Neumann NDH 30
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #4,216 of 4,938
Always worth comparing yet again. Nope, that reviewer was definitely talking from the place that the sun doesn’t shine….. No point even starting to go into any details. I’ll probably never sell my Hd650 - it will always be a great reference point, and it’s rightly earned that place, but really, better than the NDH 30?

8E1AA811-2DF3-4608-892A-4674980E647A.jpeg

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #4,217 of 4,938
Always worth comparing yet again. Nope, that reviewer was definitely talking from the place that the sun doesn’t shine….. No point even starting to go into any details. I’ll probably never sell my Hd650 - it will always be a great reference point, and it’s rightly earned that place, but really, better than the NDH 30?

The only thing I don’t like about headphones with an impedance below 300 Ohms: NDH 30, HD 400 Pro, HD 660S, is that you can’t listen to them very loudly. So when I want to listen to a couple of tracks until my ears ring, I listen to the HD 650 :wink:

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #4,218 of 4,938
The only thing I don’t like about headphones with an impedance below 300 Ohms: NDH 30, HD 400 Pro, HD 660S, is that you can’t listen to them very loudly. So when I want to listen to a couple of tracks until my ears ring, I listen to the HD 650 :wink:
Maybe it’s simply the headphones you’re trying, but that hasn’t been the case for me with some other headphones. I found the HD 400 Pro and HD 660S not ideal for louder listening and don’t think it’s due to their impedance. I found many newer Senns have a somewhat taut and strained sound characteristic to them and this is the culprit of the fatigue they can induce on certain systems and with louder listening. The HD 660S2 has this slightly but not as much. But I find it’s not really present in the HD 600 and HD 650. If there is an advantage I think the older Hd 6xx series has over the new, its effortlessness that’s consistently present across systems, they’re also a bit more raw sounding than the newer Senns. I can also listen to either of my two Beyers louder than the HD 600/650 without fatigue and they’re only 32 Ohm and 25 Ohm respectively.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #4,220 of 4,938
Have yet to own the DT1990 or T1s so if anyone is looking for a trade. :sunglasses:
The Tesla Beyers are something special to me even though many are on the bright side, there is a special euphonic quality to them I haven't really heard replicated. They're all vivid sounding too. Different than the more relaxed nature of Senns.

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #4,221 of 4,938
I've experienced similar just with the HD660S and the HD660S2, although I cannot substantiate it but there could be some truth behind it.
There have been a number of incidences with Focals that were driven a bit too hard.

https://thegreatestsong.com/ohms-impedance-headphones/
"Higher impedance does not necessarily mean better sound quality but there are significant advantages to higher impedance designs.
Higher impedance headphones use a thinner wire for the voice coil resulting in a lower mass. With less mass to move, they are easier to drive. Lower mass almost always means better transient response.
The thinner the wire used in the voice coil, the more times it can be wrapped around. More wrapping results in a stronger magnetic field which tends to reduce overall distortion.
As discussed above, the higher impedance also demands less electrical current, which also reduces overall distortion. "

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #4,222 of 4,938
The Tesla Beyers are something special to me even though many are on the bright side, there is a special euphonic quality to them I haven't really heard replicated. They're all vivid sounding too. Different than the more relaxed nature of Senns.
The AKG K812, and the K872 a little less so, but I wouldn't call them bright per say, more euphoric than euphonic and prone to a bout of over enthusiasm once in awhile.
As a tool they'll let you hear a pin drop so can be quite captivating with some recordings, just not your everyday phone.

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #4,223 of 4,938
Other opinions voiced.

https://den-fi.com/neumann-ndh-30/
“Lastly, the treble. As a vocal advocate of darker frequency responses in headphones (in a hobby seemingly dominated by treble-forward "detail cannons"), this is simply too dark.”

I wouldn’t call the NDH30 dark though, polite yes, but in a balanced way that will sound fine to many listeners.
Currently the Neumann and I are getting along. 😎
Perhaps it’s the Neumann veil, and could be alleviated by replacing the orange felt in front of the drivers with a thin foam.

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #4,224 of 4,938
Perhaps it’s the Neumann veil, and could be alleviated by replacing the orange felt in front of the drivers with a thin foam.
That would indeed work somewhat, not a big deal as I have other phones, most of my listening is with the HD820 and HD800S.
I would love to try something new like the Stax SR-X-9000, maybe in another life. :sunglasses:

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #4,225 of 4,938
I’ll note that the headphone that received the most criticism ever for being veiled also went down as the worst headphone in history. Errr…… not! 😉🤣

Could be a useful mod for some though. 👍

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #4,226 of 4,938
The AKG K812, and the K872 a little less so, but I wouldn't call them bright per say, more euphoric than euphonic and prone to a bout of over enthusiasm once in awhile.
As a tool they'll let you hear a pin drop so can be quite captivating with some recordings, just not your everyday phone.
Some of the most enjoyable headphones can only be taken in moderate doses. I do recall enjoying the K812 a lot when I heard it, I recall it being what I hoped the HD 800 (OG) would be. Always had a soft spot for AKG headphones. I find the HD 6xx line everyday headphones, the NDH-30 seemed like one when I listened to it, and I also find the Amiron Home, T1 Gen 2, and T1 Gen 3 everyday headphones. The DT 1990 Pro was pushing it but on the right system was everyday for me.

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #4,227 of 4,938
I’ll note that the headphone that received the most criticism ever for being veiled also went down as the worst headphone in history. Errr…… not! 😉🤣

Could be a useful mod for some though. 👍
I was being a bit facetious. There is no veil. Just pure tone. If chocolate, you taste cocoa, not sugar. I’d say for those who want “tonality accurate”, probably the way to go. Just don’t expect the NDH30 to entertain.

Nov 7, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #4,228 of 4,938
Just don’t expect the NDH30 to entertain.
Here's my thing tho, phones that are fun and entertaining to listen to specially when it comes to "fun" bass gets me bored quick, once I get my fill I'm done. With the NDH 30 I can listen to it for hours on end lost track of time... the price you pay for listening to something more "real-life" sound.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #4,229 of 4,938
I was being a bit facetious. There is no veil. Just pure tone. If chocolate, you taste cocoa, not sugar. I’d say for those who want “tonality accurate”, probably the way to go. Just don’t expect the NDH30 to entertain.
Here's my thing tho, phones that are fun and entertaining to listen to specially when it comes to "fun" bass gets me bored quick, once I get my fill I'm done. With the NDH 30 I can listen to it for hours on end lost track of time... the price you pay for listening to something more "real-life" sound.
The NDH 30 just lets the music entertain you (big time), without unnecessary ornaments. I too can't stop listening. Every work/recording imposes its own colors, mood and character. This headphone almost disappears sonically.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #4,230 of 4,938
With NDH-30, the only listening fatigue that I encounter occurs during the afternoon after a late, late night session … 😜😵‍💫

Users who are viewing this thread

Back