Neumann NDH 30
Jan 28, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #4,591 of 4,975
I've spent more time with neumanns. And I have to say they really have more resolution than hd650.

My initial brief pros and cons compared to hd650:
pros:
- absolutely non-fatiguing sound;
- better stereo image;
- better separation;
- better bass.

cons:
- less comfortable and heavier;
- absolutely horrible positioning on head (1mm movement changes sound drastically);
- not engaging;
- voices are not so "honey";
- sometimes too dark;
- cable is a piece of crap, garbage.
Be careful to wear the NDH 30 with the cable on the Right side as intented by design. This headphone is somewhat sensitive to positioning because of the off centered and angled drivers but 1mm of movement changes nothing at all, unless you wear them with the cable on the left!

Also, it sounds darker with the cable on the left because the drivers will take a position almost behind the ear.

My impression about the cable after more than a year is that it is one of the best. Very high quality, practical and strong. I would like a shorter one though. It is microphonic only when its weight holds it straight and in tension.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #4,593 of 4,975
@headstef I wear them properly with the cable on the right sight. Positioning changes sound so much and it's a huge drawback. It's not an issue with hd6x0.
Maybe the intensity of this effect varies with the shape of the individual's ears. Luckily it is not a problem in my case.
In the past I did research and measured this effect:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-30.963439/page-16#post-17236966
See in the graphs how the FR as measured with the "miniDSP Ears" changes with every 3mm of movement. The higher curves show the measured FR in the middle positions (explained in the text).

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #4,594 of 4,975
Maybe the intensity of this effect varies with the shape of the individual's ears. Luckily it is not a problem in my case.
In the past I did research and measured this effect:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-30.963439/page-16#post-17236966
See in the graphs how the FR as measured with the "miniDSP Ears" changes with every 3mm of movement. The higher curves show the measured FR in the middle positions (explained in the text).
Yeah ~10db is a huge audio difference. I agree with this measurements.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #4,595 of 4,975
Think about this positively as you can now tune the headphone to suit the specific music by simply moving your cans around.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #4,596 of 4,975
Yeah ~10db is a huge audio difference. I agree with this measurements.
Luckily, 10 dB only happens at about 16 kHz (an area unfortunately inaudible for listeners above 30-35 years old). It is less than 6dB (-4dB, +2dB from the central position moving fully to the front or fully to the rear) at the area with the biggest audible effect aka the mids above 1kHz.
Anyway, one very fast and intuitively learns to position the NDH 30 correctly every time. After a few uses, honestly, it ceases to be an issue.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #4,598 of 4,975
Be careful to wear the NDH 30 with the cable on the Right side as intented by design. This headphone is somewhat sensitive to positioning because of the off centered and angled drivers but 1mm of movement changes nothing at all, unless you wear them with the cable on the left!

Also, it sounds darker with the cable on the left because the drivers will take a position almost behind the ear.

My impression about the cable after more than a year is that it is one of the best. Very high quality, practical and strong. I would like a shorter one though. It is microphonic only when its weight holds it straight and in tension.
Yes cable is excellent quality and the rubber coating used at input to phones does minimize microphonics.
Also a bit easier to insert compared to my other 2 quality cables.
Agree that unless you are shifting the cups all the way over there is not that significant a change in sound.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #4,601 of 4,975
I sold my ndh30 couple weeks ago, but did use them for a year. I can give brief comparisons to LCD2f and Verite C. They are way more comfortable than the ndh-20, and are a great price/performance unit for $650. The bass did extend low but didn't have as much slam as open back planars like lcd2 or even the ndh20, though I suspect this is partly due to the suede pads vs leather or the harder ndh20 pads. It is very revealing and highly technical, as they were designed for studio use. From a solely music enjoyment perspective, they were very detailed, had good performance but sounded dry and not as fulfilling or fun like the audeze or zmf headphones. I don't think they can compete with $1000+ headphones. Soundstage is very narrow, with it being more of a "wall of sound" like the lcd2 rather than a room of instruments like the Verite C (even though it's a closed back). The ndh30 responded very well to eq (though its stock tuning is also very good).

I think out of all the headphones I have tried and owned, these have the most "neutral" sound signature I have heard (bass, mids, and treble are all tonally balanced with none standing out over the other 2). The treble and mids show all the details but lack the soundstage and doesn't sound as "natural" as higher tier headphones (like the verite) Comfort is decently good (way better than ndh20), though the material used for pads this time around is more prone to wear and tear as well as dust and hair settling on it. For $650, its competitors are ndh20, lcd2c, meze 109, sendy aiva, dca open. I think the nd30 has the sturdiest construction out of them all and will outlive the others. Music enjoyment wise is very preference-based, but I would personally shell out a little more for a lcd2c or get a dca aeon open. I think a very solid pair of cans, but if you prefer a warmer sound like me, you will look elsewhere. If you like a neutral sound signature or an upgrade from the hd6xx, this will be what you're looking for. Paired with a hybrid tube amp like the xduoo ta20+, the ndh30 did sound more natural and warmer, but even then I couldn't justify keeping them after getting a lcd2.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #4,602 of 4,975
Sounds nothing like my pair. I sold LCD3 and HEK in favor of NDH30 😄

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #4,603 of 4,975
similar here. Sold Meze 109, HEK v2, Arya Stealth in favor of NDH 30. It's more preference than technical abilities. None of those phones is as accurate as NDH 30. They added too much flavor. I am looking for headphone that can produce music as accurately as possible with as little "enhancement" as possible. ..

At this moment I am real interested in the HD490. These highlighted in red is what I am looking for. Anyone compare to NDH 30? esp the accurate playback

1706555294632.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #4,604 of 4,975
I have NDH-30. I like them as they are. I also have Beyer DT 990 pro. I like them (the DT 990) well enough with my RME; but not so much with the Midgard: isn't that strange? Or not! We all have preferences.
The NDH-30, to my ears, is very nice.
I will be curious to see what HD 490 Pro brings to the table. But then again, why change when I am satisfied?
It really is a personal. All I can say is, if you enjoy your sound, awesome. And don't shut the door when you get a chance to audition other phones. :)

Frui diem.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #4,605 of 4,975
I sold my ndh30 couple weeks ago, but did use them for a year. I can give brief comparisons to LCD2f and Verite C. They are way more comfortable than the ndh-20, and are a great price/performance unit for $650. The bass did extend low but didn't have as much slam as open back planars like lcd2 or even the ndh20, though I suspect this is partly due to the suede pads vs leather or the harder ndh20 pads. It is very revealing and highly technical, as they were designed for studio use. From a solely music enjoyment perspective, they were very detailed, had good performance but sounded dry and not as fulfilling or fun like the audeze or zmf headphones. I don't think they can compete with $1000+ headphones. Soundstage is very narrow, with it being more of a "wall of sound" like the lcd2 rather than a room of instruments like the Verite C (even though it's a closed back). The ndh30 responded very well to eq (though its stock tuning is also very good).

I think out of all the headphones I have tried and owned, these have the most "neutral" sound signature I have heard (bass, mids, and treble are all tonally balanced with none standing out over the other 2). The treble and mids show all the details but lack the soundstage and doesn't sound as "natural" as higher tier headphones (like the verite) Comfort is decently good (way better than ndh20), though the material used for pads this time around is more prone to wear and tear as well as dust and hair settling on it. For $650, its competitors are ndh20, lcd2c, meze 109, sendy aiva, dca open. I think the nd30 has the sturdiest construction out of them all and will outlive the others. Music enjoyment wise is very preference-based, but I would personally shell out a little more for a lcd2c or get a dca aeon open. I think a very solid pair of cans, but if you prefer a warmer sound like me, you will look elsewhere. If you like a neutral sound signature or an upgrade from the hd6xx, this will be what you're looking for. Paired with a hybrid tube amp like the xduoo ta20+, the ndh30 did sound more natural and warmer, but even then I couldn't justify keeping them after getting a lcd2.
Dry sounding ?? They are anything but dry sounding. Very lush on my rigs. Sometimes i find it a bit too lush. Have to think your pair may not be totally representative. Dont recall anyone complaining about dryness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back