Neumann NDH 30
Mar 31, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #1,576 of 4,920
Hi, how did you managed to fit, did you cut a little bit of the band?

Yes, cut all the way to the cushion leaving very slight (but dont cut the cushion duh - just at the very end of teh seams) and make sure they are the same length for each cut or the center will be off. When sliding - push all the way in until the plastic clamp just touch the cushion.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #1,577 of 4,920
I'm glad you mentioned this! My replacement set is due in tomorrow and I know i would have just put them on my head, cable left, and gone on my way. i'll have to read up on the head positioning thing. hopefully they fit my fat head ok, it's big haha
Post #23 (page 2) is a perfect example of that mistake. The user unknowingly (even today?) put the headphones in reverse resulting in significant frequency loss in some mid and high areas. This is also undisputably proved by the fact that he observed an unusually strong AND opposite (!) frequency behaviour when he moved the headphones to the back and to the front of his head. In a few words, unknowingly he described very accurately how they behave if positioned backwards, which is incompatible (opposite) with the correct positioning behaviour. It also cost him/her to lose a very fine headphone as he/she sent it back. It was also dismissed by one or two careless youtubers (and by more in-brief listeners, I am sure).
So...
CABLE ON THE RIGHT!
If someone at Neumann reads this (rather unlikely), they should change the low visibility L-R markings with something effective (for the few careless users).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #1,578 of 4,920
Post #23 (page 2) is a perfect example of that mistake. The user unknowingly (even today?) put the headphones in reverse resulting in significant frequency loss in some mid and high areas. This is also undisputably proved by the fact that he observed an unusually strong AND opposite (!) frequency behaviour when he moved the headphones to the back and to the front of his head. In a few words, unknowingly he described very accurately how they behave if positioned backwards, which is incompatible (opposite) with the correct positioning behaviour. It also cost him/her to lose a very fine headphone as he/she sent it back. It was also dismissed by one or two careless youtubers (and by more in-brief listeners, I am sure).
So...
CABLE ON THE RIGHT!
If someone at Neumann reads this (rather unlikely), they should change the low visibility L-R markings with something effective (for the few careless users).
The black edition NDH 20 has a large L and R somehow printed on the orange foam inside the ear cup for precisely this reason.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #1,580 of 4,920
Sorry, double post! The site has been behaving very strangely lately………
Yes, there is currently a problem that the host of head-fi is trying to solve (according to a pop up message by head-fi).
Loading pages or notifications is very slow and unresponsive very often.

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,581 of 4,920
The black edition NDH 20 has a large L and R somehow printed on the orange foam inside the ear cup for precisely this reason.
Also because it is mainly a live/stage monitoring headphone and conditions there include anything from darkness to blinding spotlights.

NDH 20 (black):
NDH20Bk-large.jpg

Maybe this foam should find its way to the NDH 30, too! - lol
(along with the black finish! )

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #1,582 of 4,920

NDH 20 (black):
NDH20Bk-large.jpg

Maybe this foam should find its way to the NDH 30, too!
I personally doubt that either will happen, but you never know….. 😉

If they do make a black NDH 30 they will have to do something with the black colour on the grill because it’s not the same finish as the black on the black edition 20. It would look pretty horrible in my opinion to have both on the same headphone.

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #1,583 of 4,920
Ok i'm having bad luck with Amazon. my first unit was clearly used and went back. Thankfully as soon as i took my box to ups amazon picked up the shipping scan and shipped the replacement. new unit in house and again it looks like a return. this one is clean but the box had no plastic wrap on it, nor any stickers to seal the box. when i pulled the product box out of the shipping box it actually opened (like a book). but the product looks untouched. just curious how other people's boxes arrived, if it was sealed in any way? since they're working without issue and look ok i'll just keep them, but just annoyed at my luck.

ok i'm literally 20 minutes into listening and i can tell these are very good. very very good. way too early to go into details but my first thought was this is what would happen if you modernized the HD600. it's very balanced sounding with nothing that stands out (in a good way). speed and dynamics are excellent. not planar fast but faster than the 600/650. with every song i can't help but think this is a modern HD600.

for perspective i'm not an audio engineer, i listen for pleasure and generally like colored sound signatures. but i do appreciate a good honest headphone like the HD600, and these are very much alike. they're very engaging to me, with good punch and dynamic impact. they're not thin or lean sounding, which i was afraid of. just clean, clear, and natural sounding.

these are my initial impressions with only 20ish minutes in, so huge grain of salt please. but i'm confident i'll be keeping them and enjoying them quite a bit. as each song ends i'm so eager to get to the next. now if only they can do a similar sounding closed set for work i'd be all in!

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,585 of 4,920
Ok i'm having bad luck with Amazon. my first unit was clearly used and went back. Thankfully as soon as i took my box to ups amazon picked up the shipping scan and shipped the replacement. new unit in house and again it looks like a return. this one is clean but the box had no plastic wrap on it, nor any stickers to seal the box. when i pulled the product box out of the shipping box it actually opened (like a book). but the product looks untouched. just curious how other people's boxes arrived, if it was sealed in any way? since they're working without issue and look ok i'll just keep them, but just annoyed at my luck.

ok i'm literally 20 minutes into listening and i can tell these are very good. very very good. way too early to go into details but my first thought was this is what would happen if you modernized the HD600. it's very balanced sounding with nothing that stands out (in a good way). speed and dynamics are excellent. not planar fast but faster than the 600/650. with every song i can't help but think this is a modern HD600.

for perspective i'm not an audio engineer, i listen for pleasure and generally like colored sound signatures. but i do appreciate a good honest headphone like the HD600, and these are very much alike. they're very engaging to me, with good punch and dynamic impact. they're not thin or lean sounding, which i was afraid of. just clean, clear, and natural sounding.

these are my initial impressions with only 20ish minutes in, so huge grain of salt please. but i'm confident i'll be keeping them and enjoying them quite a bit. as each song ends i'm so eager to get to the next. now if only they can do a similar sounding closed set for work i'd be all in!

Yes, its sealed with plastic. Look here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-30.963439/page-62#post-17444298

Not sure if its this way on every market, but, one way to easily check if they were at least used, there are blue stickers on the cable connectors that are very hard to reapply if you get it off...

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,586 of 4,920
Also because it is mainly a live/stage monitoring headphone and conditions there include anything from darkness to blinding spotlights.

NDH 20 (black):
NDH20Bk-large.jpg

Maybe this foam should find its way to the NDH 30, too!
The printer R and L on the fabric, will affect the sound!!! 😃

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,587 of 4,920
Thanks! as annoyed as i am with amazon i think i'll just keep this unit, it is new looking and so far works without issue. people are starting to come into the office now so i gotta switch over to my closed set, but super excited to get home tonight and get this bad boy on some tubes. i was so worried it was being overhyped, but so far i'm very impressed.

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #1,588 of 4,920

Have you had a chance to compare to the HD660S2 yet? I haven't had mine plugged in side-by-side yet. I know this is the comparison everybody's interested in. Sorry you've been having such poor luck with the seemingly used units you've received.

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,589 of 4,920
Have you had a chance to compare to the HD660S2 yet? I haven't had mine plugged in side-by-side yet. I know this is the comparison everybody's interested in. Sorry you've been having such poor luck with the seemingly used units you've received.
unfortunately not yet. amazon actually delivered the box at like 6am this morning so i grabbed it on my way out the door to work and gave it a listen before people started coming into the office. tonight and weekend i'll give them some side by side comparison time. i'm really curious how the S2 will sound when swapping back and forth. from memory the mids on the S2 don't seem as present as the 30, but i'm sure my opinion will change once i listen side by side. for comparisons maybe i'll also run them off my Jot 2 solid state amp so output impedance doesn't affect their sound signatures. being different impedances, my tube amps will color them differently and could affect impressions.

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,590 of 4,920

I personally doubt that either will happen, but you never know….. 😉

If they do make a black NDH 30 they will have to do something with the black colour on the grill because it’s not the same finish as the black on the black edition 20. It would look pretty horrible in my opinion to have both on the same headphone.
Speaking of finishes, the main material of the NDH 30 shell is aluminum, right? But if you test its surface with a multimeter, it is not conductive! The aluminum is uncoated and conductive only at the outer shiny and finely turned ring edge. On the rest of the surface (and other aluminum parts), a hard coating protects this relatively soft metal, also improving the looks. It is a very high quality finish and I would have never discovered it is a coating on the aluminum without the multimeter test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back