Neumann NDH 30
Mar 31, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #1,606 of 4,884
But I thought this thread was a safe space :)
I keep trying to reign it in when I'm over there in 660S2 land
Yes, don’t worry, I was only kidding! 😁 Actually I’m very interested in your upcoming in-depth comparison (as I’m sure are those guys on the S2 thread that are also reading this thread!).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #1,607 of 4,884
For those just getting NDH30, silver > copper for the cable if you like improved transparency, dynamics, top-end extension, resolution and improved realism - I often get spooked by some tracks because I thought I was listening to speakers. Copper > silver if you value a sound profile that stresses less on individual instruments and more on the wholeness of reproduction. The sound is slightly veiled in direct comparison to the silver cable, and imparts that "analog" sound quality to the music - slightly rosy glasses if you will.

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #1,608 of 4,884
For those just getting NDH30, silver > copper for the cable if you like improved transparency, dynamics, top-end extension, resolution and improved realism - I often get spooked by some tracks because I thought I was listening to speakers. Copper > silver if you value a sound profile that stresses less on individual instruments and more on the wholeness of reproduction. The sound is slightly veiled in direct comparison to the silver cable, and imparts that "analog" sound quality to the music - slightly rosy glasses if you will.
Now blindfolded.

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #1,609 of 4,884
I know it’s been said but it’s insane how much the sound changes based on where it is on your head/ears. Too forward and for me gets to be too bright. I enjoy it back farther.
Too forward actually takes the treble away! Are you wearing them correctly? Cable must be on the right!!!
Also, wearing them correctly makes them much less position sensitive.
yes. Always cable on the right. That’s weird. I’ll have to test it more tomorrow.

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #1,610 of 4,884
I know it’s been said but it’s insane how much the sound changes based on where it is on your head/ears. Too forward and for me gets to be too bright. I enjoy it back farther.

yes. Always cable on the right. That’s weird. I’ll have to test it more tomorrow.

You mean head forward or headphone forward. Because its very clear that headphone forward make the driver further away, which affect the highs.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,611 of 4,884
… this isn’t celestial trigonometry which requires GPS location detection … 🤪

Apr 1, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,612 of 4,884
… this isn’t celestial trigonometry which requires GPS location detection … 🤪
i had my dad help me get the optimal position...

1680328044353.png

Apr 1, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #1,616 of 4,884
i had my dad help me get the optimal position...

… NDH-30 is not the model number; it is the maxillofacial coordinate for ‘the optimal position’ of the headphone 👨‍⚕️ 🎧 🥇

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #1,617 of 4,884
finishing up my first night with the ndh 30. i planned on running it on my jot 2 solid state amp to get a baseline for it's sound signature without tube coloration, but one look at my tube amps sunk that plan fast. fired up the tubes and got a good 3-4 hours straight listening. first, it does very well on tubes. i noticed no underdampening or bloat. without a good baseline i can't comment on it's uncolored sound, but tube coloration sounds really good on it. it still leans neutral overall to me tonally, but not in a lean or unengaging way. bass is surprisingly present. it digs deep and punches hard. mids remind me so much of the hd600. they're forward and present but not so much so that they overpower the treble and bass.

i won't go into too much detail, its way too early, but i genuinely enjoyed every second of my time with the 30 so far. i did bring out the infamous hd660s2 for a comparo, but stopped pretty early on, as i just don't know either of them well enough to really give any meaningful comparisons. i will say the s2 overall traded blows pretty equally with the 30. i was struggling to form a strong opinion one way or another which i like more. they're different, that's all i can say so far. if you're looking for one to replace the other, imo that isn't going to happen. i can see how one would prefer the 30 for overall clarity and balance, or the s2 for it's engaging and energetic approach. i don't want to get into anything deep yet with them, they're both just too new to me. but i do like them both, and will definitely keep them both at least for the foreseeable future.

ps cable was on the right! i did notice moving the cups changed the sonics noticeably. i settled on putting them on with my ears slightly towards the back of the cups. it brought out the bass a bit more and gave the vocals a bit more heft.

pss this is one comfortable headphone! i love the ear pads, they're so soft and supple. the s2's material is more scratchy feeling.

Apr 1, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #1,618 of 4,884
Speaking of finishes, the main material of the NDH 30 shell is aluminum, right? But if you test its surface with a multimeter, it is not conductive! The aluminum is uncoated and conductive only at the outer shiny and finely turned ring edge. On the rest of the surface (and other aluminum parts), a hard coating protects this relatively soft metal, also improving the looks. It is a very high quality finish and I would have never discovered it is a coating on the aluminum without the multimeter test.
You may be right, I’m not sure, but I don’t know what the coating or the coating process could be?

The bass player in the show I’m doing is using the original NDH 20 which has the same finish as the 30. He’s not as careful as I am with mine and doesn’t care if they get knocked around a bit - they’re just a tool after all 😉, so his have a dent in the edge of the cup where the two finishes (matt and shiny milled surfaces) meet. I have to say I see no evidence of a coating or surface coming off or breaking in any way due to the damage. Looks like solid metal to me…….?

AF1E0F10-8049-4DF8-8C7A-E4F025ACC0FD.jpeg
8261310D-041F-4F97-8A02-FA14F9F30CDC.jpeg

Are there different grades or strengths of aluminium? The metal does seem quite hard and scratch resistant. But maybe they are coated, as you say!?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #1,619 of 4,884
You may be right, I’m not sure, but I don’t know what the coating or the coating process could be?

The bass player in the show I’m doing is using the original NDH 20 which has the same finish as the 30. He’s not as careful as I am with mine and doesn’t care if they get knocked around a bit - they’re just a tool after all 😉, so his have a dent in the edge of the cup where the two finishes (matt and shiny milled surfaces) meet. I have to say I see no evidence of a coating or surface coming off or breaking in any way due to the damage. Looks like solid metal to me…….?

Are there different grades or strengths of aluminium? The metal does seem quite hard and scratch resistant. But maybe they are coated, as you say!?
I was also puzzled initially but the matt surface is compleatelly non-conducting electrically. This leaves no doubt that there is a very fine non-metallic coating / silver colored paint. The aluminum has no way to become non-conducting on its own (physics). On the other hand, at the milled shiny ring the surface becomes absolutely conductive.
The metal part of the headband is also conductive (it is stainless steel).

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,620 of 4,884
finishing up my first night with the ndh 30. i planned on running it on my jot 2 solid state amp to get a baseline for it's sound signature without tube coloration, but one look at my tube amps sunk that plan fast. fired up the tubes and got a good 3-4 hours straight listening. first, it does very well on tubes. i noticed no underdampening or bloat. without a good baseline i can't comment on it's uncolored sound, but tube coloration sounds really good on it. it still leans neutral overall to me tonally, but not in a lean or unengaging way. bass is surprisingly present. it digs deep and punches hard. mids remind me so much of the hd600. they're forward and present but not so much so that they overpower the treble and bass.

i won't go into too much detail, its way too early, but i genuinely enjoyed every second of my time with the 30 so far. i did bring out the infamous hd660s2 for a comparo, but stopped pretty early on, as i just don't know either of them well enough to really give any meaningful comparisons. i will say the s2 overall traded blows pretty equally with the 30. i was struggling to form a strong opinion one way or another which i like more. they're different, that's all i can say so far. if you're looking for one to replace the other, imo that isn't going to happen. i can see how one would prefer the 30 for overall clarity and balance, or the s2 for it's engaging and energetic approach. i don't want to get into anything deep yet with them, they're both just too new to me. but i do like them both, and will definitely keep them both at least for the foreseeable future.

ps cable was on the right! i did notice moving the cups changed the sonics noticeably. i settled on putting them on with my ears slightly towards the back of the cups. it brought out the bass a bit more and gave the vocals a bit more heft.

pss this is one comfortable headphone! i love the ear pads, they're so soft and supple. the s2's material is more scratchy feeling.
These two headphones are very much appreciated for their tonal balance, the NDH 30 for beeing very loyal to the recording balance and the engineer's choices, the HD-660S for adding just a bit more colour at mid-bass (and treble perhaps). Thus, what is worth to investigate is mostly their resolution ability which, together with the other virtues, can lead to a very natural reproduction and the highest degree of the listener's engagement. Also investigate the imaging and soundstage precision. This investigation requires that the listeners use their finest sources and recordings available to avoid any "bottlenecking" that would reduce the effectiveness and resolution of comparisons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back