Neumann NDH 30
Apr 1, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #1,621 of 4,884
The lowlier HD560S actually sounds quite good too(it's supposed to have the NDH-30 drivers).

I saw an verdict that it is distorting and being subpar. I can't agree. That particular poster on whatever site used a LG V60 phone which can put out max 2.0V which is not very good with a 120 Ohm headphone. I'm using it right now with a headphone amp running on a 16V power brick which should have more voltage swing and actually it sounds quite clean and low distorting especially on modern bass heavy music. It can handle mega bass tracks without clipping even if it's not a bassy sounding can by itself. You can hear it's a cheap frame and not much damping, but the driver seems to do it's job and maintain control even at high SPL. It could actually really be that the cups on the NDH-30 are so much better damped etc making the main part of the difference. 5 times more expensive, but oh well, NDH-30 do sound better.

I think I saw something about the NDH-30 cups being made to minimize reflections causing diffraction distortion, the HD560S has nothing of the sorts and should have less precision if only because of that.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #1,622 of 4,884
The lowlier HD560S actually sounds quite good too(it's supposed to have the NDH-30 drivers).

I saw an verdict that it is distorting and being subpar. I can't agree. That particular poster on whatever site used a LG V60 phone which can put out max 2.0V which is not very good with a 120 Ohm headphone. I'm using it right now with a headphone amp running on a 16V power brick which should have more voltage swing and actually it sounds quite clean and low distorting especially on modern bass heavy music. It can handle mega bass tracks without clipping even if it's not a bassy sounding can by itself. You can hear it's a cheap frame and not much damping, but the driver seems to do it's job and maintain control even at high SPL. It could actually really be that the cups on the NDH-30 are so much better damped etc making the main part of the difference. 5 times more expensive, but oh well, NDH-30 do sound better.

I think I saw something about the NDH-30 cups being made to minimize reflections causing diffraction distortion, the HD560S has nothing of the sorts and should have less precision if only because of that.
The best and most accurate sound is not just a high-tech driver or expensive materials... First of all, it is a combination of correct and modern engineering solutions with the most accurate calculations and accurate design tolerances. And never forget that everything ingenious is simple!

I think that Neumann tried very hard when they made the NDH 30, but without luck and a happy accident, it is unlikely that they would have produced such an incredible sound in terms of accuracy and musicality.

In other words - I'm sure they just happened to be lucky with the NDH 30, like all of us who have them and enjoy their sound)))

Apr 1, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,623 of 4,884
That particular poster on whatever site used a LG V60 phone which can put out max 2.0V which is not very good with a 120 Ohm headphone.
Neither with the NDH 30 nor the HD 650, on the V60 smartphone, you can hear distortion, unlike the HD560s.
I also used Fiio K9 Pro AKM :wink:
Here are the measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd560s-review-headphone.29603/
And I don't understand how you don't hear bass distortion that grows rapidly with level.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401-143006_(1).png
    Screenshot_20230401-143006_(1).png
    391.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230401-144753_(1).png
    Screenshot_20230401-144753_(1).png
    156.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #1,625 of 4,884
But I thought this thread was a safe space :)
I keep trying to reign it in when I'm over there in 660S2 land
Believe I'm to blame for the start of all the banter. :triportsad:
Back in October I stumbled on the NDH20 and NDH30 threads and curiosity got the better of me....."With my recent interest in this headphone I couldn't stop a nagging feeling that we've been down this road before..."
Sure enough..in reference to the NDH20"Neumann’s engineers have supplied themselves with components on Sennheiser’s parts warehouse, when assembling NDH 20. The basic model is the now discontinued Sennheiser HD 630VB"
https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/headphones/best-premium-class-headphones/neumann-ndh-20

Even down to the orange insert. : ) I'm sure there are differences but now I'm curious to hear the Senn. :)

Same offset driver.
.........and even though I did not need another headphone folks here kept nudging me toward getting the NDH30s (little devils) as it's the be all to end all, maybe so but then Sennheiser had to go and announce the HD660S2. I finally did cave in for a new headset, but not for the Neumann.
In the end the decision had more to do with the form factor and intended use as the Sennheiser are, lighter, smaller, more secure with a tighter fitting and less fussy about placement and so fit the bill, and as the S2 were indeed an upgrade "for me" over the resident HD660S the Neumann would need to wait.....I've betrayed the thread. Mea culpa.... :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #1,626 of 4,884
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,627 of 4,884

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401-151414_(1).png
    Screenshot_20230401-151414_(1).png
    235.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #1,628 of 4,884
Isn't that after EQ'ing subbass and very loud listening levels?
Amir likes his volume.
I'm glad you have a different version of the HD560s, better quality and no distortion in the low frequency range. You seem to be more fortunate. But I have no more desire to discuss these headphones.

Apr 1, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #1,629 of 4,884

Thank you for your post. It make my life more easier now...

Apr 1, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,630 of 4,884
Neither with the NDH 30 nor the HD 650, on the V60 smartphone, you can hear distortion, unlike the HD560s.
I also used Fiio K9 Pro AKM :wink:
Here are the measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd560s-review-headphone.29603/
And I don't understand how you don't hear bass distortion that grows rapidly with level.

I suppose my ears can't stand such high level so I do not even test it LoL

At normal what I would call high levels bass is pretty clean
(unless you have a defect pair of course)

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #1,633 of 4,884
Is this distortion audible on the 560S? I mostly use them with sound compressor on games...

As I said they are pretty clean, of course they can be overdriven but I would also say that is at unhealthy SPL

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,634 of 4,884
Hi,
I have the NDH-30 and really like them. I have other flagships that I have loved for years, and now I find myself preferring the Neumann's tonal balance, specifically because of the present midrange that is not emphasized in lower midrange. I find the headphone to be dybamic, impactful, well balanced, and relatively clear. I do think it could be clearer and I do think it lacks a little air. I would really like slightly more upper midrange/lower treble, and a slight bit more perceived treble extension - I am talking just a few decibels more, nothing radical.

Has anyone tried different pads that might create this slightly brighter sound I crave.

Also, and I am not sure why I wonder about this, but does anyone feel any of the ZMFs offer similar midrange presence to the NDH30 with maybe a slightly brighter upper frequency? I have not heard ZMF, but people seem to think they have great midrange presence.

Apr 2, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #1,635 of 4,884
Hi,
I have the NDH-30 and really like them. I have other flagships that I have loved for years, and now I find myself preferring the Neumann's tonal balance, specifically because of the present midrange that is not emphasized in lower midrange. I find the headphone to be dybamic, impactful, well balanced, and relatively clear. I do think it could be clearer and I do think it lacks a little air. I would really like slightly more upper midrange/lower treble, and a slight bit more perceived treble extension - I am talking just a few decibels more, nothing radical.

Has anyone tried different pads that might create this slightly brighter sound I crave.

Also, and I am not sure why I wonder about this, but does anyone feel any of the ZMFs offer similar midrange presence to the NDH30 with maybe a slightly brighter upper frequency? I have not heard ZMF, but people seem to think they have great midrange presence.
Have you tried simply moving them back very slightly on your head so your ears are a little closer to the driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back