Neumann NDH 30
Mar 31, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,591 of 4,920
from memory the mids on the S2 don't seem as present as the 30, but i'm sure my opinion will change once i listen side by side...

Yeap. That is exactly the diff. I think if you compare them side by side, its even more obvious. The HD660S2 vocal will seem to have 3 layers of disc foam This was intentional as far as I know, the HD660s2 was tuned for a super relaxed vocal - even more, relaxed than HD650/Hd660. Also note the bass, HD660s2 sub bass will not go very deep, but satisfying enough. NDH 30 bass is deep - planar deep. similar Arya or He1000v2 but the dynamic version of deep bass. I think they compliment each other.

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,594 of 4,920
You are chipping away at my resistance. lol
I think they’re worth a trial At minimum. I love Sennheiser and knowing they’re related really piqued my interest. If you can order on Amazon it’sa risk free trial :)

That said it will also depend on what you’re looking for sonically. I know you like the 660s2 and from a very brief listen I actually didn’t think they sound related much. The S2 is more in line with the 650’s tonal balance while this one sounds more in line with the 600. Again very minimal listening time, mind you. But I got a strong impression that the S2 and ndh30 were kind of like the 650 and 600. The 650 being darker and bassier, the 600 bring more neutral and balanced. I actually think these two would make great stable mates if you like having more than one headphone. But that’s based on very short listening time and gut reactions. I’ll give them some solid listening this weekend.

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,595 of 4,920
I think they’re worth a trial At minimum. I love Sennheiser and knowing they’re related really piqued my interest. If you can order on Amazon it’sa risk free trial :)

That said it will also depend on what you’re looking for sonically. I know you like the 660s2 and from a very brief listen I actually didn’t think they sound related much. The S2 is more in line with the 650’s tonal balance while this one sounds more in line with the 600. Again very minimal listening time, mind you. But I got a strong impression that the S2 and ndh30 were kind of like the 650 and 600. The 650 being darker and bassier, the 600 bring more neutral and balanced. I actually think these two would make great stable mates if you like having more than one headphone. But that’s based on very short listening time and gut reactions. I’ll give them some solid listening this weekend.
It will be a very interesting comparison. Be sure to feed them with the best recordings and signals possible to find out how they relate in resolution, timbre naturalness and musical engagement. We are tuned!

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,596 of 4,920
That said it will also depend on what you’re looking for sonically. I know you like the 660s2
My appreciation for equipment is as eclectic as my music tastes so no real biases except for my pocket book...but I did make the decision, promise a few years back to limit the number of phones on hand...
As my need for closed back phones is no longer essential I do have my AKG K872s up for grabs, may regret it but just not using them enough to justify having them sitting around looking pretty. : )

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,597 of 4,920
My appreciation for equipment is as eclectic as my music tastes so no real biases except for my pocket book...but I did make the decision, promise a few years back to limit the number of phones on hand...
As my need for closed back phones is no longer essential I do have my AKG K872s up for grabs, may regret it but just not using them enough to justify having them sitting around looking pretty. : )
yeah me too, i'm all over the place with my gear/likes. Dark, neutral, bright, i seem to have each in my lineup, and love them all. i do lean towards dark stuff like the Atticus and HD650 as my go to most of the time, but i'm starting to shift to more balanced sounding sets like the Atrium, HD600, etc. I think that's why my initial reaction to the ndh30 was so strong, it sonically sits right there in that same general ballpark. i do need a massive purge though, my collection is getting out of hand now.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #1,598 of 4,920
Listening to 660S2 and NDH30 while working now...
Neumann handily beating S2 for my personal tastes, and the genres I'm exploring atm.
If I could only own one of these it would definitely be the NDH30.
I can expand on these thoughts later -- and more likely over the weekend -- when I'm not so busy

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,600 of 4,920
I know it’s been said but it’s insane how much the sound changes based on where it is on your head/ears. Too forward and for me gets to be too bright. I enjoy it back farther. Tinnitus makes too bright headphones unpleasant.

I'm sorry to ask, but is the cable on the right? Your definition of the sound match the cable on the left, mismatch for L/R

Mar 31, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,601 of 4,920
I know it’s been said but it’s insane how much the sound changes based on where it is on your head/ears. Too forward and for me gets to be too bright. I enjoy it back farther. Tinnitus makes too bright headphones unpleasant.
Too forward actually takes the treble away! Are you wearing them correctly? Cable must be on the right!!!
Also, wearing them correctly makes them much less position sensitive.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,602 of 4,920
Mar 31, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,603 of 4,920
Listening to 660S2 and NDH30 while working now...
Neumann handily beating S2 for my personal tastes, and the genres I'm exploring atm.
If I could only own one of these it would definitely be the NDH30.
I can expand on these thoughts later -- and more likely over the weekend -- when I'm not so busy
haha, I think you may want to tone down your excitement over NDH30 or risk getting labeled a “NDH30 cult member“ 😂

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #1,604 of 4,920
haha, I think you may want to tone down your excitement over NDH30 or risk getting labeled a “NDH30 cult member“ 😂
But I thought this thread was a safe space :)
I keep trying to reign it in when I'm over there in 660S2 land

Users who are viewing this thread

Back