Neumann NDH 30
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #4,744 of 4,884

Our EP was co-mixed and mastered with the Neumann-NDH-30. We have gone for a warm, kinda bass heavy sound. But you can EQ it how you like :wink:
Please share it around if you like it! It's a free download :)

Ι'm in my parked car right now, waiting for my little daughter to finish her piano lesson. The "tape" flutter of the piano was the first thing to strike me in this piece through the mediocre audio system of the car (then I read Mike's comment and your answer that it is indeed an intentional flutter.) I"ll have a better listening at home with the NDH 30 and I will post impressions.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #4,745 of 4,884
Ι'm in my parked car right now, waiting for my little daughter to finish her piano lesson. The "tape" flutter of the piano was the first thing to strike me in this piece through the mediocre audio system of the car (then I read Mike's comment and your answer that it is indeed an intentional flutter.) I"ll have a better listening at home with the NDH 30 and I will post impressions.
We experimented a lot with sound :) thanks for taking a listen and for giving feedback, looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #4,747 of 4,884
I had a listen last night (all 6 tracks) and I think that you succeeded to give an overall nice balance to the sound. May be it is slightly bass heavy at some points, as you intended, but not in a distracting way at all, actually it is well fitting. Hi hats (also electronic I believe?) sound natural enough though their decay comes too fast at places. While musically it is not very close to my favourite genres I liked the 5th and 6th track. I will play this EP again. Keep up! (Is the concept - composition yours or are you only involved technically?)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #4,748 of 4,884
I had a listen last night (all 6 tracks) and I think that you succeeded to give an overall nice balance to the sound. May be it is slightly bass heavy at some points, as you intended, but not in a distracting way at all, actually it is well fitting. Hi hats (also electronic I believe?) sound natural enough though their decay comes too fast at places. While musically it is not very close to my favourite genres I liked the 5th and 6th track. I will play this EP again. Keep up!
Hey thanks a lot for your feedback and support! The drums are actually a real kit, played by me. :) Feel free to share the EP around, if you like. On the first of May the EP will release on streaming services, too!

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #4,749 of 4,884
Listened to the EP last night switching between NDH30 and monitor speaker. It is indeed bass heavy, more of a rounded if the edges bass presentation but did manage to hear some texture in the bass and wanted more of that texture. Everything else was good. I hear nuances and detail. Over all sound is dark/warm as you describe with everything else balanced.

Enter this morning and having a good grasp of how the EP sound it’s time to see how an NDH30 mixed and mastered EP sound on other phone/s and just as I suspected it sounded best on the AWKT. It was really really good!! I get way more of the hinted bass texture that I wanted more of with good sub bass extension, balanced and controlled. The mids got pushed out more up front from its original presentation. It was fast, lively and refreshing on the AWKT. It also translated very well on the TAGO T3-03.

Conclusion.. NDH30 as a recording studio tool worked as intended.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #4,750 of 4,884
Listened to the EP last night switching between NDH30 and monitor speaker. It is indeed bass heavy, more of a rounded if the edges bass presentation but did manage to hear some texture in the bass and wanted more of that texture. Everything else was good. I hear nuances and detail. Over all sound is dark/warm as you describe with everything else balanced.

Enter this morning and having a good grasp of how the EP sound it’s time to see how an NDH30 mixed and mastered EP sound on other phone/s and just as I suspected it sounded best on the AWKT. It was really really good!! I get way more of the hinted bass texture that I wanted more of with good sub bass extension, balanced and controlled. The mids got pushed out more up front from its original presentation. It was fast, lively and refreshing on the AWKT. It also translated very well on the TAGO T3-03.

Conclusion.. NDH30 as a recording studio tool worked as intended.
Great and detailed feedback, thanks a lot! That was an awesome read. :) Also thanks so much for listening and taking the time to write down your thoughts. :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #4,753 of 4,884
One observation with the ndh30. I find myself listening to the music as opposed to listening to the sound.
It just doesn't draw unnecessary attention to itself.
I have this even more with the HD 600, super relaxing sound sig for me. The NDH-30 is great for gaming, by the way. :)

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #4,755 of 4,884
I spent a few hours with the NDH 30 and I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, what was announced has been achieved. These headphones sound in a way that can be compared to the sound of studio monitors, and in the entire frequency spectrum (that I can hear, i.e. up to 17 kHz) they sound very coherent, calm and even relaxing.

On the other hand - compared to my HD 600 (with Custom Cans mods), there is clearly less detail, and this is the detail that sometimes determines my positive or negative attitude towards, for example, a given interpretation of a symphonic piece. A good example here would be Krzysztof Penderecki's Anaklasis and Polimorphia (both from Naxos). When I receive an engaging presentation on the HD 600, full of details, causing a synesthetic effect in my imagination, the genius of the composer and the values of the conductor's interpretation are clear, obvious, and simply delightful to me. NDH 30 doesn't have that - I feel that they are just very solid recordings... and nothing more. The sounds of wind instruments, timpani, and double bass are not as long and expressive. On the HD 600 - knowing the room where the recordings were made - I can hear the interior of the National Philharmonic in Warsaw, but on the NDH 30 this is not there.

Although I admit - listening on HD 600 is more burdensome for me. I can't do this for too long - I get tired and after a while, I get a headache. So, in theory, I should be able to spend more time with the NDH 30, although... that is not the case. When I put them on for the first time, I thought they were OK. However, when I switched to HD 600 I realised I have never appreciated how light-weight and comfortable on the head HD 600 are.

Finally - on NDH 30 every album I listened to sounded good. On the HD 600, production issues and recording advantages immediately come to the fore... I understand that this may be an advantage for many people. It's simply easier to listen, but I'm very interested in these differences and without them, I find listening to music quite uncomfortable.

I would never say that these are weak headphones, on the contrary - their soundstage, abundant bass presentation, delicate treble, and naturalness of timbre are undoubted advantages.

As the old saying goes: "the good God is in the details" - I just got used to looking Him in the eye and the NDH 30 doesn't give me a chance to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back