924A0418D985.jpeg
I've been dragging to get the black 30 to keep in stock form. This photo just did it for me, black NDH 30 ordered :L3000:

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #4,785 of 4,909
I've been dragging to get the black 30 to keep in stock form. This photo just did it for me, black NDH 30 ordered :L3000:
I actually like the original, but having two already and the NDH 20 in black it would be hard for me to justify buying a black NDH 30! And the silver goes well with my headphone amp! 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back