Neumann NDH 30
Nov 8, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #4,232 of 5,005
I was being a bit facetious. There is no veil. Just pure tone. If chocolate, you taste cocoa, not sugar. I’d say for those who want “tonality accurate”, probably the way to go. Just don’t expect the NDH30 to entertain.
Haha! You got me….. I think that too much engagement with Rob had convinced me that the NDH 30 may be perceived as too dark.
Personally I wouldn’t want it to be any brighter - it seems to be perfectly balanced to me, and I totally agree with your comments and assessment above.

I also agree the @ThEvil0nE that headphones which are ‘entertaining’ can quickly become ‘too much of a good thing’ and usually become boring or tiring. The NDH 30 allows you to enjoy music with its natural sound and faithful timbre and its seeming ability to change character according to the music, without a hint of fatigue. The only downside I can think of is that they're very revealing of the source and will expose any weakness in either the recording or the equipment, just as any accurate transducer should.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #4,233 of 5,005
With NDH-30, the only listening fatigue that I encounter occurs during the afternoon after a late, late night session … 😜😵‍💫
jonathan, I've just read through your equipment list properly - just scanned through it before now. You have some impressive headphones! How would you place the NHD 30 in that long list that you own? That's a very open question, I know, but I'll let you answer as you like without giving you any parameters! :wink:

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #4,234 of 5,005
jonathan, I've just read through your equipment list properly - just scanned through it before now. You have some impressive headphones! How would you place the NHD 30 in that long list that you own? That's a very open question, I know, but I'll let you answer as you like without giving you any parameters! :wink:
In the top five. Mind you, all the headphones do get ‘headtime’. The sonic presentations obviously vary across the list; use depends on what I am in the mood for.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #4,235 of 5,005
I think that too much engagement with Rob had convinced me that the NDH 30 may be perceived as too dark.
Don't believe I said dark,
I wouldn’t call the NDH30 dark though, polite yes, but in a balanced way
.......just not a very dynamic driver so no or very little listening fatigue, and with the filter Beagle pointed out helps reduce any excess treble energy and a smooth listen, good for long sessions.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #4,236 of 5,005
In the top five. Mind you, all the headphones do get ‘headtime’. The sonic presentations obviously vary across the list; use depends on what I am in the mood for.
Which ones in your collection compete for the other four places?

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #4,237 of 5,005
Which ones in your collection compete for the other four places?
No competition, no headphones ‘duking it out on the shelf’ …. mood determines selection. The other four, currently, are: ZMF Atrium (LTD Cocobolo), Grado PS2000e, Audeze LCD-X (2016), Sennheiser HD600 (Custom Cans mod / jonathan c mod).

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #4,240 of 5,005
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #4,242 of 5,005
I don't know which to choose.
That is why, for me, choice of headphone(s) for a listen is dependent on ‘mood’…

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #4,243 of 5,005
So how are the Grados like? Compared directly to the NDH...
… too long a term paper … I’ll settle for “F” 😉

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #4,244 of 5,005
Nov 8, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #4,245 of 5,005
My response was way more helpful 🤣
Between your beef and wine analogies I'm hankering for a nice steak frites. :sunglasses: :wine_glass:🇫🇷
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 2.16.28 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back