Neumann NDH 30
Jun 19, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #2,551 of 4,939
Perhaps the only question, and relating the analogy back to the headphones in question, is whether one should expect to have to, or would be willing to, pay the same for both…….
Well of course no one would suggest an MX5 is worth the cost of a Corvette for example, but we are talking a huge chasm of price difference, multiple 10s of thousands. All my headphones combined cost less than 1 set of “top tier” headphones. Or maybe a couple tires on the Vette.

The 30’s come in as the most expensive at $649, followed by the S2’s which can be had for $499 on Drop, $150 less. Next would be the 600’s for which I paid $259, $390 less, then the 6XX’es, which were the headphones used in the analogy above, $199 on Drop right now, $450 less . Oh, and the Sundaras I bought used for around $150 as I remember, $499 less.

I think they all are worthy headphones and their prices don’t necessarily correspond with their competency or enjoyability. And their prices, while somewhat of a factor in purchasing decisions, are probably not a major concern for MOST of us. Buy what you want, enjoy what you have, life is too short.

Oh and I still think the S2’s are darn fine headphones, so Neener Neener! 😛 😁

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #2,552 of 4,939
Well of course no one would suggest an MX5 is worth the cost of a Corvette for example, but we are talking a huge chasm of price difference, multiple 10s of thousands. All my headphones combined cost less than 1 set of “top tier” headphones. Or maybe a couple tires on the Vette.

The 30’s come in as the most expensive at $649, followed by the S2’s which can be had for $499 on Drop, $150 less. Next would be the 600’s for which I paid $259, $390 less, then the 6XX’es, which were the headphones used in the analogy above, $199 on Drop right now, $450 less . Oh, and the Sundaras I bought used for around $150 as I remember, $499 less.

I think they all are worthy headphones and their prices don’t necessarily correspond with their competency or enjoyability. And their prices, while somewhat of a factor in purchasing decisions, are probably not a major concern for MOST of us. Buy what you want, enjoy what you have, life is too short.

Oh and I still think the S2’s are darn fine headphones, so Neener Neener! 😛 😁
I'm sure the S2s are great, but worth the same as the NDH 30? And what's Drop? (I'm in Europe.... :wink:) Come to that, what's a Corvette?? Hahaha :dt880smile: :beerchug:

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #2,553 of 4,939
To me the craziest thing about the NDH-30 is this ultra low distortion rate with that it achieves with this good of a tuning and a dynamic driver. Rivals really good e-stats. This headphone must have had master tuners and designers behind it.
It had Axel Grell at least. The mind behind the best of the best Sennheisers.

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #2,554 of 4,939
I'm sure the S2s are great, but worth the same as the NDH 30? And what's Drop? (I'm in Europe.... :wink:) Come to that, what's a Corvette?? Hahaha :dt880smile: :beerchug:
Think it's an ancient ship! 😄

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,555 of 4,939
1687181845724.png

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #2,556 of 4,939
NDH30 has a solid cup housing. Why doesn’t Sennheiser take a cue from Neumann and build one of their own, considering that it’s their driver supposedly.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,557 of 4,939
NDH30 has a solid cup housing. Why doesn’t Sennheiser take a cue from Neumann and build one of their own, considering that it’s their driver supposedly.
Knock knock. : )
It's a brilliant design. I know the frame is from a previous Sennheiser headphone, but kudos to Neumann for taking it and turning it into the NDH 30.

IMG_6086.JPG

(Attention: the following plagiarism may be offensive to some viewers.) :beyersmile:

I meant to comment on this before. I agree, the build quality is superb! I still love the six series headphones, and there's no question that they are well made and that the design has stood the test of time, but compared to the HD630VB headphones they feel and look like cheap toys. The HD630VB is heavier, but it's so comfortable, especially with 3rd party leather pads, that it's not an issue and in fact the extra heft feels good and inspires confidence. Aluminium, steel, hard rubber - they're probably virtually indestructible, as well as being aesthetically very pleasing. And yes, the cups swivel so they can lie flat and the headband folds in so that they can be folded up and played in the supplied case. It's a brilliant design. I know the frame is now incorporated in Neumanns headphone, but kudos to Neumann for taking it and turning it into the NDH 30.

Additionally, many people have complained about the cable entering the right hand cup. Being left handed I actually have come to prefer it that way as my typing hand is free and I can adjust the bass, volume, pause, track selection and answer calls.
:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #2,558 of 4,939
Knock knock. : )

(Attention: the following plagiarism may be offensive to some viewers.) :beyersmile:

I meant to comment on this before. I agree, the build quality is superb! I still love the six series headphones, and there's no question that they are well made and that the design has stood the test of time, but compared to the HD630VB headphones they feel and look like cheap toys. The HD630VB is heavier, but it's so comfortable, especially with 3rd party leather pads, that it's not an issue and in fact the extra heft feels good and inspires confidence. Aluminium, steel, hard rubber - they're probably virtually indestructible, as well as being aesthetically very pleasing. And yes, the cups swivel so they can lie flat and the headband folds in so that they can be folded up and played in the supplied case. It's a brilliant design. I know the frame is now incorporated in Neumanns headphone, but kudos to Neumann for taking it and turning it into the NDH 30.

Additionally, many people have complained about the cable entering the right hand cup. Being left handed I actually have come to prefer it that way as my typing hand is free and I can adjust the bass, volume, pause, track selection and answer calls. :sunglasses:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.......:L3000::beerchug:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #2,559 of 4,939

As a proud owner of a silver metallic C5 i will say only the greatest vehicle ever produced :ksc75smile:

Jun 19, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,561 of 4,939
I will take the classic 1958 Lotus Elite Type 14 in British Racing Green … 🙂 … ta! ta! …
0C2A02C2-7C3A-40BC-B993-DF242276E0A0.jpeg

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #2,563 of 4,939
Well NDH30 doesn't need EQ, but some slight adjustments really work wonders. Phew..

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,564 of 4,939
This is what we're working w atm:

+2dB at 27 Hz & Q at 1.4
+0.4 at 200
+0.4 at 500
+0.4 at 2k
+1.1 at 9k

And it looks like this:

DSC_0058.JPG

Not to shabby for a first go w this HP. I've certainly done worse aha

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #2,565 of 4,939